Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia Tips

Motorradfahrer

Smile Nova Scotia Tips

We are making a trip this summer to Nova Scotia. I appreciate any "must see" tips anyone may have or nice places to stay or eat along the way. I have not got all of this quite worked out yet but I was toying with the idea of taking a ferry to Newfoundland and then riding back through Quebec. Has anyone done this? There are several connections out of NS and I was thinking about heading from Sydney. We made a trip last year from Indiana to Quebec and loved Canada so we want to see more. I look forward to any and all suggestions. Putini rules!

Greetings
    Nova Scotia is a great trip. The food, people and sites make for a great ride.
    Ossie's is a good break after crossing the boarder at Calais.

If you feel like 4 star camping ($60 a night) The Cove Oceanfront Campground on the Bay of Fundy is very clean, private tent sites, great veiw, local scallops and lobsters are the freshest you will ever get. http://www.oceanfront-camping.com/ph...ndex.php#photo

For the world finest oysters (you can watch Alex pick them), camp sites and some cabins with a view. http://www.campingcapebreton.com/

Meat Cove is a must see. http://www.meatcovecampground.com/ab...ntact_inf.html
    Meat Cove - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
    Down town Halifax is great big small city. Had a great time in the town.
    Never been to Newfoundland, but can not wait to go there.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Aside from the fact that you'll love riding Nova Scotia, when riding Cape Britin, ride it counter clockwise. Reason is the views are spectacular and you'll be closest to the water without having blocked views from oncoming traffic.

Also, check out Prince Edward Island. Its free to get on though you pay to get off. The ferry ride is real nice to get on or off the island, but the Confederation Bridge is a must ride for one of the legs coming or going. The bridge is 9 miles long and not too high over the water in most places so it feels like you're flying over the water. Also, because it's so long it has curves.

RK Ryder
    Fort Louisburg on Cape Breton Island is a must if you have any interest in history. Alexander Graham Bell's summer home is worth a visit. As much of a tourist trap as Peggy's Cove might be, it is so close to Halifax, stop there. The Marine Museum in Halifax is also a must see. My wife and I spent two days touring that building. If you enjoy camping, Meat Cove is the furthermost northerly point, with dynamic scenery.

Just wait a bit and I'm sure Bob will chime in with a lot more to see in his province.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    While there is sooooo much more to see in Nova Scotia than Cape Breton Island, going to Nfl/Lbr makes it the most logical choice (unless you have all summer to travel). What others have said here is good advice. What we introduced at our Salty Fog Riders Rally last year was a tour of a traditional coal mine in Glace Bay. Tour is conducted by retired miner. Like Paul says, Louisbourg is an excellent adventure back in time (it is all reenactment and restoration). Plan the day and camp right in the town of Louisbourg on the waterfront Oh yes, also look into a stage play at the Louisbourg Playhouse . Excellent productions. Really nice if you can do-the-trail both counterclockwise and clockwise. Choose the former if you want best view and don't have a profound fear of heights. I can't speak for Nfld/Lbr except for touring the Nfld west coast which is truly beautiful. Great people! Prince Edward Island is a treat and although somewhat touristy in the summer still a great many things to see and do. Highly recommend it if possible for you.

Note: check out the link below regarding the Salty Fog Riders Rally mapping and pictures. Lots of info that may be of help to you. Ride Safe!.... eh. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Mind if I borrow some of the Nova Scotia tips too?
    I figured NS was something to visit, and now I have some more pointers for planning my trip. Thanks!
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

RK Ryder
    I really shouldn't share this as it seems to be a well kept secret that only I and a few others know. It you are interested in clean and very affordable accommodations while travelling in the maritimes, check out college and university residences at http://www.connectoncampus.ca/atlantic.html
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    Mind if I borrow some of the Nova Scotia tips too?
    I figured NS was something to visit, and now I have some more pointers for planning my trip. Thanks!
    borrow whatever works for you. PM me if you want to ask about any particulars. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    borrow whatever works for you. PM me if you want to ask about any particulars. - Bob
    Will do, Bob! Thanks!
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

I visited Meat Cove back in 1996, hopefully the showers have improved since then Check out the Nova Scotia tourism website, you can order for free motorcycle-specific maps and guides that have tons of great info. For my whole trip, aside from ther Cabot Trail, I think the highlight was the Mariner's trail from outside of Halifax up to the Canso causeway over to Cape Breton - beautiful views and quite empty of RV's. The trip log is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/4l6gsbu
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I visited Meat Cove back in 1996, hopefully the showers have improved since then Check out the Nova Scotia tourism website, you can order for free motorcycle-specific maps and guides that have tons of great info. For my whole trip, aside from ther Cabot Trail, I think the highlight was the Mariner's trail from outside of Halifax up to the Canso causeway over to Cape Breton - beautiful views and quite empty of RV's. The trip log is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/4l6gsbu
    Meat Cove: Showers Just kidding. Primitive but it somehow fits the context. A few changes since '96. This is our night number four during the Salty Fog Riders Rally and the trip in and out is a grand adventure on its own. They now have a wonderful seafood resturaunt called the Chowder Hut. Last year we got literally rained out of Meat Cove. Bridge washed out just before our arrival. We refer to our rally camping there as The Edge of the Earth Gathering. Weather there is a real crap shoot! - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Motorradfahrer
    I picked up our new gear yesterday from BMW Grand Rapids. My flash mirrors and adapters from Wunderlich delivered yesterday (if you have a 2010 or later RT and use any additional bags you need these). I looked at this thread later on and the excitement builds. Now if I can get the snow to stop dropping here I can really get excited. Thanks for the tips.

Cape Breton Highlands Park

The roads in Cape Breton Highlands National Park are great.

If you are camping I would recommend going into the park at the
    Cheticamp entrance and ask about the remote camping area that
    is 10 miles up the road from the main campground. The remote
    campground is right on the ocean and there are probably about
    15 sites there tops. They have chemical toilets, but you have to
    bring in your own water. You can use the showers and everything
    else at the main campground, but it is a great place to camp. One
    morning I woke up with my tent door facing the ocean to see a group
    of seals playing in the cove in front of me. The sunsets there are
    a magnificent display of pastels over the ocean.....nice place.

Don

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
    The roads in Cape Breton Highlands National Park are great.
    Beware the bears.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Moose

and the Moose.

I encountered 2 of them on the road to the main campground
    the first morning I was there.....

Don