Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Any of yall riden in to see the exhibit and got time and are interested in more Civil War sites in the Mid South and along the Miss. River. Let me know and I can help you find more sites close by. I have a lot of free brousheres and maps I can give to help you find them.

Heck, if I'm home and got time I'll ride with you and take you to some civil War sites. Maybe hit some blues gigs down on Beale St.

Took a load up to Madison, Wisconsin. Got lucky that it was between blizzards. After delivery, I went on up to Beaver Dam to visit Mischler's BMW. Hard to believe that it's been almost 5 years since the Westbend National, back in 2007. Looked around for about an hour. I wanted to give them some business, finally decided that their coffee cup would go nicely with my BMW dealership coffee cup collection. To cold for me up there, so I headed south to warmer climes. Forecast for southern Wi. was 8 inches of snow, I got out of there. Headed south to St. Louis. Next day, I stopped in at Gateway BMW. Had a nice visit with Honz and Markland. Picked up a new Gateway BMW ballcap and got it in Orange. It is now my favorite BMW cap. Bought a Motoman pin and pinned it on the cap; makes me feel 10 years younger. My Ford van was giving me some trouble, it's only got 410,000 miles on it. Most likely one of the injectors, I'll get fixxed back at the house. Drove by Grassroots BMW, kinda wanted to stop in, but with the van running a little lame, thought it best to get on home. I'll stop in and see Herb and Reno another day. Kinda neat to get around and see alot of the different dealers and see what's happening ouside of my little world down in Ar..

Sultana exhibit info

The exhibit will run March 5 through March 25. At Bella Commons next to First Delta Realty. 2895 Hwy 77, Marion, Ar. . At the corner of Judge Smith Dr. Exhibit wiil run every day 10 am to 5 pm Monday thru Sat. and 1-5pm on Sunday. Admission is FREE. This is in cooperation with Arkansas State University and Gene Salecker, Sultana scholar. If your a history , Mississippi River, or Civil War buff this should be is a good stop. Exhibit is close to I-40 & I-55 so it's a quick easy stop. Probably 15 minute max drive off either interstate. Plez feel free to contact me here for more info.

Ride Meet & Eat

Got one this evening. Feb 1 6:30pm Ye Old Bike Club monthly meetin at Bubba's Ale House and Grill. 7041 Hwy64 Bartlett, Tn. Really just a casual eat and visit. Club has no dues or officers. No drama, just good friendship. All welcome. is this clubs motto. ps Bring some bike stories to share.

Wayne Jackson Grammy Award

Sittin here at the house waitin to get a load, saw the local newspaper, Times, on the lawn. Front page leadin news article was Wayne Jackson on his trumpet. Will receive Grammy's Lifetime Achievement Award Feb. 11. Who's Wayne Jackson? Along with Andrew Love, they were the Memphis Horns. Part of the house band for Stax Records in Memphis, Tn.. Wayne recorded, toured, played with Elvis, Issac Hays, the Dobbie Brothers, Neil Diamond, U2, dozens of others. No telling how much music we've grown up with that we heard him and Andrew, on sax, the sound of their horn section was a part of our life. Not to shabby, they will now be apart of a very select and small group to get a Lifetime Grammy. Wayne was a '59 graduate of West Memphis High School. West Memphis is the sister city to my town of Marion. Probabably after our BMW motorcycles, American music is one of the great things that bind us together. Congratulations Wayne on a life time of achievement. Barry

Super Bowl Party

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Bob and Janet Kelly are again sponsoring their annual Superbowl party. Sunday Feb. 5 4:00 Kickoff 5:30. 9469 Plantation Way Lane, Germantown, Tn. 38139 in Dogwood Grove near Houston High School. 901 212 4632. The BMW RAMS and Ye Olde Bike Club members I know are invited as well as pertinent friends and bikers. Pot luck dinner. Feel free to bring a dish. This party/dinner has been a big hit with us the last few years. Thx Bob and Janet.
    Comin up this Sunday. Looking forward to seein all my Buds in the OBC and RAMS at the party, football, adult beverages, food, good comraderie. Feel free to come and join us.

Just got a call, looks like we're havin our usual impromtu tech session at the airport hanger in West Memphis. Guess I'll go over and see what 's on the shop menu today. There's just about nothin this group wont take on as a challenge.

Had great time at the tech session. Nothin better than watchin two guys workin in unison to acheive a goal. Servicing a Kawa. KLR 650; big job was rebuilding the front forks. When I got there, the forks had been disasembled and the reassembly was in process. Bike was put back together with some more service points attended to, then a quick ride to check everything out. All good. Afternoon well spent. Thx guys for the chance to set in.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Had great time at the tech session. Nothin better than watchin two guys workin in unison to acheive a goal. Servicing a Kawa. KLR 650; big job was rebuilding the front forks. When I got there, the forks had been disasembled and the reassembly was in process. Bike was put back together with some more service points attended to, then a quick ride to check everything out. All good. Afternoon well spent. Thx guys for the chance to set in.
    Next weeks tentative schedule is Friday again. The R75/5 is on the schedule this week. Need to finish up the annual service and reinstall the overhauled speedo. One member of the group thinks we will go sans fairing this year and turn it back into a bare bike, as it only gets ridden during the good weather times of the year. Also need to pull the forward support bracket for the skid plate off of the GS so we can machine a titanium replacement with clearance for a longer oil filter (Mobil M1-102).
    Last edited by hungstart; 02-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Yes by all means /5's are best bare and naked. One of the most beautiful and unique parts of that model is the cool head lite bucket. Needs to be seen and not hidden. I hope I'm home and can make the tech session.

Super Bowl Party was super. Much food, football and friendship. Couldn't have been better. At halftime Bob took us back to the garage and fired up his '61 Buick with 425 CI Nailhead. Had that very authoritative nice V8 sound. We were probably the only Super Bowl party to get the Nailhead halftime treatment.

Rams meeting this Saturday, Feb. 11. Pig N Whistle Restaurant. 6084 Kerr-Rosemark Rd. just north of Millington, Tn. 12:00 lunch and 1:00 meeting. Tab and Lisa Gilliham are the hosts. P&W is about 1/4 of a mile east off Hwy 51. Excellent BBQ. Elvis liked their Q, that's good enough for me.

Sultana Exhibit

Just picked up the flyer for the exhibit. I saw one big error from what I noted earlier. Dates on flyer is March 6- March25. More info at 870 739 6041. I'm hoping that some BMW riders who frequently ride through West Memphis/Marion on I40/55 will stop in for visit. Short quick stop and get some American history.

Had lunch at Pancho's Mexican restaurant yesterday. Pancho's is a long time West Memphis eatery , been there over 40 years. 3600 E. Broadway. at the corner of N. Club Rd./MLK. Any way, on that corner is a historical marker about The Plantation Inn, which occupied the site Pancho's is on now. It tells the history of Music at the Plantation Inn , early Blues and Rock n Roll niteclub and the connection to American music in the Mid South, to Beale St. and Stax Records in Memphis. I know a lot of riders stop in at the truck stops and fuel up on the I 40/55 connection there and ride on. Just thought that some of you music history buffs might want to add to your knowlege of the history of American music. Pancho's is also a pretty good Mex restaurant to have a bite to eat. It's less than 5 minutes off I 40/55.