Thread: Boots for touring and general stuff?

Hybrid View

Boots for touring and general stuff?

What would you suggest for a good pair of boots for touring, running around town, and doing other stuff when on the road like walking and just hanging out?

Any features I need to look for? Specific brands that are better than others?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated...

Dave

Dave, I just bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Jr.s & have been breaking them in by wearing them during the day until my feet hurt. I lasted all day at work in the office & a mile walk with my wife before taking them off. They are breaking in nicely & should end up feeling like any other day boot. This from a guy who wears short hikers/athletics 99% of the time!

Depends on what you are looking for specifically. I have a pair of cruiserworks boots.... totally waterproof, comfortable to walk in all day, but could have more protection in the ankle and shin area. For those days you use Sidi boots.... I like the Canyon and a couple of other boots that they have. The Aerostich Combat Lites are not a bad choice... but they need to be broken in, which takes some time...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

I wear TCX Jupiter boots and my wife wears Rev'it Fighter H20 boots. Neither of us have any complaints. We tour quite a bit and spend a lot of hours in the boots (although my wife usually changes to sandals when we get off the bike).

Bates

I'm currently wearing non-motorcycle specific boots. I have a pair of Bates tactical boots; the type officers wear. They are waterproof (gortex), comfy, lightweight, have good protection, and have a side zipper for easy on/off. Very pleased with them on and off the bike. Here's a link to the Bates site, but they can be found cheaper than the msrp here.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-U...?galleryId=G-F

+1 on the Sidi Canyon Goretex.

I've been wearing these for about 7 weeks now to break them in before the spring riding season. They've broken in quite well, are very comfortable, and have become my every day shoe (when I'm not teaching). These are quality boots with a great fit (for me) and extremely good shin, ankle, heel, and toe protection. Yeah, I know they're pricey...but well worth it IMHO.

Note: I wear a US 10-10.5 medium width athletic and hiking shoe and the Sidi EU 44 fit me perfectly.

One reviewer said that if you have large calves, the fit may be too tight up top. I have larger calves and find that fit at the top can be dialed in by the position of the velcro closure. There is a ski-boot type strap across the uppers which takes a bit of getting used to but it is a snap once mastered.

I understand that the Sidi On Roads (>$$$) are quite good as well.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Danner Boots

My wife and use Danner high top boots, similar to what the police use in Canada. We bought them from Cabellas, and they were expensive. They have side mesh panels to keep your feet cool and are Goretex lined to keep them dry. Ours are at least 100,000 miles old and still work like they were new. I don't put anything on them to keep the leather good, just wash them off in the car wash when I clean the bikes. The soles are getting worn, but they are Vibram and can be replaced at any boot shop.

They are an excellent boot and if they ever wear out I will get another pair.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJENKINS2 View Post
    What would you suggest for a good pair of boots for touring, running around town, and doing other stuff when on the road like walking and just hanging out?
    A quality pair of medium to heavy duty hiking boots. Smooth leather and Gor-Tex if you want them to be waterproof. I use Asolo.

They are all I've been using for my 5 weeks on the road every summer while on tour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

boots

i've had the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boot, the full length style. It was made by SIDI for Aerostitch. Once they are broken in, they are great! I had my RT fall on me in a parking lot and my foot was pinned under the driver foot peg. Luckily i was wearing the Aerostitch Combat Boots, not one scratch, bruise, or any broken bones!!!!! There is a fast lace system, a single ski boot latch at the midfoot and two strong velcro straps mid and high calf area. After two years, the only thing i need to replace is the laces. I glued a piece of leather on the left top forefoot because there is no extra tough surface for the gear shifter. It was wearing the smooth boot surface with shifts 2-6. I have HD tall boots, but always reach for the Aerostitch Combat Boots for the superior safety, support and build quality. I am able to put foot orthotics in the boots to give me full comfort when walking. Try the BMW tall socks, or the SOKZ, they are tall enough on the calf not to have the top leather touch your skin.

meanaa

boots

could you tell me the name of these boots and possibly where one could buy them? Bob

Danner Acadia 400G Uniform Boots

The boots are called Acadia 400G Uniform Boots and they can be purchased from Danner at the address shown below or from Cabala's. Both are the same price.

http://www.danner.com/boots/acadiar-...orm-boots.html
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    I went with Cabela's own.

These days a $300+ boot is a bit impractical.

Take a look here.

Pretty comfortable out of the box with removable inserts.

Little bit of styling too...
    Not bad for under $100!

I had to relace as they have a hole for it to pass through the tongue.
    That made it difficult to 'snug up'... So far that's my only complaint.
    Still breaking them in.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

The only problem with boots like that is they don't really offer specialized protection. My uncle is a case in point. Back about 20 years ago, he went down in what essentially were leather boots like those. The toes ground almost entirely out of them. He suffered road rash to his feet, as well as to his knees, & other parts of his legs due to wearing jeans. Remembering what he went through, keeps me in Motorcycle specific clothing dang near all the time.