Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

On the Road

Rain Gear

I'm looking for suggestions for some new rain gear for My wife and I. We have Tour Master Elite two piece sets now, which is good gear, but the trouble is, when we pack both sets in a compression sack I can squeeze it down to just slightly smaller then the tent.

I've had Dry Rider in the past, which I also liked, but I'm hoping new materials and designs will keep us dry and allow us to move our sleeping bags from the panniers to the top case.

Thanks
    Bill

GREGFUESS

Rain

Bill, I prefer the Aerostich Roadcrafter as a riding suit because it doubles as a rain suit. That eliminates stopping under a bridge to put the rain suit on.

But I still wear non-rainproof suits, too and have not found the ideal packing rain suit. The Road Toad suits by Frogg Toggs are great, but do not pack as small as I would like. But they are relatively small, and are great rain suits. And for a rain suit they are pricey at ~$50, but again, they work and are relatively small.

Hope you find what works for you.

BMW Clima-Comfort Rain Suit

I have a BMW Clima-Comfort Rain Suit and it is the best rainsuit I've
    ever owned. It was expensive, but well worth the price. It compacts to
    a reasonable size and most important, it breathes when you wear it so
    that you don't get sweaty or clammy at all. Don

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for some new rain gear for My wife and I. We have Tour Master Elite two piece sets now, which is good gear, but the trouble is, when we pack both sets in a compression sack I can squeeze it down to just slightly smaller then the tent.

I've had Dry Rider in the past, which I also liked, but I'm hoping new materials and designs will keep us dry and allow us to move our sleeping bags from the panniers to the top case.

Thanks
    Bill
    My knee-jerk reaction was to recommend the Nelson-Rigg suit, one of which I finally wore out and have now gone out and purchased another identical set (like it a lot!).

However, you place a premium on compact storage of such gear. Hard to beat Frog Toggs for taking up minimal space.

Good Luck in your quest.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 02-01-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    frog toggs

If you have a Bass-Pro Shop near you they have a rain gear department. I went in with all of my gear on and started putting on the differant rain gear they had. I started out with frogg toggs but they don't fold up very small. I went back and got a pant that has a calf zipper & a matching coat. I can put each one in a sandwich bag.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I also like the Frog Toggs. It's not extremely durable but easy to get on, comfortable, inexpensive, and works well. It wouldn't be the best for lots of rain riding but for occasional use, very nice.

Geeser
    I use the BMW ProRain 3 and it is great. RIde all day in a frog stangler down pour and not a drop on me. Can't praise it enough.
    and it packs as small or smaller than my wife's Frogg Toggs
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

I have the Frog Toggs Road Toad set. Rode across the entire province of New Brunswick in the driving rain and still stayed dry. I am happy with this gear and it packs small enough to suit me.
    Ross

Rain Gear

I have the Frogg Toggs Motorcycle Elite suit in black, as well as the less expensive basic Frogg Toggs suit in yellow. Do a search on E-Bay and you will find good prices. You probably should buy now, because they run out of stock in the summer riding season.

I have tried other suits and they are mostly made of plastic material which won't breathe. Frogg Toggs will breathe and keep you dry. You can't beat Frogg Toggs for the price.
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Frogg Toggs for me by a large margin. They breathe so you will not sweat as you ride in and out of rain and sun. They are reasonably priced and pack pretty small by using the stuff sack they come with.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

On the Road
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    There's no better place to ask for an informed opinion then right here. I'll be going to the Minneapolis bike show this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to check out your suggestions.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post

Bill
    I use a lightweight roll top dry bag for my rain gear (and for my bike cover as well). Squeezing out the air and keeping it out is the key to reducing bulk). REI has lightweight waterproof "ditty sacks" - I use a 3 liter sack for my rain gear. If you have an REI near you, you can pick up a florescent orange one.

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

I've got some Guide gear from Cabella's that both top and bottom pack into a 6 inch wide x 6 inch tall cylinder. Absolutely waterproof at speed as well. Pants have an full lenght outside zip for ease of on/off under the bridge.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Frogg Toggs may breathe better than a lot of the alternatives, but if you travel all day in the rain at highway speeds, you still get wet. I bought a brand new set in Mesa last fall on my way home to Vancouver and found that while they did work better than my nylon rain suit the same old problem every motorcycle suit I have ever owned was back again. Wet crotch syndrome.

It seems inevitable. Rain hits your helmet and a bit hits your chest and it just drips straight down all day and puddles. Eventually it soaks through the zipper or the seams of the cavity in the front of any pants and you get wet.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest and ride all year round or any great distance in constant rain, you're going to get wet.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT