Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arizona 191

Cool. I'm heading down that way tommorow. Probably stay west of 191. I'll be camping in Old Tucson for a couple nights, then maybe Patagonia area.
    Thanks for posting some recent pictures(for an idea of the snowpack).

Great you got it in! So, how WAS that first big turn near the mine overlook?

Headed back in a few months as well...I'll wait for the snow 2 be gone and hopefully the grit
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Around MP 223 (I believe) look for the "Arrow Tree" on the downhill side.
    Hey, here's that arrow tree on 191. Does make you pause!

K'nothead
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Great you got it in! So, how WAS that first big turn near the mine overlook?

Headed back in a few months as well...I'll wait for the snow 2 be gone and hopefully the grit
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this... I've had other commitments for the past week.

To be perfectly honest, no one corner stood out for me, especially at or immediately after the mine. At first, I thought I was on the wrong road, as it seemed to be more of a mine service/working road, as opposed to a highway. There was one corner on the mine site under a trestle where the exit had bright sunshine in my eyes, and I couldn't see the sand/gravel. Let's just say it wasn't my smoothest piece of riding.

After that, almost every corner was so tight and challenging that they had my full attention.

Sure glad I went when I did, as the weather took a real turn for the worse afterward.

JP

Jack Herbst

Talking

I have ridden this many times. It is known as the "Coronado Trail" not Devils Highway. The explorer Coronado used this route on his way North. You are able to read your own license plate if you go fast enough. Think about it!

Jack

K'nothead
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have ridden this many times. It is known as the "Coronado Trail" not Devils Highway. The explorer Coronado used this route on his way North. You are able to read your own license plate if you go fast enough. Think about it!

Jack
    Quite right, Jack. When I first heard about it, it was still labeled 666, and nicknamed the Devil's Hwy. I've always thought of it that way as a result, and only later learned it was properly called the Coronado Trail. My bad... this road deserves no disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    if you're not afraid of a little sandy road riding, there is an awesome road that goes from Lake Roosevelt to Apache junction that you could ride on the way back.

ian
    Ian, thanks for this tip. I had the pleasure of taking AZ 88, the "Apache Trail" from Roosevelt to Apache Junction today (somewhat unfortunately in my car, not my bike), and I would have to say it is the most impressive 44 miles of awesome scenery I have ever travelled. If I had my GS, it would have been heaven. As it is, I'm planning a return trip on my RS on the paved portion, from Apache Junction to at least as far as Tortilla Flats. No disrespect on your video clip, but there's no way any camera can do this road justice.

Thanks for the report. I'm a former AZ resident, caged that route several times. Never got to ride it though. Photos make me a little "homesick". 191 is on my bucket list of rides to do.

Marty now in Spo Val, WA

Hi,
    I work in that big hole, also known as the Morenci mine, driving one of the gargantuan trucks which seem so small when you see them waaay down in the mine. I've ridden the Coronado Trail a few times from Morenci to Alpine and it's a great ride - in late spring, summer, or early autumn, when the road is free of snow and most of the grit associated with snow.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Arizona 191

Incredible ride. I went from LA to Tucson, up 191, across Show Low and Pinetop, and ended up at the Phoenix Pits rally. Wow.

I caught this road again on my way to CA last Tuesday...I was the only one on it north of the Morenci Mine for the 90+ miles...saw vehicles again in Alpine.
    Snow on roadside in Hannigan Meadows and a pleasant temp of 52, but sunny & dry for the whole run.

About 1/4 way headed north from Clifton...looking south from where I had just came from
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Arizona guardrail
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jopars View Post
    I'll be on my trusted '93 R1100RS. Unfortunately, I left my GS at home this year. I say unfortunately, because there appears to be lots of great off-pavement riding in this state.
    As long as there is no deep sand or mud, you can do it on any bike. The only thing that makes a R-GS better suited is more room beneath the bike and more suspension travel. I did semi-offroad in Morrocco on a fully loaded RT two years ago. Some rough roads too (potholes, gravel, dirt, broken tarmac).

But you're right about doing these things with a buddy. These backroads are somewhat deserted and when you're in trouble, it doesn't get any better...

@Henzilla: In Spain, they put a row of little stones to mark the end of the road and the start of the abyss...as if they want to say 'don't cross the line'
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

US 191 in AZ

Rode from Clifton to Alpine a week ago. Going North only had to pass 2 cars with about 10 cars going South. Road was in great shape, with only a small section were road maint. was ongoing (about 1 mile). Temp was 61F at the highpoint (9,100ft) and was 88F down in the flat lands. Here was the straight section...

Nice road! I had taken the road N to S in my Honda Pilot and it wore my arms out!

Enjoy
    'If life throws you a curve, lean into it!'
    Bob Bryant
    BMW 2005 R1200RT
    www.teambryant.org