Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Just got back from freight run to Joplin, Mo.. Driving west on I-40 and north on I-540 I was constantly surrounded with bikes headed to Bikes Blues and BBQ Bike Rally in Fayettville, Ar. Running thru the Fayettville, Springdale, Bentonville area was hundreds of bikes showing up for the rally. Stopped in BMW of Bentonville for a quick visit. Bought a MotoMan pin for my cap. Told them I would stop back in on my return trip Thursday. I was informed that they were shutting down for the entire weekend. I was incredulous. 100,000's of bikes in town and the BMW dealer was closed for the weekend. Strange. I've attended 15 Daytona bike weeks and the BMW dealer there is covered up with business. It's got to be their biggest money week. Am I missin something here.

After the run to Joplin, Mo., I got up yesterday , did a quick service on the K100RT and road over to the Return to Shiloh Rally. This was to be a one day affair for me, 140 mile rideover, enjoy the rally and comraderie of the Rams. The 140 mile ride over was good, the old K100 has a charming kinda old school buzz/growl sound out the pipe. I've had the bike over 20 years and I can make the perfect K75/100 sound at speed, reving up and down thru my mouth. Kindof a buzz/whistle. The day was perfect for a ride, got to the rally at about noon. I was# 259 signed in. Had a great time seeing friends and bikes. Walk, talk, eat, stand, sit, look, then start over and do it again. The $1 pancake and 2 sausages were fabulous, I ponied up for 2 plates at $2. The band was pure southern early rockabilly. Steve Clark a RAMS member played standup bass. He does a mean Johnny Cash. Renditions of Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis were played in abundance. After the rally meeting was over, I headed home. I hope I get to come next year and camp out. My hats off to the BMW RAMS who sponser the rally, good job Guys.

I make my share of dumb mistakes. Tim Hendrickson cooks the BarBQ dinner for the rally, and it's quite good. As soon as the meeting was over I headed over and got in line. My mistake was not having my food ticket in hand. Left the line, went to the bike and got my ticket. Started back to the line, took a good look and realized I was going to be 200 back in the line. I figured an hour to get the food and at least 1/2 to eat. I'd be getting home about midnite; so I missed out on Tim's excellent BarBQ. Took off for home, but I stopped in at Brad's BarBQ in Oakland, Tn. and had a plate. Excellent BBQ, I've been eating at Brads for over 20 years. Had a short visit with his son Tracy, then headed home. Yep, a lack of planning cost me my BarBQ dinner at the rally.

Any one interested in hooking up with or joining the Naturally Beemers of Ar., they are having their Fall Campout Oct.22-23 at the Ozark Campground about 6 miles north of Jasper on Highway 7. FyI there is a 2 miles of hardpacked gravel to the campground. Nice time and area to get out and ride the Ozarks and see some fall foliage color change. I hope to get the chance to ride over myself.

Bikes on Beale the downtown Memphis Wendesday Night bike nite is over for the year. Last Wed. was the last nite. It kept me going all year when I couldn't take those longer rides due to time and money constraints. Can't wait till next year.

Bored just sittin here waitin on a load offer. The Olde Bike Club is havin their Oct. meeting tonight at Bubba's Bar and Grill. 6:00 at 7041 Hwy 64, Bartlett next to Memphis. Will probably ride over in few hours. Come on and join me. Time for a burger and a beer. Some cool bikes usually show up.

I didn't have the funds to pull off a run to Barbers's vintage weekend or the Falling Leaf Rally this weekend so I guess what's left is an afternoon ride out to the country to Old Millington Winery, and getting a bottle of Delta Blush. Time to get the old K100 out and head her toward Memphis then north to the winery. Time to ride.

Excellent ride over the the winery. Riding in the country is good for what ails ya. There was agood crowd when I arrived. Got my bottle and headed outside, a group that had a table invited me to join them. Weather was perfect. The band for the day was Nancy Apple and Her Whole Damn Band. The folks who invited me over were from West Memphis, Ar.. Home of the I-40/I-55 intersection where the road construction never ends. Left the winery and took a ride further up the Chickasaw Bluff close to the Mississippi River. I call it my little slice of motorcycle riding heaven. A lot of motorcycle riders from Memphis don't know these roads out here, which is good. Just more road for me to enjoy in peaceful solitude. I found myself imitating the sound of the K bike drone, I call it the buzz/whistle. . I do it for my buds ocassionaly, which allways gets a laugh, then I start laughin and can't do it. Well now it's back to work.

Old Millington Vineyard & Winery
    6748 Old Millington Rd.
    Millington, Tn. 38053
    901 873 4114
    Perry and Carrie Welch
    www.oldmillingtonwinery.com
    Thought I would add this if anyone is interested in getting to the winery. And general info.

Gotta ride planned this mourning. I'm heading over to Batesville, Ar. to attend my 40 year class reunion. I'm going over to see how the old folks are looking. I skipped the 10th, went to the 20th, skipped the 30th. Like allways people and places change, I left Batesville in 1973, but I've rode thru there many times on my many journies around the state. Looking forward to the ride over and the gettagather.

Rode over and back for a long day trip. Met the classmates at the lunch at the Comfort Inn and Suites. Walked in to the room to meet my classmates. Did not recognise a single one. There were about 40 there. None of them recognised me. I walked over to the table with the '71 annual and put my finger on my class picture. OMG's were the most often used phaseology. Goodtime was had by all. That was all I was going to attend, but pictures were going to be taken at the evening party, so I stayed over. Rode around the town for a couple of hours. 40 years does bring alot of changes. I found myself wantng it be '71 again in my home town. Old buildings gone, new ones in their place. Roads changed and rerouted. Still there was enough of the old to satisfy my taste for the past. Back over to the Class dinner and dance for the pictures. I learned that 14 had passed away from a class 119. The band was made up of 2 of the class mates and a couple of guys from the class 1year before and 1 year after. they were excellent. They could play on Beale St. in Memphis. Left the party early and headed the K100 home. The bike ran great all day long. PS A Pioneer Never Quits

My little trip over to the class reunion was a 300 mile one day round trip over and back. 2 class events , a trip out to the county to see my cousin, and about a 2 hour ride around Batesville to see what was old and what's new. I was more wore out than I thought, as I didn't even get out and ride yesterday. I guess having a 40 year class reunion is telling me something. Looking over the 20/25 guys there, I thought only 2 or 3 at most looked in better shape than me. I was the only one on a motorcycle.

Since I didn't ride yesterday, I took the time to do a work on my R100 heads. I had allready degreased them and bead blasted them. I didn't like their look so I gave them to my friend Ron to glass bead them in a different media in another machine. When I got them back, I still didn't like the look, they were better but still not good enough. I had one more process in line any way. I had an old stainless steel pan, so one at a time I boiled them to get the media out of the pores, then rinsed them off and blow dried them. Better, the heads were clean but still not to my liking. Plan B has now been put in place.

My little trip over to the class reunion was a 300 mile one day round trip over and back. 2 class events , a trip out to the county to see my cousin, and about a 2 hour ride around Batesville to see what was old and what's new. I was more wore out than I thought, as I didn't even get out and ride yesterday. I guess having a 40 year class reunion is telling me something. Looking over the 20/25 guys there, I thought only 4 or 5 at most looked in better shape than me. I was the only one on a motorcycle.

Saddened me to see that Dan Weldon was killed racing this last weekend. I have a little connction to this, kinda. I was on a vintage car racing team back in the '90's. Our team finished the 1955 Keck Streamliner built for Bill Vukovitch for the '55 Indianapolis 500. The car was not finish in time and he raced another Indy car. He was killed in that race. I believe he had won the Indy 500 '53 and '54. We raced this car twice back in the '90's at Road America and Road Atlanta. Bill Vukovitch also raced Lincoln's inthe early 50's in the Mexican Panamerica Road Race. Those cars where also highly successful. Our team (Leo Goff) built a Lincoln Capri replica of those cars. This car sctually won it's class back in the late 90's in modern enactment of the Panamerican Road Race. Many racers killed in these races. I think you can get to the Indy site of the streamliner with this. 1955-Year of the Streamliner. Red #4 car.