Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: BMW offroad training in New England?

  1. #1
    kiki
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western mass
    Posts
    120

    BMW offroad training in New England?

    Greetings
    In searching the internet for all things BMW, I found a number of off road or partially off road adventure companies out west. I was wondering if any one knows of any on the east coast? I am looking to improve my off road skills and it is not feasible to travel out to the west coast.
    Thanks for any input
    Kelly

  2. #2
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyhanley View Post
    Greetings
    In searching the internet for all things BMW, I found a number of off road or partially off road adventure companies out west. I was wondering if any one knows of any on the east coast? I am looking to improve my off road skills and it is not feasible to travel out to the west coast.
    Thanks for any input
    Kelly
    There's this: http://www.planetdirt.com/
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  3. #3
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,876
    BMW NA offers off road instruction at their facility in South Carolina.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  4. #4
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,517
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    BMW NA offers off road instruction at their facility in South Carolina.
    highly recommended.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    ________________________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  5. #5
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,378
    Hi Kelly, for our area this group may be of interest. http://www.netra.org/ They run a bunch of events and while I don't think many are running more that the 450X, it might give you a feel for riding the rock-pile that is New England. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  6. #6
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    There was talk from Jim Hyde at the Mines and Meadows Rally last September of him definately doing something on theeast coast this year again. He mentioned perhaps the MOA Rally, another Mines and Meadows, or possibly at a private location. If so, I recommend them. RawHyde

  7. #7
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Hi Kelly, for our area this group may be of interest. http://www.netra.org/ They run a bunch of events and while I don't think many are running more that the 450X, it might give you a feel for riding the rock-pile that is New England. Gary
    One of the Fedex drivers that delivers to me is a trail rider and netra member. He had about 30 bikes in the stable when we last talked.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  8. #8
    kiki
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western mass
    Posts
    120
    Thanks for all your in put!
    kelly

  9. #9
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Hello Kelly,

    There is little formal instruction in New England however if you participate in any of the events put on by Max BMW Motorcycles there are plenty of opportunities for some informal coaching.

    In the mean time I suggest you take a look at the Dirtwise by Shane Watts series of DVD's. I took Shane's course last year on my 450 and it made a huge difference in my speed and confidence.

    While I do race the 450 I took the course because while I do ok in the woods I've never had any formal training. It was a real eye opener and three weeks later Max was commenting on how much smoother I was off road on my Adventure.

    What are you riding?

  10. #10
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    Find a Mentor:)

    Nothing quite equals a great mentor dirt guy/gal, if you can find one! Partner up with one of these folks if you ever do find the right guy/gal that rides dirt a lot like myself and your worries will be over. Start a search on the computer for your area and you'll likely find some results. My idea of a great mentor would be a rider with lots of patience and time to show you the ropes, not leaving you behind and always smiling and getting dirty with you...The best. You'll learn best, one on one instruction and classes are great fun too, but I suggest you try my method and find a rider with the above. I've done this myself, training some close friends and it works well. Lifetime friendships will prevail... Randy

  11. #11
    Registered User teepke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    subbing for info, esp. would love to hear any reports from the above course.

    thank you,
    -tp
    '11 F800R

  12. #12
    kiki
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    western mass
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Hello Kelly,

    There is little formal instruction in New England however if you participate in any of the events put on by Max BMW Motorcycles there are plenty of opportunities for some informal coaching.

    In the mean time I suggest you take a look at the Dirtwise by Shane Watts series of DVD's. I took Shane's course last year on my 450 and it made a huge difference in my speed and confidence.

    While I do race the 450 I took the course because while I do ok in the woods I've never had any formal training. It was a real eye opener and three weeks later Max was commenting on how much smoother I was off road on my Adventure.

    What are you riding?
    getting my 2009 g650gs thursday!!!

  13. #13
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Teepke View Post
    subbing for info, esp. would love to hear any reports from the above course.

    thank you,
    -tp
    What I know about Planet Dirt:

    Planet Dirt is part of "Training Wheels" in Mssachusetts and they teach scores of MSF courses at several locations around here every year and always fill up their slots. I took the Basic Rider Course when I got back on a bike after 30 years in 2003 and the Experienced Rider Course in 2007. They do a very good job. I will prolly take the Planet Dirt course when I get some dual sport tires on the 250 Kawasaki Supermotard I just bought.

    Also, there is an MSF dirt bike video that's prolly close to what is covered. I've watched it a few times and it seems like a good starter level program.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #14
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    A Fine Ride, Kelly;

    It will bring many smiles to ya, I'm sure. Always rememeber to smile, even when it gets tough for ya. One of my main fellow man/woman speeches in dirt, "Ride On" and let it run off your back, as a duck does water off its! You're bound to have a face in the dirt moment someday, if you go there and its all in your "spirit" how you learn to deal with it all. Adventures are so rewarding for those willing to go find'em "OFF The Beaten Path". Remember the smile thing. Happy Trails to ya Kelly, Randy"Polarbear"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •