Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Shane, you'll need to keep an eye on the two lower fork caps; they are cadmium plated steel. The cad plating was not very thick and even buffing will destroy it.

The result is that the parts rust quite easily. You may want to apply a clear coat.

This applies to all the steel parts that were not chromed; most fasteners, fork stem nut, foot pegs, band clamps, brake rod, axles, axle nuts, etc.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally Rat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    It takes a special kind of passion that few have to do the projects you have undertaken.
    When I read what you said about never having been in a Porsche and not having ridden a BMW and you still undertake these projects.

All i can say is a tip of the hat to you

I consider myself lucky to be able to keep my air head on the road at this point. Trying to learn as much as i can from the folks here, and over on ADV is my daily goal.

In the past I owned a couple of Porsche's and the 356's are by far my favorite of the mark. They were certainly not concour's babies and my motorbike will never win any prizes. But I subscribe to the theory that they are made to be driven/ridden and that's the way I like them.

Keep posting your progress, can't wait to see the finished product.
    Doug
    Thanks Doug, I agree with you abou driving them, there is a famous story about Ferry Porsche:

Quotes from Ferry Porsche:
    Once, apparently, when shown a gleaming series of restored 911s, Ferry Porsche remarked that it made him quite sad. "Our cars are meant to be driven," he said, "not polished." His other famous quote is "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams so I built it myself."

That is the first impression that people have of my car is "you drive that on the road", thinking it is a trailer queen or something, I may have restored it to showroom quality for my own reasons, but for God's sake I am going to drive the car. It is not a piece of art, it is a automobile that was designed and built to be driven, people are always amazed that I drive it back and forth to work, even take the kids to school in it on those special occassions. I have said it before and I will say it again, having a car or bike like this and not driving it is like have a super model for a wife and not sleeping with her, what is the point? Sure you get to see here naked every once in a while getting out of the shower, but not to experience the car, bike or woman would be a shame indeed. Hopefully this is not getting me in trouble with too many of the female members, but it is a truth from a guys perspective, that is all. When my kids inherit the car and the bike at some point, and if they have some scratches, wear and tear and even a dent or two, at least they can smile and say "Dad put those there!".

Thanks guys for all the support, you are the best.

Sincerely,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Noted

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Shane, you'll need to keep an eye on the two lower fork caps; they are cadmium plated steel. The cad plating was not very thick and even buffing will destroy it.

The result is that the parts rust quite easily. You may want to apply a clear coat.

This applies to all the steel parts that were not chromed; most fasteners, fork stem nut, foot pegs, band clamps, brake rod, axles, axle nuts, etc.
    Thanks Lew, well noted my friend. Josh is aware and he wants this bike to be as little maintenance as possible for me at least cosmetically. Have a great afternoon.

Sincerely,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Valve Covers

Below you will find a picture of my valve covers, remember I initially bought 2 bikes so I have two sets, one set is OK and the other is downright terrible. I am going to order some new valve covers from Hucky's, they are $75 a piece. Josh is going to take the best valve cover we have and make it as a spare with the polishing, so in case I ding one up I will have a spare that is in good condition. We try to use all the original parts, but when something is cosmetically bad, we will usually replace it.

Thanks,
    Shane

This is the best of the 2 pairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat

Bad Set

Perfect for some sort of Rat Rod Bike! Maybe I could clean them up, turn them upside down and put chips on one side and salsa on the other for entertaining guests? Appears to be the prefect shape for this application.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Hucky's Link

Here is the link to see some of the parts:

http://www.bmwhucky.com/007511.html

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Davida Helmet, Goggles and Mask

Nice surprise, my helmet arrived all the way from the U.K.

At least I will look the part, ha ha.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

More Importantly

More importantly, here is the back of my new Davida helmet, hopefully make you guys and gals proud.

Thanks,
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by balkowitsch View Post
    Nice surprise, my helmet arrived all the way from the U.K.

At least I will look the part, ha ha.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Love the helmet picture, as it started to make me laugh, as it reminded me so much of Snoopy on the Peanuts cartoon character when he would sit on his top of his doug house and in his imagination would be flying to avenge the terror of the Red Baron.

Thanks Shane, needed the grin!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by balkowitsch View Post
    Maybe I could clean them up, turn them upside down and put chips on one side and salsa on the other for entertaining guests? Appears to be the prefect shape for this application.
    Great idea! Now I'm thinking about presenting my wife a quiche for two...
    Russ

Rally Rat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b25bsaboy View Post
    Love the helmet picture, as it started to make me laugh, as it reminded me so much of Snoopy on the Peanuts cartoon character when he would sit on his top of his doug house and in his imagination would be flying to avenge the terror of the Red Baron.

Thanks Shane, needed the grin!

Dear Rick,
    That is funny, not really the nostalgic look I was going for, what comes to mind is the below photograph and I think we all have to agree he is the man when it came to any sort of motorized vehicle, whatever it was, nobody was cooler. So Snoopy and Red Barron not so much, Steve McQueen any day of the week!

I am glad that I could put a grin on your face, same grin my wife gets all the time I suppose when she thinks "what is my idiot husband up to this time."

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Poach Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by beemerus View Post
    Great idea! Now I'm thinking about presenting my wife a quiche for two...
    Russ
    I think they would be great for poaching eggs as well, just an idea.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Final Drive and Transmission

Looks a little like my Porsche back in the day, my car was kept in cardboard boxes for nearly 25 years. Here is my final drive and transmission as Josh is transporting it to the mechanic to put it back together and go through it entirely. The last picture is rather cool, how Josh transported the pieces to the mechanic, in the saddle bags of his R100S, how poignant.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Sincerely,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Just Pieces in Boxes

Needs a little assembly.

Rally Rat

Boxes

Cannot believe it hid it all in his bike.
    Last edited by balkowitsch; 03-27-2012 at 02:52 PM.