Thread: Kontour seats

Hybrid View

Nickname: Droid

Kontour seats

Does anyone have experience riding on a Kontour Komfort airflow seat? I always have to use a beadseat over my Corbin to avoid the discomfort of spring/summer/fall hot seat issues.

Please, don't suggest sheepskins, high-performance undies, monkey butt powder, leather seats, whatever. I have tried them all and nothing works even reasonbly close to a beadseat cover. I just don't particularly care for the beadseat, and over time it does create some pressure points. I have not tried an Airhawk or similar devices, maybe they would work for me, but again I'd have to add it on top of my current seat. I'd prefer a seat that actually provides real airflow.

The Kontour seat claims to do what I need, but it aint cheap. However, if it really works I'd go for it. Right now, the dampy-packies end my riding day far sooner than any back, shoulder or knee issues, none of which I have or can live with. I NEED AIRFLOW!!

I rode a Kontour for a short period before I sold my last K12LT. There was a *lot* of cooling airflow through the K12LT seat -- it performs as advertised.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Wired for sound!
    I wrote a magazine article on rebuilding your seat on your motorcycle. The only vendor that responded with a detailed answer to my questionnaire was Ron K. Miller of Kontour Seats. He is the owner and truly believes in the product. And he sure as hell isn't afraid to discuss it. Something some of those other guys could learn from.

As I plodded through the article, the concept of air-flow and the type of material used in the seat made more and more sense to me. I own an '06LT with a Mayer on it now, but I wish I had known then what I know now.

Yeah, it may be a bit more $'s than the other guys, but you are getting a really good product from someone who has done the research... and if you hit any of these BMW "get-togethers", he's usually there... the dapper looking fellow in the straw boater drooling all over his ice-cream cone.

clicky

And he rides a BMW... The pic is Ron putting his LT on a flat bed at EXR's Treasure of Yosemite ride in 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm scheduled to get a Kontour seat at the end of this month. I'm hoping it's as good as I hope it is.

Toadmanor
    The proposed beauty of the Kontour seat is the unique material used for construction. Unfortunately Ron Miller is unwilling (at least when I asked him) to send a sample of this material. Incredulous to me that he wont so I elected to not use his product.

Nickname: Droid
    I could understand that since it was his work to put together the materials, sources, contacts, engineering, testing, etc, to make it a workable product.
    Granted, the Kontour seats are expensive, and I too would like to see one before buying. But if all the reports are good, I'm good to go with it. I just wonder how it holds up after 20,000 or 100,000 to 200,00 miles.
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 03-14-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Another Opinion

I had a Kontour seat on my last bike a 1150 GS and as ststed it did as advertised. I went to his shop and he showed me all the layers of the seat. The seat was definatly cooler. However in my case it did not completely solve the problem I had and eventually I replaced it with a Russel seat.

If you are satisfied with the comfort of your seat and you find it too warm, then this is the solution. If the comfort is an issue then try something else.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

GIZMO
    Quote Originally Posted by 105258 View Post
    I had a Kontour seat on my last bike a 1150 GS and as ststed it did as advertised. I went to his shop and he showed me all the layers of the seat. The seat was definatly cooler. However in my case it did not completely solve the problem I had and eventually I replaced it with a Russel seat.

If you are satisfied with the comfort of your seat and you find it too warm, then this is the solution. If the comfort is an issue then try something else.
    Comfort in what way, what did you not like about it?