Thread: Hand guards R1100RS

Hand guards R1100RS

Hi, I am looking for hand guards for a 98 R1100RS more for wind protection and to increase the efficiency of the heated grips.

Quote Originally Posted by 85182 View Post
    Hi, I am looking for hand guards for a 98 R1100RS more for wind protection and to increase the efficiency of the heated grips.
    Welcome to the forums, on a similar note, I was thinking the same thing. I purchased the BMW hand guards with the extra upper foil for my f800. I can say that I noticed no difference in them helping in keeping warm They still have a value if someone opens a car door in front of me and it catches the handlebar. You would still need them if you were going to get a product like Hippo Hands. YMMV Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Rally Rat
    I have the R1100GS hand guards on my R1100RS. They bolt right on with no mods. They keep my hands about 50 percent wamer. For about $50.00 (from bobs BMW, they are well worth it (in my opinion).

Motorcycleton
    I also have the R1100GS handguards on my R1100RS. These handguards are pretty effective at keeping the wind / rain off one's fingers.

One thing to keep in mind - the bolt holding the rightside mirror in place is "reverse" threaded. Thus, you turn clockwise to loosen and counter-clockwise to tighten. This bolt comes off to install the rightside handguard - and is removed each time the front brake fluid needs to be replaced (via the front master cylinder).