Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Rally Rat

Seat

Josh and Augustin have gone back and forth a couple of times about the cushioning of the seat, Josh knows that I am only 5'7" tall and wants to make sure that it is perfect for me so he is going to have him send the seat to Josh, he will put it on the bike before upholstery. Josh and I are the same size. Once he puts it on the bike and sits on it and tests the foam, it will go back for leather, wish I had more of an update. We did hear from the Liquid Coaters and the bike will be done this week with any luck and we will have some pictures.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Ready for Coating

Josh stopped over at the Liquid Coaters and snapped some pictures, everything is blasted, taped off and ready for coating. Can't wait to see what they look like when they are done.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat

Another Photo

Here is another photo prior to coating.

Rally Rat

Parts

Some of the parts.

Rally Rat

Racetech

Getting some bits for the forks and front suspension:

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...0Forks/1970-79

I am ordering per Josh's request:
    - Springs - FRSP S2643085
    - Valve kit - FEGV S3301
    - Fork Emulator Adapters

Thanks,
    Shane

Douglas Williams
    It looks like you left the boss on the frame for the stock side stand. Do you plan on using it? It has a rather infamous reputation for dumping bikes.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Rally Rat

Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    It looks like you left the boss on the frame for the stock side stand. Do you plan on using it? It has a rather infamous reputation for dumping bikes.
    Josh has done some work on the center stand (under the bike) and we are going to us it.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Confirmed

Talked with Josh about the stand and he confirmed, he would never trust a side stand, we will be using the center stand only for the bike. Thanks for your concern. Hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks,
    Shane

Douglas Williams
    Just a thought, I removed the side stand boss from the frame before powder coating on my RS. It cleaned up the frame nicely. I use an aftermarket sidestand that bolts onto the rear engine bolt.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Rally Rat

Thanks

Just a thought, I removed the side stand boss from the frame before powder coating on my RS. It cleaned up the frame nicely. I use an aftermarket sidestand that bolts onto the rear engine bolt.
    That is a good idea, unfortunately too late in our process for this, it is getting coated this week and has already been blasted. Thanks for all the input everyone, as soon as the frame is coated, we can mock it up and then Josh will get the rest ready for paint.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Seat

Josh got the seat back from Autos International, we wanted to fit it on the bike before actually applying the leather. Josh mocked it up on his bike to give us an good idea. Josh thinks the cushion is too thick because I am a shorter rider at 5'7" so they are going to trim that down a bit.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Closeup

Here is a closeup of the seat, Josh is also going to have them trim the transition from the front of the seat to the tank to make it more flowing as well.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Found Different Set of Mirrors

Josh found a cool set of mirrors at a local swap meet for $20 and he really likes the design and quality and thinks they will go better with the bike than the previous pair we bought, so we are going with these bad boys.

Thanks,
    Shane

Rally Rat

Side Panel Covers

Josh took a good look at my covers for the sides and he thinks these need to be refinished or chromed, this is what we have, we will figure something out for them or buy another replica set if they are available, a true Cafe Racer would not have these on the bike, but Josh said they are very decorative and he wants to make sure that I have a pair of them in great condition so that I can put them on when I want, nice design feature and I tend to agree with him.

Thanks,
    Shane

Invariably, seats close to the tank will rub the paint. Might want to consider that aspect of a custom seat design.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!