Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

One full liter

This thing is going to be a rocket. You're going to love those big bores.

The break-in, as I'm sure Josh knows, is CRITICAL, and basically "sets" the amount of oil the engine will use over its life.

Tom Cutter, Snowbum, and others - to especially include this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm -- (from our very own site, Links and References. . . ) give CORRECT INFORMATION about the break-in. You can definitely start a fight around this issue, but judge the sources for yourself. This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile, brother, and a lot more is known about the process of break-in these days.

If you don't want to read it all, just remember to ride the hell out of it, and back-off the throttle frequently. Frequent oil changes during break-in.

Walking Eagle

Rally Rat

Update

Josh did a little update,

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/10/sk...rs+and+Bits%29

Thanks,
    Shane

Nice looking engine, nice toes too.

I have been waiting for someone to bring the toes up.
    Cute they certainly are , BUT :

Now we need to see the lovely lady attached to those toes

I think it's only appropriate since Shane started the thread with the beautiful women & BMW's in the first place.

Rally Rat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    This thing is going to be a rocket. You're going to love those big bores.

The break-in, as I'm sure Josh knows, is CRITICAL, and basically "sets" the amount of oil the engine will use over its life.

Tom Cutter, Snowbum, and others - to especially include this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm -- (from our very own site, Links and References. . . ) give CORRECT INFORMATION about the break-in. You can definitely start a fight around this issue, but judge the sources for yourself. This is NOT your father's Oldsmobile, brother, and a lot more is known about the process of break-in these days.

If you don't want to read it all, just remember to ride the hell out of it, and back-off the throttle frequently. Frequent oil changes during break-in.

Walking Eagle
    One of the benefits that Josh has of restoring this for me is that he has the honor of breaking the bike in properly. This is not like a car, if my Porsche broke down on the road, I would be find and just roll to the side of the road, if something goes wrong with the bike, that is another story and Josh wants to make sure everything is sorted and that he as a much more experienced rider is the one to do it for me, I am honored that he does this for me and it is his hard work that put the bike back on the road, so it is only fitting that he breaks the bike in for me.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    I have been waiting for someone to bring the toes up.
    Cute they certainly are , BUT :

Now we need to see the lovely lady attached to those toes

I think it's only appropriate since Shane started the thread with the beautiful women & BMW's in the first place.
    The beautiful toes that you guys are all admiring are those of Heidi, Josh's wife. He checks in on this thread so I will leave it up to him to post a picture of his wife if he wants to. The motor looks spectacular and should perform as well as it looks, we have done it proper with a true expert doing the rebuild.

I also wanted to say "THANK YOU" to everyone following my thread, we just hit 80,000 hits, amazing!

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Carbs

A couple of quick updates, here is a picture of the carbs post vapor blasting, look pretty good. Talked with Bill down at Hamilton Classics and the paint process is well on its way in the primer stage.

Thanks for continuing to follow,

Sincerely,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat

Wheels Mounted

Well it is finally starting to look like a bike again!

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Waiting on Paint

We are waiting on the tins to come back from paint and assembly will begin in earnest.

Thanks for following,
    Shane

Bings

I just LOVE the look of Bings, except for ONE thing: The little 24mm dia. top-area that simply cries out for an enamel BMW logo badge, or maybe a little yin-yang badge, or something to make them look really great. Once you start looking at what is out there and available (or have a custom badge done by a jeweler), you'll find the right one, or it will find you!

Somehow, that top-part manages to look crappy without either adding something (such as a badge), or polishing hell out of it - I've got some blue/white rondels on order right now.

Walking Eagle

Rally Rat

Bing

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    I just LOVE the look of Bings, except for ONE thing: The little 24mm dia. top-area that simply cries out for an enamel BMW logo badge, or maybe a little yin-yang badge, or something to make them look really great. Once you start looking at what is out there and available (or have a custom badge done by a jeweler), you'll find the right one, or it will find you!

Somehow, that top-part manages to look crappy without either adding something (such as a badge), or polishing hell out of it - I've got some blue/white rondels on order right now.

Walking Eagle
    You are right, the BING logos were shot before the process and we called BING and they use to be able to replace them with new ones but they no longer offer that service because it was too time consuming and sometimes did not turn out well, so it is what it is, we are still pondering on this, Josh was thinking pollish the hell out of that area. Thanks for continuing to follow, I always look forward to your responses and input.

Sincerely,
    Shane

That is going to be Beautiful!
    I can't wait to see it parked next to the Porsche!
    What would be a really good picture would be seeing the Porsche chasing the BMW through a corner!

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Rally Rat

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    That is going to be Beautiful!
    I can't wait to see it parked next to the Porsche!
    What would be a really good picture would be seeing the Porsche chasing the BMW through a corner!

Ken
    Don't think that has not gone through my mind, thanks for following. I am also very lucky that Josh is a professional photography by day, and I mean professional, he has promised some exceptional photographs of the bike when it is done so I also have that to look forward to. I started doing Wet Plate Photography a few weeks back, it is 160 year old technique, one of the first forms of photography, less than 1000 people practice this art form in the world, I saw a wet plate and fell in love and had to figure out how to do it. Got myself a bunch of books, got a 1870's lens from Greece, had a camera box built around it and have been doing it for a couple of weeks. My main goal is to capture people that are important to me in my life, but also to get some good wet plate photos of the car and the bike, this process is so magical I cannot really describe it, I have created a simple website to share what I have done already. Wet plate is essentially capturing images in silver on glass using light and your dark room has to be right next to you because your plate cannot dry from sensitization, to exposure to development. http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/wetplate.htm if you are interested in seeing what I have done already. Understand most wet plate guys are expert photographers and want to take their game to a new level, not like me, my wet plate camera was my first camera I have ever owned. It is so rewarding.

Thanks,
    Shane

Otherworldly

Fantastic images!

Saaaaay -- could you photoshop an image of Honest Abe riding the Cafe and chasing Robert E. Lee, driving the Porsche????? That would be swell.

Walking Eagle

Rally Rat

Happy Halloween

I am very happy to report that Josh has been able to install the motor in the frame! Here he is with the bike.

Thanks,
    Shane