Thread: Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

Greetings all. On August 1st I am going to ride from my home in eastern Washington to Venice Louisiana to follow the Great River Road north to Lake Itasca and then home.

I am a foodie, and I enjoy small towns and getting off the beaten path. Any suggestions of regional cuisine to try, particular eating places, cool spots to check out, etc, would be really appreciated. I will be starting in Louisiana and heading along the river through Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee.

Man, I was really hoping some of you southern folks could turn me on to some good food. I am anxious to try some of the regional tamales.

Any help or thoughts would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkruger View Post
    Greetings all. On August 1st I am going to ride from my home in eastern Washington to Venice Louisiana to follow the Great River Road north to Lake Itasca and then home.

I am a foodie, and I enjoy small towns and getting off the beaten path. Any suggestions of regional cuisine to try, particular eating places, cool spots to check out, etc, would be really appreciated. I will be starting in Louisiana and heading along the river through Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee.
    Read Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, Great River Road.

Quote Originally Posted by hungstart View Post
    Read Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, Great River Road.
    Already have. I own the book and the series on DVD. Going to hit a couple of places from Diners Drive-Ins and Dives too. I always like some local knowledge though.

Wow, surprising lack of responses. Oh well, I have no doubt I will find some gems on my own.

Memphis foodie stop

Rendevous Restaurant 52 S. Second St. Downtown Memphis One of the top BBQ restaurants in Memphis , probably the #1 site in ambiance. The place is world famous. In the alley across from the Peaboby. Enjoy.

Sorry, Peabody Hotel. Check out the ducks in the fountain.

Beale Steet Memphis, Tn.

Check out all the nite life on Beale St.. Food, Drinks, Music. Come on Wendesday nite. Bikes on Beale. Let me know, I'll try to hook up and show you our group of eclectic of riders and bikes. Worth a stop. Ok that's a start.

Thanks! I was planning to try to stay close to Beale street. I am thinking I will be there on Friday the 8th or Saturday the 9th

Any hotel suggestions? I would prefer to walk to Beale and take a cab back if needed. Is it pretty easy to get into the music clubs on a weekend?

Thanks for the BBQ tip. I will try it for sure.

Good Hotel, Sorry no clue

I never have the need for a downtown hotel, so I can't recommend one. There is a nice Tennesse Welcome Center on Riverside Dr. downtown next to the overhead tram to Mud Island. They have all the info on Memphis. Probably a web search will be best.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    I never have the need for a downtown hotel, so I can't recommend one. There is a nice Tennesse Welcome Center on Riverside Dr. downtown next to the overhead tram to Mud Island. They have all the info on Memphis. Probably a web search will be best.
    I always prefer some local knowledge if Incan get it. The Peabody is pretty close to Beale so I will probably book a room there.