Thread: 1975 R90/6 original owners out there?

1975 R90/6 original owners out there?

A friend bet me I was the only original owner in the US of a 1975 R90/6 that is still on the road. I bet otherwise and am hoping those of you who bought and have kept the 1975 R90/6 for the last 36 years will step up. BTW: I took it in Saturday for the NC required inspection only to be told that it passed and I owed nothing because it was now an ANTIQUE! How cool is that!

pi variables
    Quote Originally Posted by rbryson View Post
    A friend bet me I was the only original owner in the US of a 1975 R90/6 that is still on the road. I bet otherwise and am hoping those of you who bought and have kept the 1975 R90/6 for the last 36 years will step up. BTW: I took it in Saturday for the NC required inspection only to be told that it passed and I owed nothing because it was now an ANTIQUE! How cool is that!
    Funny - I have a friend here in Southern California - Bob Bryson - motorcycle nut - anyway - yes, I purchased my R90/6 new in Germany in 1976. Still own it - just finished restoring it.

Pi Variables

mymindsok
    Quote Originally Posted by rbryson View Post
    Post your inquiry over on advrider.co and you'll likely get a larger response.

Truthfully... I doubt you're the only one!

I am still riding my 75 R90/6 that I have had since 1985. Still have my 1982 R65 I bought new and a 80 R65. Plan on keep these because there is not a new motorcycle in any brand that I would but right now. Plus when our local dear closed I was able to buy the tools he had.

Don

Hi, bought my 1975 new from Phil Funnel in Vancouver BC. Still have it and still love it.

I took my future wife for our first date on that bike and we spent 8 weeks in Europe on that bike for our honeymoon in 1982. You can't sell those kind of memories!

This could be a new award category for the MOA rally in Pa. Oldest original owner BMW ridden to the rally. Whad ya think???

Just the motivation I needed

Great idea! I wonder how one goes about making this happen. I am a teacher and have the time to ride to PA this summer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Uhh, maybe get someone else to suggest it to the rally chair in charge of awards. Might look a little suspicious for you to suggest a category in which you're the ringer!!
    Still, it would be very cool to see the older one owner bikes. Some great stories to be told I'm sure. I think the field would dry up considerably after the 15 year mark.
    Come to think of it, I know a fellow who's the original owner of a now "vintage", "finest year" 1985 K100RS. At least here in Ohio it's considered vintage after 25 years.
    Hmm, vintage and K bike in the same sentence!

Nutfarm
    I have a 1975 R75/6 that I bought new, still have it, and it has 170,000 miles on it.
    I also have a1975 Norton MKIII Interstate that I bought new the same year, it has 75,000 miles on it, while alittle more labor intensive to keep up, it has been just as reliable as the BMW.

I own a 1974 R90/6 that my mother purchased in 1976, with only 2500 miles on it. Now our son rides it! Three generations and still going strong!

Pleased to see there are three others who have kept the same bike for the same period. I have ridden all the new BMW bikes (especially the RT's), but they all have about as much personality as my Chrysler T&C Minivan. I'm glad I didn't trade the R90 for "something more modern".

I've had my '74 R90/6 since 1987. My 2nd bike and favorite bike. I now have the bike apart, for a total rebuild. Making it into a Classic Bavarian Bagger. It will have all the period bling, farkles and upgrades from that era to turn it into show piece I've allways considered it. For many years it carried me to work every day, then to a rally or run on the weekend. 10 Daytona bike weeks, ridden to and from. 5 MOA nationals and a couple of RA Nationals. It was the bike I was riding when I help charter the Naturally Beemers of Ar. back in '88. It carried me on the County Seat Tour of Ar. and the 6 Corners Tour of Ar. I was the first member to complete the county seat tour, and a lot of the riders had much newer BMW's than mine. That bike has more character in one of it's broken spokes than my '87 K100RT and '94 R1100RS put together. And they're both great bikes. By the way, I just got in from riding my '71 R50/5 today. My 1st bike bought back in '85. As much as I like it, it still comes in 2nd to the R90. I'm blessed and I know it.

I'm the 4th owner of the '74 R90 and the 2nd owner of the '71 R50.

1975 R90/6 Original Owner

rbryson:

I purchased my '75 R90/6 in August of 1975... new, from Hendricks Honda in Charlotte NC. Back then, Rick had a bike shop on South Blvd, selling Triumphs, Nortons, BMW, and of course, Hondas. I went into the shop thinking I'd make a choice between a Norton and a BMW 750.. It was another $300 for an R90. The salesman talked me into it, and I'm glad he did. Total price, out the door, $3100.

I've still got the bike, now with 125K miles on it. Just did a rebuild to refresh the top end, new pistons first over, timing chain. It's my favorite, and I plan to keep it around a few more years.

I'll post a picture when I find one.

Tom in Charlotte NC

kade010101
    I can't say that I'm the first, but my father bought his 1975 R90/6 in 1976. I got it out of "storage" (sitting outside for 10 years) and restored it. Now I've got it running and consider it a 1 family owner.

Jake
    CO