Page 42 of 77 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

I find it interesting since I have had the honor to work with some great folks who came from humble beginnings and through a combination of hard work, dumb luck and a lot of perspiration became successful in spite of themselves and their ( what seemed like ) best efforts to screw things up.

I have also worked with the other types who got it the old fashioned way and never appreciated what they had or how difficult life was for their predecessor/ benefactor.

I learned a lot from both types but prefer the former

Keep your head on straight and lead the way young man

Mounting Seat Pan to Tail Section

Josh did a terrific and detailed write-up about how he solved the issue of attaching the seat pan to the tail of the bike. Most people suggested Velcro? We were not too keen on keeping our ass on the bike by some Velcro and surely it would not have been a material used back in the day. I suppose we could use duct tape as well, ha ha, but just did not seem like a professional way of doing it, so this is what he came up with:

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/05/at...rs+and+Bits%29

Have a great weekend everyone, I am so excited to see the seat attached to the pan. Check out that metal welt on the backend, exactly what we were looking for.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by balkowitsch; 05-19-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Shane Balkowitsch
    www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/bmw.htm
    "Don't Hate Me for my Cafe Racer Tendencies"
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Figuring Stuff Out

Innovation on these projects is a major part of the fun, eh?

Duct tape woulda been a lot easier and faster, but might not have looked quite as good. Besides, when you take her out in the sun, the tape gets sticky goo all over your leather seat.

Once again, you and Josh made the right call, I'd say.

Walking Eagle

+1 on the seat - nice job Josh! How soon will that bike be all together? I am anxious to see it as I'm sure you are really excited about it.

Mike H
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

Shocks Out of the Box

Josh just opened the package that contained the new YSS Performance Shocks and WOW!, they look beautiful and Josh says the quality is amazing. I will leave it up to him to tell me what he thinks of the performance once the bike is together. Josh is responsible for the break-in period for the bike and I would not have it any other way.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r90r100r View Post
    +1 on the seat - nice job Josh! How soon will that bike be all together? I am anxious to see it as I'm sure you are really excited about it.

Mike H
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend
    Thanks Mike for your enthusiasm, I am sure the bike will be done sometime maybe this year yet, not for sure, if it is not done before snow fall in North Dakota, it will spend the winter with Josh being broken in and tweaked and then will travel back to its home in the spring of 2013. We are in no hurry really, just want to get it right and take our time on the details.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Couple of Damsels on an Air Cooled BMW

Brigitte Bardot and Sylvie Vartan, it has been a few weeks since we have posted a damsel in the thread, have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Sylvie Vartan....
    In my teens, I had a 45 she had recorded named: "I made my choice", and I always wondered who she was. All I knew was that she was French, and one of the Ye Ye girls.

When Google came on the scene, I checked her out, and found out she was one of the most famous entertainers in France, and married to Johnny Hallyday.

Thanks for the memory.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Offer Thanks and Forgiveness. . .

OK, so maybe ATGATT isn't all that important in SOME applications, eh, lads?

The French: Long lunches, long vacations, fabulous set of XX chromosomes through the years, and - clearly - wonderful taste in choosing motorcycles. . .

A culture worth saving, and THANK YOU WWII servicemen/women. June 6 is right around the corner.

Walking Eagle

p.s. Rinty: WOW! Another Johnny Hallyday fan. He was made for noir.
    Last edited by Walking Eagle; 05-27-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add'l info

50,000 Hits

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and Walking Eagle, you have a way with words that not many people possess. Not sure if you guys noticed but we just went over 50,000 hits for this thread, simply amazing. My thanks goes out to everyone who is following.

Sorry I have not updated recently, we are waiting to get the frame back once again from the Liquid Coaters, this time it should be clear coated properly so that the silver is perfect. As soon as I have anything new, I will be sure to share with everyone.

In the meantime, have a great week everyone!

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Message from Admin

Hi Guys and Gals -

Sorry, the thread had to go on a slight "vacation". It's a wonderful run of posts, comments back and forth, watching this take shape. But the postings went off the rails and it was necessary to remove the thread so that the background could be reviewed and dealt with. I have removed the run of non-content posts.

Please keep this focused on main thread and let's look forward to the completion of the bike.

Thanks for your support...Kurt
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Hi Guys and Gals -

Sorry, the thread had to go on a slight "vacation". It's a wonderful run of posts, comments back and forth, watching this take shape. But the postings went off the rails and it was necessary to remove the thread so that the background could be reviewed and dealt with. I have removed the run of non-content posts.

Please keep this focused on main thread and let's look forward to the completion of the bike.

Thanks for your support...Kurt
    Thanks Kurt for reinstating my thread and addressing the issue behind the scenes, we are back in business. I will get everyone an update as soon as I have anything more. Have a great Sunday,

Sincerely,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com

Thanks!

We're now back to FUN, which is the raison d'etre for this site (and motos), after all.

Kurt, having followed your sagacious postings here for many months, there was never a doubt that "whatever it was" would be resolved fairly.

Shane, use the whip on Josh if you have to! Lusting for more eye-candy.

Walking Eagle

Whip Him Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    We're now back to FUN, which is the raison d'etre for this site (and motos), after all.

Kurt, having followed your sagacious postings here for many months, there was never a doubt that "whatever it was" would be resolved fairly.

Shane, use the whip on Josh if you have to! Lusting for more eye-candy.

Walking Eagle
    My man Josh is down for the count this weekend my friend, you see one of his favorite bands Van Halen were in town with Diamond Dave and he made his way to the concert and from his post on Facebook stating "Damn that whiskey" I have a feeling he is busy trying to recouperate from a good time. So he will no doubt be licking his self inflicted wounds the rest of the weekend. We keep telling each other, no rush, just get it right and we are going to hold steady to that commitment. Thanks again Walking Eagle for all of your posts, I enjoy them very much.

Sincerely,
    Shane
    Shane Balkowitsch
    shane@balkowitsch.com