Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1143

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

  1. #1126
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    The Vintagent

    I did not want to share until I knew it would come true, but my bike was just featured in THE VINTAGENT, this is a huge honor, the #1 Vintage Motorcycle Blog in the world written by my friend Paul d'Orleans. WOW, am I stoked!

    http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/201...some-pair.html

    Thanks,
    Shan

  2. #1127
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    Hell Has Frozen Over

    Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    look to be pretty standard bar ends. In most cases you just cut the ends of the grips, put in the bar end and tighten up. Most bar ends have a bolt that when turned, tightens a nut that expands a metal clamp (only thing I can think of to describe it) to the inside of the bar. Nothing special

    If this bike gets on the Vintagent, I'll surely be unsubscribing to that blog - no offense
    I know Paul is a man of his word, now lets see if you are? By the way, offense taken and please eat those words TYP181R90, whoever you are.


  3. #1128
    Superkraut typ181r90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by balkowitsch View Post
    I know Paul is a man of his word, now lets see if you are? By the way, offense taken and please eat those words TYP181R90, whoever you are.

    I am a man of my word, it doesn't really hurt too much to click unsubscribe. My name's Dominic, been a member of the club for 5 years now. I'm 29, married, and a father, you can contact me by pm or via my blog, I'm not hiding. Still not going to eat my words, like I said before the Vintagent has been a blog about the rare and unattainable, your bike was very well made and restored, but is neither rare or unattainable.

    While your contributions to the club have been glamour shots, posting links to the builder's blog, and shopping your purchased bike around, I've been helping cseltz fix the carbs on his R90 and his throttle, helping Roguetek with his clutch question, and giving Katcon my experience with a tank sealer. When you stop shopping your bike to magazines and blogs and have nothing left to post I have a feeling we won't be seeing you much around here anymore, but I'll still be here contributing to the club and the BMW family.

    I've just been informed that the Aermacchi I personally built is going to be featured in a magazine. Other than my primitive blog, I haven't publicized the build at all, but a magazine found it and wanted to feature it. I'm proud of my work and didn't expect or intend for it to be featured in anything, and don't need someone else to reinforce how I feel about my own work (I actually built the bike for my daughter so she could learn how to wrench and ride). Now that it is you won't see me on every Aermacchi forum posting posed pics of myself along with links to the mag articles.

    When I'm in the garage helping my daughter adjust valves or grease steering head bearings on a bike I built for her, I'll be thinking about how you questioned the way my parents raised me, but don't worry I'm not going to ask you to eat your words.

    Good luck with the bike Shane, may it be featured on every magazine in the world!



    Kurt - PM me if I crossed the line
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

    http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

  4. #1129
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    Not the Point

    Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    I am a man of my word, it doesn't really hurt too much to click unsubscribe. My name's Dominic, been a member of the club for 5 years now. I'm 29, married, and a father, you can contact me by pm or via my blog, I'm not hiding. Still not going to eat my words, like I said before the Vintagent has been a blog about the rare and unattainable, your bike was very well made and restored, but is neither rare or unattainable.

    While your contributions to the club have been glamour shots, posting links to the builder's blog, and shopping your purchased bike around, I've been helping cseltz fix the carbs on his R90 and his throttle, helping Roguetek with his clutch question, and giving Katcon my experience with a tank sealer. When you stop shopping your bike to magazines and blogs and have nothing left to post I have a feeling we won't be seeing you much around here anymore, but I'll still be here contributing to the club and the BMW family.

    I've just been informed that the Aermacchi I personally built is going to be featured in a magazine. Other than my primitive blog, I haven't publicized the build at all, but a magazine found it and wanted to feature it. I'm proud of my work and didn't expect or intend for it to be featured in anything, and don't need someone else to reinforce how I feel about my own work (I actually built the bike for my daughter so she could learn how to wrench and ride). Now that it is you won't see me on every Aermacchi forum posting posed pics of myself along with links to the mag articles.

    When I'm in the garage helping my daughter adjust valves or grease steering head bearings on a bike I built for her, I'll be thinking about how you questioned the way my parents raised me, but don't worry I'm not going to ask you to eat your words.

    Good luck with the bike Shane, may it be featured on every magazine in the world!



    Kurt - PM me if I crossed the line
    Kurt, you obviously did not look at this entire thread, the glamour images only came at the end, we started with the raw carnage that was two bikes that had no chance at the road and we shared the transformation as we went along to help others who would like to do the same thing, since when is an unattainable bike a prerequisite for sharing a build? This is about the build and bringing something back to life that we love and cherish and covet. I hope if this thread shows anything, it is that things can be accomplished.

    My response to you is about your rude and flippant comment by stating that you will stop following the Vintagent if my bike is featured there. My Mother taught me better and when people are rude and nasty, you stand up to them. Your comment was not called for and now that my bike is featured on the Vintagent, you have no choice but to eat your words. I will not be responding any further to you on my thread. There was too much comradery before you came on the scene. Do us all a favor and if you see something in someone elses thread that you do not like, move on, don't insult them and then boast about how important you are with all that you do for this community. My build thread has been one of the top threads on this site recently and I am proud of the information that has been shared here. It takes time to update a thread such as this and keep it interesting and keep sharing with everyone, I am not doing this for me, I am doing this for the guys that dream about doing the same thing with their BMW if that is what they want to do.

    Sincerely,
    Shane

  5. #1130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    I am a man of my word, it doesn't really hurt too much to click unsubscribe. My name's Dominic, been a member of the club for 5 years now. I'm 29, married, and a father, you can contact me by pm or via my blog, I'm not hiding. Still not going to eat my words, like I said before the Vintagent has been a blog about the rare and unattainable, your bike was very well made and restored, but is neither rare or unattainable.

    While your contributions to the club have been glamour shots, posting links to the builder's blog, and shopping your purchased bike around, I've been helping cseltz fix the carbs on his R90 and his throttle, helping Roguetek with his clutch question, and giving Katcon my experience with a tank sealer. When you stop shopping your bike to magazines and blogs and have nothing left to post I have a feeling we won't be seeing you much around here anymore, but I'll still be here contributing to the club and the BMW family.

    I've just been informed that the Aermacchi I personally built is going to be featured in a magazine. Other than my primitive blog, I haven't publicized the build at all, but a magazine found it and wanted to feature it. I'm proud of my work and didn't expect or intend for it to be featured in anything, and don't need someone else to reinforce how I feel about my own work (I actually built the bike for my daughter so she could learn how to wrench and ride). Now that it is you won't see me on every Aermacchi forum posting posed pics of myself along with links to the mag articles.

    When I'm in the garage helping my daughter adjust valves or grease steering head bearings on a bike I built for her, I'll be thinking about how you questioned the way my parents raised me, but don't worry I'm not going to ask you to eat your words.

    Good luck with the bike Shane, may it be featured on every magazine in the world!



    Kurt - PM me if I crossed the line


    If ? I may butt in here briefly....I do not know if you've crossed any line? Not my place to say anyway. But I do think you were a bit harsh on Shane. As I see it ? It is two different approaches to owning motorcycles. {I} look at it this way. If Shane had not 'promoted' it as he did ?...{I} perhaps would not have been privileged to see a beautiful motorcycle , and the superb work done by Josh. So ! for that I thank them !...as I enjoyed the Video, pictures, and the story.
    If I may inject an opinion here ? I think for Josh it truly was a labor of love...VERY nicely done. I think for Shane...he's proud & grateful to be the owner of [both] beauties. And I think both guys are somewhat in awe as to how they formed a friendship, over a common bond of things mechanical....pretty neat !

    As for you & you builds ? I wish you would go to the effort of showing & sharing those as well. Being a-bit selfish here....because chances are I would enjoy them as well.
    You sound like a talented guy, good parent...and proud parent of an extraordinary daughter .....be proud !! Show us...

    Hoping you guys can shake hands on this & accept that you have different ways, & put it behind you.

  6. #1131
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    If ? I may butt in here briefly....I do not know if you've crossed any line? Not my place to say anyway. But I do think you were a bit harsh on Shane. As I see it ? It is two different approaches to owning motorcycles. {I} look at it this way. If Shane had not 'promoted' it as he did ?...{I} perhaps would not have been privileged to see a beautiful motorcycle , and the superb work done by Josh. So ! for that I thank them !...as I enjoyed the Video, pictures, and the story.
    If I may inject an opinion here ? I think for Josh it truly was a labor of love...VERY nicely done. I think for Shane...he's proud & grateful to be the owner of [both] beauties. And I think both guys are somewhat in awe as to how they formed a friendship, over a common bond of things mechanical....pretty neat !

    As for you & you builds ? I wish you would go to the effort of showing & sharing those as well. Being a-bit selfish here....because chances are I would enjoy them as well.
    You sound like a talented guy, good parent...and proud parent of an extraordinary daughter .....be proud !! Show us...

    Hoping you guys can shake hands on this & accept that you have different ways, & put it behind you.
    Thanks for the support and kind words. I have no motive other than to share my build with the rest of you, this is a dream come true for me. My Father left us when I was eight years old, my middle brother Chad was 6 and Loren the youngest was a week old. We were poor, we did not go without food, always had a warm roof over our head but we did not have much. I can remember my mother going to the local pawn shop and sold my brothers drum set for some grocery money, others had it way worse, I know, we were always loved.

    So looking back I would have never thought I would ever be in the position to enjoy such things in my life, a custom Porsche and custom BMW motorcycle, are you kidding me, it is a dream come true. Sure there are much nicer and more expensive bikes and cars on the planet, but these are mine and they were built to my exact specifications, it is all very glorious, not in the big scheme of things, but in my world. One of the hardest things about the restoration of both these vehicles was the fact that I felt guilty for spending the money and I had to keep telling myself, you worked hard, you deserve this, so I kept at it. It took nearly 6 years to get these vehicles together from start to finish. It has been a great time sharing on the 356 Registry Site and now on the BMW MOA Site, I have people contact me asking questions, asking me how much I paid for things, where I got certain parts and I always do my best to help that next guy out with his dream, whatever form that may come in.

    Have a great day guys, so very proud to be in the Vintagent, Paul d'Orleans is the man!

    Sincerely,
    Shane
    Last edited by balkowitsch; 10-02-2013 at 02:31 PM.

  7. #1132
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,054
    Let me jump in here and get things cleared up and back on track.

    First, Shane, you responded to a post above as if I had made the comments. I did not...that was someone else.

    Second, this has been a very nice display of passion, workmanship, and dedication to the build, both by the builder and the eventual owner. This thread has been selected as Best of the Forum a while back, so it got the attention of a lot of people. Kudos.

    Third, people have their right to express their opinions here, but of course we do have some boundaries. I have followed this thread from the very beginning and while it is visually stunning, it has had some problems along the way. In my opinion, what has set this latest discussion off was based on one person's personal evaluation of the relevance in the grand scheme of things of how this build might be rated in terms of the breadth of vintage bikes on a specific blog. His stance and viewpoint...nothing more. In no way should that have detracted from the original posters efforts here. I don't feel that was a personal attack and it should have just remained as it was. If anything, people need to either learn to ignore those things or take it off line.

    Fourth, this was in the past and should have remained there. It was brought back and stirred things back up again. That should not have happened. A simple "Hey I'm not being highlighted here..." would have been all that was necessary.

    Again, my opinion people have not crossed the lines...yet. Anymore of this and I'll be forced to close the thread. If you have issues with various people, take it off line. Let's enjoy the thread for what it is and congratulation the owner as he rides his new joy.

    Thanks...the Management
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  8. #1133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC.
    Posts
    723
    Shane ;
    I am sure you could see this kind of thing coming.
    If memory serves you received some negative comments from the Porsche community also.

    Pfft !, let them eat cake.

    IMHO you did a good thing with both builds, you gave full credit to the folks who helped you along the way to realize your dream
    ( it's your dream not theirs)

    If someone thinks you are pandering your bike or car about , they need to attend a real top shelf concour event and see all the posing and fawning that goes on.

    Forget the nay sayer, enjoy the toys.
    and thanks for sharing the build !

  9. #1134
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    I would encourage everybody - including the moderators!!! - to look up the meaning/origin of the word forum and why it is being used on the internet to name exchanges like this here.

    I certainly draw a line when it comes to personal attacks, foul language etc. Other than that - free speech! Especially, voicing opinions.

  10. #1135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    701
    My 2 cents: You can't "restore" a bike into a cafe racer. If it wasn't offered by the factory, then it falls under a different category. At Antique Motorcycle Club of America meets, if a person enters a bike into a show, and it is not completely stock, it would fall into the "modified" category and would have to have any accessories not offered by the manufacturer to be available the year of machines production-if not, then it is graded down for each accessorie that is not "period correct". Restored machines have to be correct in all aspects, down to the spark plug wires, if not, then points are taken away. This may be why whomever would be surprised if the bike was featured in Vintagent (which I am not familiar with) IF Vintagent purports to be for antique bikes. Still, it is a nice build, regardless of who built it, and who paid for it.

  11. #1136
    Registered User toooldtocare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,719
    Shane, the bike is beautiful. Josh did some great work, much better than I could have done. I guess that is why people like Josh are out there, to help us accomplish things we could never do. Thanks for posting the photos and telling us about it.

    I once restored an Austin Healey Sprite, full frame off restoration, and the car was also published in a magazine. It took more than three years, so I know the amount of work involved to restore a vehicle. If I had "modified" it to the same condition using aftermarket parts to improve it or change its form, the work would have still been there.

    Enjoy your bike.

    Wayne

  12. #1137
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Being involved in the Vintage/Classic bike scene a little, due to me owning some, I don't understand the polarisation in this thread here. To me a 75/5 is not really a vintage bike which will increase in value if it is original to the last bolt and washer. It is rather, what I would call a "modern classic" and so modifications according to the taset of the individual owner will enhance the bike. Many bikes from that era (70s and early 80s) can use improvements in chassis and suspension and sometimes even in the powertrain to make it better handling and performing bikes. That is a big part of owning one of them for many.

  13. #1138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    858
    Simon said,


    "I don't understand the polarisation in this thread here."


    And I do not either ? All this nit-pickin over the category [of] the bike ? And weather it belongs in this or that listing ? Why can't we all just enjoy it [& the Porsche] for what they are & be glad for the owner , complementary to the builder???

    If that site Vintagent ? made exception to their format ? That to me is a compliment to both !?

  14. #1139
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    Thanks

    Thanks for all the support. It needs to be said that I requested more than once with the moderators that the rude comment be removed from my thread, and my requests were ignored, if it would have been removed I would have had no need to respond and stand up to such a comment. I guess we now know why our Grandmother's said "If you do not have anything nice to say, say nothing at all". So now I am being threatened by the moderators that they will just pull the plug on a thread that I have spent nearly 2 years on developing and sharing. I am the only one that has something to lose, and if this thread is pulled, we all lose.

    I will try to get some new pictures of the bike so we can put this behind us,

    Thanks again,
    Shane

  15. #1140
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    769

    How Far the Bike has Come

    Here is a picture that will remind us what can be done with a basket case, Josh is the man, he has a passion for these bikes and his skills grow stronger with every bike he saves. I do not know what Josh was thinking writing in dust on the paint of my new bike. 03-23-11_4.jpg

    Thanks,
    Shane

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •