Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

T- Shirt XL; Zip, Zero, Nada

I keep laughing to myself about a funny incident back at Alamo BMW. Since I travel all over the country hauling freight, I find myself in towns with BMW dealers or related shops . One of my pass times after I tour the shops is look for neat stuff, parapheralia, trinkets, etc. with the BMW logo and the maybe the shops logo on it. T-shirts, caps, coffee cups etc. Something with a cool factor. I think it's neat to have stuff that no one else has or wears. Any way, Alamo had a sign up, new T- shirts on sell. Two designs, one with the new vasserboxer and one with the the vintage R32 on the back. The R32 met my cool criteria, so I flipped through the t-shirt stack. Small, medium, xxl, xxxl were all in abundance. No L or XL to be had. Sid Rodriguez the long time parts Mg. was off for the day. I went over to and met Suzanne Oneal, who's one fine lady, and I informed her of the L and XL shortage. She went over and checked it out and sure enough there were none. She got up on the counter and checked the display T- shirt and it was not a L or Xl. A little futher discussion and she asked the question, how many BMW related T's do you have. I was taken aback ,but smiled and answered; I don't know probably 25 to 50, maybe alot more than that. 'Well there you go, your not going to miss one t-shirt'. And that pretty much settled it. I'm still laughin to myself when I think about it.

Sat. Ride Eat Meet Sat.

There is a ride eat and meet this weekend sponsored by the Old Bike Club, and Fred Bradley. Tom Race has agreed to lead the ride. Sat. Sept. 28 meet at the Shell Gas Station on Collierville-Arlington Rd. Memphis 10:15 leave 10:30 to the venerable Phillips Grocery store at 541 E Van Dorn Av. in Holly Springs, Ms. This is the stop for lunch. the old grocery store is famous for their juicy cheese burgers, RC cola's and moon pies. I really mean it.A lot of the riders will be BMWRAMS members, hopefully if I'm home this weekend I will be leading the ride for the western contingent to the store. This usually amounts to a group ride of 1.

Civil War sites.

Holly Springs played a prominent role in the Civil War. It was the site of Van Dorn's raid into Holly Springs Dec. 1862. A large amount of General US Grant's army supplies were destroyed. battles and skirmishes were fought all over the town as all the historical markers will attest. This raid along with NB Forrest's raid in west Tenn. cultimating in the battle of Parkers Crossroads effectively ended Gen. Grants overland campaign thru central Mississippi. The Rams Rally in about 2 weeks is nextto the Parkers's Crossroads battlefield. If your interest is in Civil War history there are markers all over town. Start at the Marshall County museum 220 E College Av. Holly Springs. 662 252 3669 info.

Yesterday, I did the ride over to Holly Springs. Going thru W. Memphis on I40/55 I saw a cool sreet rod ahead of me speeded up and ran beside it. It was a totally cool old style rod. They gave me thumbs up on my little Beemer. Rolled into Holly Springs and on to the Phillips Grocery Store. Got my burger/fries/moonpie set on the front porch and waited on the rest to ride in. Probably 10 bikes already there not part of the club. Nothin like oldtimy ambiance; you definitely get the fill of pre WWII here. They rolled in, about 20 riders and bikes. Good comraderie, neat to check out some of their bikes. The '78 MG Lemans stood out to me. Tom Race told me about the Eric Hughes new CD release party downtown at the Warehouse downtown Memphis. 7:00 PM. Had some till to kill, so I rode over to the Sidecar Cafe to watch some college football. Rode west to downtown Memphis, got my instructions messed up and went to the Spagetti Warehouse. Gotta call and the Warehouse was 2 blocks south next to the Blue Monkey. Rode up, a lady behind the fence said I could park behind the fence on the other side; the code was xxxx. Got the bike over there, I couln't get the cable lock unlocked. I guess I'm a wuss. Fortunately Steve rode up on his R100, He Houdini'd it open and we parked our bikes behind a locked gate. . This place was over the top I guess a couple of hundred in attendence, had a geat nite of Memphis Blues. Eric Hughes, Guy Venable, Leo Goff, Walter Hughes, Brian Alor, many more. Eric's cd is titled
    'Drink Up'. Left early as I was totally whipped.

2013 rams rally

The RAMS are headed to Parker's Crossroads, Tn. for their 1st annual RAMS RALLY. This will be just like the Return To Shiloh Rally, only different. Friday, Saturday, Sunday Oct. 4-6. Parker's Crossroads RV Park and Campground. Exit 108 I-40 north 1.5 miles on Highway 22 to RV park. I think $40 gets Ya in. Several meals offered, swapmeet, all the usual rides, thrills, spills, at a BMW rally. Go the the BMW RAMS web site for more info on the rally, download the rally flyer for even more info.

Battle of Parker's Crossroads

This battle was fought in late Dec. 1862 as part of General Forrest west Tennessee raid. This raid,along with Van Dorn's on Holly Springs, effectively stopped General Grant's overland campaign to capture the capital of Ms., Jackson and Vicksburg to open the Mississippi River and split the Confederacy. These raids delayed this from happening for 6 months. These raids along with two Union calvery raids were a large part of the Vickburg campaign. They took place a long distance from central Ms. and the Miss. River; so most people generally don't grasp the significance related to them. The movie 'The Horse Soldiers' starring John Wayne and William Holden was a fanciful version of one of those union calvary raids. The battlefield park hq is across the interstate and the ladies can help with more info on the battle.

Naturally Beemer fall campout

Just got my Sept/Oct The Beemer Bulletin. The Naturally Beemers fall campout will be Oct. 25-27 at Tyler Bend State park on the Buffalo River. Off Hwy 65, north of Marshall at Silver Hill. Group site #5. if your looking to ride some of the best roads of the Ozarks and camp out with some of the nicest BMW riders on the planet or any other planet for that matter, this is it. Push Mnt. Road, 341 is nearby. If you live in Ar. or love riding their roads time to join the Naturally Beemers and become a member.

The Beemer Bulletin had another interesting article. For some time the Arkansas Dept. Of Tourism has had a series of broucheres promoting motorcycle riding in Arkansas and the many great roads Ar. has. Most of those had pictures with Harley's, black leather, beards, toy helmets, etc. . Anyway , Rod Kilduff of the Naturally Beemers was contacted by Chuck Haralson of the ADT to put together a brouchere with pictures of a more attgatt style of riders. Rod agreed and a group of 5 Nat. Beemers were recruited/volunteers for moving photographs for the latest broucheres. Supposeedly these broucheres will be out and on the shelves of the welcome centers in March/April of '14. Good job guys.

Ride Eat Meet Memphis Thursday

Yep, The 1st Thursday 0f the month is allways the date for the monthly The Old Bike Club meeting. Bubba's Alehouse and Grill. 7041 Hwy64 Memphis Thursday, Aug 3 6:30pm. All bikes welcome and most riders.

Bikes on Beale extended

Was on the Beale Street Merchants Association web site and Bikes on Beale on Wendesday nite has been extended for the whole month of October. Fixxen to head over to Beale and meet the boys, see some cool bikes an listen to some blues and rockabilly.

Memphis Mummies- Run to the Sun 2013

The Mummies are on the prowl again. Time for the 4th annual 'Run to the Sun'. Friday and Saturday Oct. 25 & 26. Mummies are along with the Memphis Kings scooter club are the local Mods & Rockers. They have quite a few events scheduled for those 2 days. These guys and galls look and ride the part. Lots of British cafe racers, bobbers, scamblers, rat bikes, critter bikes show up. Go to the Mummies web site for more info. www.memphismummies.com A lot of the BMWRAMS and members of the Old Bike Club show up for this event. Fun event.

It was hanger time last Friday. My project was was removing a 15 year old RB2 tire off my /6 spoke wheel, gonna clean the wheel up and rebuild the bearing internals. Piece a cake, not so much. That old tire carcass fought us tooth and nail,it whipped us good. We retreated to work on a Triumph Adventure and lick our wounds. Flyboy #1 has the solution at home, which is a large sheet of steel to mount the No-Mar machine on. That tire's defiant days are numbered.

MSF class discount Ultimate Bike Bonding and Advanced Rider courses

I just posted a discount offering to any BMWMOA member or Airheads member for classes at MSF Campus in Alpharetta, GA.

Go to Member Opportunities to see the thread; MSF class discount information; for the contact details if interested in taking advantage to save $25.00 on the UBB or ARC classes till the end of 2013.

John Ringhoffer

No Ethanol Fuel Station West Memphis Ark.

Rick Coffman brought to my attention about the gas station convenience store on N. 7th Street having no ethanol added to the gas blend. Called Seven gas station or Mystic food mart. 850 N. 7th Street, West Memphis, Ar. at the Barton intersection. Tel. phone# 870 735 3211 This is about 2 blocks south off I55/40. Exit 278 I-40

Rams Rally great success

Rick and Susan Coffman invited me to share a drive over to the 1st RAMS Rally in Parkers's Crossroads, Tn. After our disasterous experience with the recalcitrant tire at the hanger, I didn't have the energy to ride over. Had a great time, Best Rally by a Dam Interstate. I can't give enough accolades to Bobby Bowden and all the RAMS members who helped organize and put the rally on. My mailbox is full of text's about what a great rally it was and how impressed everyone was with the new rally and site. It was no small feat for a club to move from one site of over 30 years to another and have this much success. Great job, Guys All thumbs up.