Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aerostitch question (s) ?

I'm an Aerostich fan. It has been my main gear for at least 20 years. I have bought a half dozen jackets trying to do better. Always go back to wearing my Stich. Sizing is critical. If the pockets are a problem as mentioned above the jacket is too snug. The stiffness goes away in short order if you wear it a lot. We "live on" the bikes about 5 months a year. From south to north, hot to cold, the Roadcrafter jacket is the only one I take on these trips.

I will wear a mesh jacket for short trips locally but not long days or when traveling because the increased air flow leads to dehydration. I also have a pair of mesh pants I sometimes wear with the Roadcrafter jacket. About 90 degrees is my limit for the Roadcrafter pants.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I currently ride a two-piece stitch. I have had no problems with leakage at all. I bought this one from a guy that simply didn't like it. When I got it - as expected - it was really stiff. It's now far more compliant. My only complaint/observation is the jacket pockets are really too high to use comfortably. Then again, this is my first two-piece. I'm used to the one piece, having had two of them.

The one piece suits me perfectly. The only problems I had with it was the wet crotch. I bought the two piece because I want to be able to wear the jacket by itself when not on the bike. I like the jacket by itself just fine. I think the two-piece is a good compromise for me.

As to what it looks like - this isn't a fashion show. I sincerely doubt I could care less how stylish I look sliding down the asphalt, knowing I'm well protected. No, I haven't and no I have no intention of checking that statement out.......
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'm an Aerostich fan. It has been my main gear for at least 20 years. I have bought a half dozen jackets trying to do better. Always go back to wearing my Stich. Sizing is critical. If the pockets are a problem as mentioned above the jacket is too snug. The stiffness goes away in short order if you wear it a lot. We "live on" the bikes about 5 months a year. From south to north, hot to cold, the Roadcrafter jacket is the only one I take on these trips.

I will wear a mesh jacket for short trips locally but not long days or when traveling because the increased air flow leads to dehydration. I also have a pair of mesh pants I sometimes wear with the Roadcrafter jacket. About 90 degrees is my limit for the Roadcrafter pants.

This one is a tad too large
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The pockets did take a bit to used to. now i have my 'a place for everything and everything in its place' system set up, and its no longer an issue. I do, however, miss the big chest pocket that my Darien jacket had.

I've put about 35,000 miles on it, and its been washed twice. It took about two months of almost daily wearing to break it in and not feel all stiff and miserable. It fits pretty much perfectly now. Well, expect for the 'waist' on the pants, I've lost a couple of pounds and the excess elastic on the drawstring is a bit out of control.

I've never had mine leak, and yeah, it does get a bit warm when the temps are up in the high 90's - low 100's. Funny thing is, I wore a mesh suit once when the temps were the same and I though I was going to melt. 'stich kept me a couple degrees cooler than the mesh suit did. ~weird~
    Too damn many bikes to list

I wear my 2 piece zipped together. One of my older Roadcrafters I used to wear with a bib, but I find it easier to put on and off to wear it zipped together. It gives great versatility. I have worn other gear and always gone back to the Stich. I know that there are Stich haters out there, but I don't care... to each its own. I can tell you that I have never had a Stich leak on me... not the crotch either... what I have learned is to treat it well... it is just like my airheads... the airheads love to be ridden, the stich likes to be worn. It is like second skin... I don't even know that I have it on anymore... I also don't overwash them... maybe once a year, sometimes once every two years!!! I am always thinking the washing weakens the material and besides I ride too much and don't have much down time.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

My first stich was a used 46R one piece. It was replaced with a two piece 48R jacket and 46R pants which gave me more room for layering in cool weather. I keep the jacket and pants zipped together. It just feels like the right way to do it after owning the one piece.
    No leaks from either suit and I've been in downpours with both. I have no complaints about being too hot. Riding an RS instead of an RT or LT certainly helps with that. I don't know why other garment manufacturers don't copy the side zipper design. Between the sleeve zips, the side zips and the fabric itself (wear your stitch on a cold winter ride and see what i mean) I get plenty of air. I admit to wearing a perforated jacket with jeans for a short ride but on a trip I take the stich and nothing else.

On the road to Find Out

Zipped all the time

Mine are zipped together all the time, fits much better that way. Next time if I buy another Stich I'll just buy the one-piece Roadcrafter.

Commute daily in my one piece. On, off, on, off. Multiple rides in day long downpours. Leaked once in the crotch. Followed Aerostich instructions - used NIXWAX and no leak since. Broke in quite nicely. Soft as a pair of Elkskin ropers. After three years had Aerostich "refresh" it.
    Great product, great service. Value for money? I retired everything else.

Kinda new to the Stich world, I have a 2 piece, I love it. I commute every day in it. It is my three season gear; I have other stuff for summer. It never is unzipped unless I need to wear the jacket around to stay warm when stopped.

I have owned, and still do, many other sets of jackets and pants, Vanson, BMW, Motoport and Belstaff to name a few. Only the BMW gear comes close in regards to build quality.