Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Tire Changer Upgrade

Over at the Coffman home, Rick showed me the solution to the tirechanger fiasco. A large metal sheet of no tread plate to mount the changer on. Yes. Perfect. Excellent. Can't happen soon enough.

The Friday hanger tech day was a beehive of activity. I was kinda surprised, I thought everyone would be at Barber's in Leeds, Al.. Beau had a pressurized fuel line blow off his K1100, Mike had lost ground on the switch of his /5, and I was there to dismount the tire off the rim. Rick was surpervising all of us. It was determined that a to large odeker clamp was the cuprit of the fuel line uncoupling. A smaller one was being sourced. Mike disassembled his switch and cleaned al the contacts, and was still going upstream under the tank looking for a bad connection. I took the wheel off the Nomar and with a little help from the gang and tire irons seperated the tire carcuss from the rim. I set up shop on the trash can and began removing old wheel weights. One was the kind that was hammered on over the spoke nipple. Rick,with the help of a 5 lb hammer and chisel seperated it off the rim. I took a small file and started filing off all the nicks and dengs around the rim of the wheel. I had brought over my 4- pin wrench and removed the 2 large chrome nuts off the hubb. Rick then put his Snap On puller set to use and all the bearings and races and internals were removed from the center of the hub. Clean up of the wheel is next, then polishing out the rim. Finally a little progress on my /6.

Looks like Marion has just doubled it's number of BMW motorcycle owners. Riding thru Marion the other day I saw a new BMW R1200GS vasserboxer parked at the corner of Block St. and Judge Smith Dr.. Usually I see a newer Kawasaki Concours and KLR 650 parked there. Guess the guy sold or traded up to a new Beemer. Marion's lookin better all the time. Stopped and left my card on his bike.

Road over to Beale St for bike nite. Only 4 bikes for awhile, guess bike nite is starting to wind down. I parked next to a new Indian Chieftan, cool bike. My ridin buddy, Steve and I had a late dinner at Rum Boogie Cafe. A few more bikes showed up, but we took off for home.

Had a Ride Eat Meet scheduled yesterday with the Old Bike Club. The group was to meet in east Memphis and ride to Mr. BBQ in Covington, Tn. My plan was to ride from home and meet them there. The weather was a little rough in the mourning, but was clearing. Before I left I checked my email and no cancelations. Took off on the trip about 50 miles in length. It was cool, the 2 long sleeved T's, insulated leather vest under the Stich was just enough. The little R50 is without windshield. Found Mr. BBQ gotta table ordered the special of the day, catfish. Told the waitress about the coming bikeclub ride. She informed me they had called and cancelled. WUSSES! Had a nice lunch,alone. Rode out of town to the country and found a friends place, no one home. Left my card. Rode south to Millington and stopped in the Yamaha dealer, really liked the look of the Super Tenere, my kind of bike. Off to the winery, for some refreshment. Then home. Well over 100 miles of a great ride. The R50/5 is a great riding partner.

Gotta freight load up to Mankato, Mn., then 2nd load to Victor, Iowa. Took the weekend off and went to 2 BMW dealers Sat.. Went over to Van-Wall in Indianola, Iowa; multibrand dealer. Nice folks. What stood out to me were a couple Honda's. A 76 CB 750 and newer CB 1100. Naked bikes, Neat and clean. Took off to Gina's in Iowa City. More my style, BMW only. Had a friendly visit. I gotta cap and pin. They gave me acouple mags, thx. The 2 mags were Utimate Motorcycling. The July/Aug. 2013 had a interesting article, The Thinking Man's Machine comparing a 72 CB 750 and a 2013 CB1100. I kinda find it amussing.

I've run 4 tanks of no alcohol gas through the 50/5, seems that the bike is running good. Will continue running the same fuel till further notice. Had a nice 100 mile ride yesterday down to Miss. A neat side effect of riding this bike is the amount of attention it draws. At bars&grills with bikers, I find it surrounded and then the questions start about the engine, size, kickstart, year, etc. Drivers at the stop light roll their windows down and ask what it is and what year is it. It always draw smiles. The bike makes me a cool old dude.

Ride Eat Meet

The Olde Bike Club has their monthly meeting tomorrow Nov. 7 6:00pm. Bubba's Ale House 7041 Highway 64 Memphis 901 937 1911 All riders welcome.

Yesterday, I went over to the hanger with nothin particular to do. The guys mounted the tire change machine down to the heavy sheet steel plate. Better, but not quite there yet. Anyway Brad Smith was going to mount and balance a Bridgestone on a newer RT. Though job, I found out that particular tire is a tough dismount and mount. Brad got it done. Then proceeded to balance it useing a Mark Pharnes jig/fixture. Brad balanced the wheel first with out the tire, then went thru a procedure of balanceing the wheel and tire together. Nice efficient/ effective procedure, well thought out and calculated. Good job, new valve stem added during the process. I learned a few tricks to help me on my next tire change and balance.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Been working on my front wheel of my '74 R90, clean, spit polish, shine. You know the routine, elbow grease, work your fingers to the bone, anyway been making slow but steady progress. I realized I was getting close to finishing this job. I needed a tire. I had a new set of Continental's 3.25x19 RB2 and 4.00x18 K112 ready to go. Seems they were being ripped pretty bad on another thread. Ancient, out of date, substandard for modern riding. OK, I get it. Went out to the shed and looked thru my stash of tires and found a new Metzler Perfect ME99A 4.00x18. Pretty good. Now I needed a new matching front tire for that front wheel I'm working on and it had to be a Metzler. The Lazertec 3.25x19 fit the bill. Called Don, my biker confidant in North Little Rock last Monday and put him in charge of procurring said tire. Don rolled thru here today and delivered the tire. Making some headway.

Well, the thrill of getting my new tire is starting to wear off and I'm now waiting with much anticipation to get my parts for the K100 project. I'm worse than a 5 year old waiting on Christmas. I'm just a kid who never grew up. Santa does drive a UPS truck, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Well, the thrill of getting my new tire is starting to wear off and I'm now waiting with much anticipation to get my parts for the K100 project. I'm worse than a 5 year old waiting on Christmas. I'm just a kid who never grew up. Santa does drive a UPS truck, doesn't he?
    I know he does, otherwise my grandchildren wouldn't get any Christmas gifts.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

10-4 on Santa, Sibud. Got my December issue of the MOANEWS. I usually get my issue in the middle of said month, good. My springer seat for the R90 is now ready for me to go and see. Their going to mount it on a R90 and I'm going to sit on the bike for a check out. If it meets my approval the metal framework will be powder coated black. I'm really excited. The next step is getting the seat pan covered in some shade of antique brown leather. Did I mention that I'm getting excited.

Went over and checked out the new seat hardware. Looks good. It's off getting powdercoated. One neat thing is no holes will have to be drilled in the frame or any other modifications to the frame. The seat fixture will use existing holes in frame for mounting. Thanks much Leo, excellent job. Will now get more serious about getting the seat recovered. For now it's back to working on the wheels. I'm all smiles.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

I had to relate a somewhat amussing incident over at the seat fitting Friday. My buddy was going to pull out a /6 for me to sit on with the new seat mount. The bike that was pulled out was a '75 R90S. We had to take off the pan and side covers to attach the seat fixture. The interesting part was that the bike belongs to a buddy of mine who got me started riding bikes back in the mid 80's. He rode a '70 R50/5 then moved up to a couple of R90/6's. He talked me into buying his Dad's '71 R50/5 back in '85. That's the bike I got running this last summer with help from the West Memphis hanger crew and have been riding this Fall. After riding with that buddy for about a year back in the day, I bought the '74 R90/6 I'm restoring now. I probably put about 100,000 miles on this R90 just riding with him. After a few years we both moved on to K100RT's. Anyway it brought back some pretty crazy and fond memories of my rides back then with him, and that I survived them. Glad I got to keep my R90 and am going to get the chance to give it another whirl, hopefully early this Spring in '14.