Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Bell Modular Helmet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,923

    Bell Modular Helmet



    I am sure some of you may have received this as well today...but, Bell has entered the modular market with two models...haven't read up on it yet. My first helmet in the 70's was a very HEAVY Bell.

    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1242398965
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  2. #2
    leesrt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

    I am sure some of you may have received this as well today...but, Bell has entered the modular market with two models...haven't read up on it yet. My first helmet in the 70's was a very HEAVY Bell.

    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1242398965
    I just can't wrap my brain around any quality helmet that provides good safety, comfort, airflow, and features for less than $300 let alone $200. It may be ok as a budget helemt.

  3. #3
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    I just can't wrap my brain around any quality helmet that provides good safety, comfort, airflow, and features for less than $300 let alone $200. It may be ok as a budget helemt.
    Comfort, airflow, and features... maybe. But safety? Either it meets DOT/Snell/whatever or it doesn't. There are (or at least used to be) $80 helmets that met Snell ratings (assuming meeting snell is important to you). I know folks who wear such and are quite happy with the comfort and airflow. They don't work for me as I prefer a full face helmet with a very large eye port and the cheapies seem to be lacking in that area. The flip ups used to be my best option until I found the Arai XD. Neither choice falls into the sub $300 range.

  4. #4
    leesrt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Comfort, airflow, and features... maybe. But safety? Either it meets DOT/Snell/whatever or it doesn't. There are (or at least used to be) $80 helmets that met Snell ratings (assuming meeting snell is important to you). I know folks who wear such and are quite happy with the comfort and airflow. They don't work for me as I prefer a full face helmet with a very large eye port and the cheapies seem to be lacking in that area. The flip ups used to be my best option until I found the Arai XD. Neither choice falls into the sub $300 range.
    Couldn't be more wrong. Would you want a doctor who just passed his state exams or one who was top of his class and trained in advanced methods to perform your life threatening surgery?

    The top helmet designers invest a great deal of research into what happens to the head and how to minimize the transfer of energy. They don't just make it pass the test and then paint it pretty.
    That research and testing cost money and makes the helmet cost more. A good example is the Shuberth C3. They have a unique design to their chin strap that wraps around the back of the head. This prevents the helmet from popping off your head on certain impacts. Does DOT test for that, no. Is that a nice safety feature to have, yes. Is it worth $699? In my opininion yes because its my brain. I pay $200 for a set of bar backs.

  5. #5
    Yarddog
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong. Would you want a doctor who just passed his state exams or one who was top of his class and trained in advanced methods to perform your life threatening surgery?

    The top helmet designers invest a great deal of research into what happens to the head and how to minimize the transfer of energy. They don't just make it pass the test and then paint it pretty.
    That research and testing cost money and makes the helmet cost more. A good example is the Shuberth C3. They have a unique design to their chin strap that wraps around the back of the head. This prevents the helmet from popping off your head on certain impacts. Does DOT test for that, no. Is that a nice safety feature to have, yes. Is it worth $699? In my opininion yes because its my brain. I pay $200 for a set of bar backs.
    ...here we go again...If it meets the ratings, it meets the ratings, what ya pay for after that is features...beyond the ratings, its all about the helmet that works best for ya, and who knows better what works than the guy or gal that is gonna wear it...

  6. #6
    Mars needs women! 35634's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,013
    gotta put my 2 cents in here. Wearing any helmet will vastly decreases your odds of brain damage. After that, the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Spending 3x more on a lid may increase your safety only slightly. Get one you like and is comfy. If spending more makes you feel better, by all means go for it. But it aint gonna make you bulletproof!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

  7. #7
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong. Would you want a doctor who just passed his state exams or one who was top of his class and trained in advanced methods to perform your life threatening surgery?
    Neither. And what does that have to do with helmets?

    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    The top helmet designers invest a great deal of research into what happens to the head and how to minimize the transfer of energy. They don't just make it pass the test and then paint it pretty.
    I think someone has been spending too much time reading marketing fluff. They make the helmet to pass the tests. That is goal one. If it doesn't pass the test they can't sell it. Passing the tests put all kind of constraints on the design. Making a helmet to pass the completely optional Snell tests (prior to Snell 2010) required a helmet to be harder which resulted in MORE G-force applied to your brain. So the helmet was arguably LESS safe for street riders, but the manufactures made them anyway because some folks got the idea (from marketing) that Snell was better. This let the manufactures charge more for Snell rated helmets, too. At least in the US. In Europe a Snell rated helmet was OK for racing, but not approved for street because a helmet couldn't meet both Snell and ECE 22-05 standards. The Snell 2010 standard resolved that issue.

    And yes, the manufactures sometimes do paint it pretty and charge you an extra $150 for the paint. The fancy paint adds nothing to your safety, yet it jacks the price. Again, it could actually be less safe in that it makes the rider harder to see.

    In general you'll get better comfort, longevity, and features with a more expensive helmet. But don't pretend it makes you any safer.

  8. #8
    Registered User rodstanhope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ringgold, GA
    Posts
    85
    Bell stuff is made in China......
    Rod
    95 K1100RS
    07 R1200RT

  9. #9
    Yarddog
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Comfort, airflow, and features... maybe. But safety? Either it meets DOT/Snell/whatever or it doesn't. There are (or at least used to be) $80 helmets that met Snell ratings (assuming meeting snell is important to you). I know folks who wear such and are quite happy with the comfort and airflow. They don't work for me as I prefer a full face helmet with a very large eye port and the cheapies seem to be lacking in that area. The flip ups used to be my best option until I found the Arai XD. Neither choice falls into the sub $300 range.
    Agreed...obviously, a 3/4 helmet is gonna protect better than a 1/2 helmet, and a full face helmet protects best of all...BUT...is the heaviest of all, so the tradeoff MIGHT be the bullwhip effect on the neck...In my time, I've seen top of the line full face helmets literally trashed during a crash, and I've seen beanie helmets survive major crashes...who knows? If I'm wearing a helmet, I want to be wearing one that gets the job done, but there's no reason for me to pay $700 for a helmet...there are WAY too many variables for me, personally, to say a $700 helmet is any better than a $70 helmet...I've known VERY few real world crashes occur inside of a test lab...

  10. 03-16-2011, 01:20 AM
    Reason
    Unavailable for comment

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •