Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

I mean Paul posted a picture of Darryl Richman (a member here) with his 1928 R52 that he took. Paul is doing his own tin types while riding his own Velocette in the rally. I'm not talking specifically about the one that you've posted as I'm familiar with that picture already

http://www.oily-rag.net/?p=315

// 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Typ181R90 View Post
    I mean Paul posted a picture of Darryl Richman (a member here) with his 1928 R52 that he took. Paul is doing his own tin types while riding his own Velocette in the rally. I'm not talking specifically about the one that you've posted as I'm familiar with that picture already

As you are familiar with this unknown photograph to me, I am familiar with Paul and all of his antics. His written word, lifestyle and wet plate photographs are second to none. The motorcycle world is a better place because of Paul and his cause. I had seen wet plate photographs before but until I saw Paul's the appeal never grabbed me, he is an inspiration. I am glad that I was able to give Ed Ross the credit he deserves for the photograph. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/bmw.htm
    "Don't Hate Me for my Cafe Racer Tendencies"
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Vin Plate Protector

I received my protective case for my VIN plate and emblem, turned out pretty good. Remember this IS NOT an original BMW emblem from my bike, it is some aftermarket emblem that came with one of the bikes, but it is all that we had so I went with it, would have loved to have the original from the factory, but when you buy basket cases like we did, you get what you get if you know what I mean. To have the origina VIN plate is cool though.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Typ181R90 View Post

Darryl's bike is a show stopper, absolutely amazing in every way! Thanks for sharing the photograph.

Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

.... and the image is reversed, why?

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    .... and the image is reversed, why?

Tin types always are as they are direct images and not prints from negatives. Remember the famous picture of Billy the Kid that had everyone thinking he was a lefty? Same situation, he was actually right handed.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I received my protective case...balkowitsch
    Wouldn't that get their attention at your local DMV office.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Wouldn't that get their attention at your local DMV office.
    Yeah, I know what you are getting at, Josh already registered the bike and as long as the replacement VIN has the same data, I cannot imagine an issue, many cars and bikes that are basket cases don't even have such plates, it could be a sticky situatioin, but with me having possessions of the originals for the car and the bike, I don't think there would be much trouble.

How are you doing? Nice to hear from you, have a great weekend Rinty!

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Tin types always are as they are direct images and not prints from negatives.
    !yadyreve wen gnihtemos nrael ay ,denrad eb ll'I

!sknahT
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    !yadyreve wen gnihtemos nrael ay ,denrad eb ll'I

!sknahT
    I take it Lew that you would rather discuss bikes than 1850's photography techniques, point taken,

Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

DMVs are gittin real picky about vin numbers on plates, on vehicles, stamped variously places. My bike sat in a "vehicle 'inspection' center", for about 15-20 minutes, for what I'll never know because I was told to "leave" the "inspection" area until the "inspection" was completed?

Never started the bike, probably couldn't, all I could figger is that they were trying to git a look at that riveted plate behind the fairing, R90S. And after being told the bike "passed", still took over three months to clear the title up all the while fearing that it would be seized if a number turned up stolen in some data base. Two more written communications were needed with follow up on a particular receipt that had been shown three months earlier? Go figure?

Save every friggen receipt ever acquired in a folder for every bike owned. Saved my bike in the end. May be redundant, just sayin.

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    DMVs are gittin real picky about vin numbers on plates, on vehicles, stamped variously places. My bike sat in a "vehicle 'inspection' center", for about 15-20 minutes, for what I'll never know because I was told to "leave" the "inspection" area until the "inspection" was completed?

Never started the bike, probably couldn't, all I could figger is that they were trying to git a look at that riveted plate behind the fairing, R90S. And after being told the bike "passed", still took over three months to clear the title up all the while fearing that it would be seized if a number turned up stolen in some data base. Two more written communications were needed with follow up on a particular receipt that had been shown three months earlier? Go figure?

Save every friggen receipt ever acquired in a folder for every bike owned. Saved my bike in the end. May be redundant, just sayin.
    I had a situation with the Porsche at the DMV, not because of VIN but the original BILL OF SALE was from 2 years previously and the guy I bought the car from disappeared, I had it notorized, but the Bill of Sale had the Engine Numbers on it, but not the VIN, I was there for over an hour and talked to a manager, finally I told them, go to my Build Site and you can see that this is my car, the VIN number was on the Build Site and she said "this is good enough for me", close call.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

...go to my build site...
    Good thinking. The incorrect VIN would have been easy to miss.

Certainly, there are some complex titling and registration situations that I've read about, here and on other forums.

When I brought my car into Canada from Utah, the young Canada Border Services guy said: "Hey this title transfer isn't notarized." I (very politely ) explained that Utah transfers (they actually call them assignments, for some reason ) don't require notarization, as explained in the fine print on the back of the title. He was OK with that.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Tin types always are as they are direct images and not prints from negatives. Remember the famous picture of Billy the Kid that had everyone thinking he was a lefty? Same situation, he was actually right handed.
    I didn't know that!