Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: ZUMO Tech Question?

Cool

Anxious for the 660 to arrive, but the more I read here, the more I'm hoping for a model-specific (all ZUMO's) seminar in Bloomsburg?!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Anxious for the 660 to arrive, but the more I read here, the more I'm hoping for a model-specific (all ZUMO's) seminar in Bloomsburg?!
    It's pretty easy to get familiar with GPS, just use it in the cage for a month or two while we recover from winter in the frozen north.

There are only minute differences in current Garmin models, some have bluetooth and some don't, some can import routes and some can't -- things like that.

The older models ran a different interface that was a lot more geeky, but basic functionality is about the same between old and new. The newer models have a simplified interface and are a lot easier to use.

Many of the users of the older operating system complained of the new interface as being "dumbed down" but most of the complaints were addressed in later versions and high end models. The "new" interface has been used for at least 6 years now.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to earlier versions. My first Garmin was a 12XL and it wasn't even equipped with a base map.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Kevin... You might want to look at this thread. I have posted a number of Custom Routes for the National Rally. (With much feedback from RockBottom- his "backyard")

When you get your 660 you might want to open one up in MAPSOURCE, save it as a Garmin .GDB file and take a look.. as well as upload a route to your GPS,
    if interested.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51701
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    Kevin... You might want to look at this thread. I have posted a number of Custom Routes for the National Rally. (With much feedback from RockBottom- his "backyard")

When you get your 660 you might want to open one up in MAPSOURCE, save it as a Garmin .GDB file and take a look.. as well as upload a route to your GPS,
    if interested.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51701
    Will do.

Thanks!

Question

For those of you who have the following combination:

A 2005 R1200RT and a Garmin Zumo mounting cradle

A Question - Where did you wire in your hot lead for power, so that when the ignition is turned off, so is power to the Zumo?

I plan to have the shop tech wire things in next month on a scheduled visit to the dealer for other maintenance - looking for what I need to know, so it's done right.

Thanks - Kevin

Kevin,
    there is a connector tied off to the front fork area that is swirtched.The part number for the adapter cable is in this thread.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ght=Power+ZUMO
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Getting lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Kevin,
    there is a connector tied off to the front fork area that is swirtched.The part number for the adapter cable is in this thread.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ght=Power+ZUMO
    This one.

The power off is delayed with the ZFE accessory shutdown. Occasionally, it will not shutdown due to the Zumo's power regulation but not a usual condition.

I'm told that the best set up is a direct wired to the battery or accessory fuse block as the GPS can be left on during stops and there won't be the boot time. Only downside is remembering to turn it off.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

European maps

does anyone know if I can download the European maps to my zumo 660 and run them in conjunction with the North American maps I already have?

Or do I need to delete the NA maps?

I'm doing an Edelweiss trip in June and would like to take the Zumo with me.

Thanks,
    gsjay
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

MATTWALSTON
    Audio out on a Zumo is via a 3.5 mm stereo connection in the cradle. There is no internal speaker. Bluetooth uses the headset profile for the headset device. Incoming audio is a single channel 2.5 mm microphone jack on the cradle. No internal mic. The bluetooth headset profile allows an external low quality mono earpiece and a microphone to tie into the Zumo.

You may then pair a cellphone using the headset profile. The phone audio will use bluetooth if available. Whether navigation and music transmit over bluetooth is software configurable.

Garmin GPS Zumo 660

Just got back from a 2400 mile trip, with my new garmin zumo 660.
    Never used one on the road ( boats,yes of course).
    Very nice, safety features, and finding campgrounds, eta, lane changes, and warning on curves ahead are just a few of the benefits.
    Sure, it's alot of money, but for a new bike, when you're travelling out of your area, it's worth it.
    The additional wunderlich mount , while also costly, worked nicely, no vibration at all.It is in a perfect position, even with the R1200RT BMW tank bag expanded fully.
    Highly recommend both, after 7 full days out of my element.

Reel Job
    2011 R1200RT