Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To K or not to K?

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWaterous View Post
    I am trying to make a huge decision. Should I trade in my beloved ÔÇÿ07 GS for a ÔÇÖ10 K13GT with all the fixins. I canÔÇÖt think of any reason that I donÔÇÖt want my GS other than the desire to have a long distance sport tourer with an emphasis on sport. I canÔÇÖt afford both. After three years with my GS IÔÇÖve noticed that my desires are more suited towards road sport than the road/enduro style options. IÔÇÖve explored and enjoyed this way of life but havenÔÇÖt grown full bore into all that the GS offers. It certainly doesnÔÇÖt disappoint in either category. In fact I think it is the very best all around motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever owned.

However, the K1300 has seeded my subconscious with a little devil that taunts me from my left shoulder. I blame my dealer because I was permitted to test drive the S with a large group during a rally. I quickly became enamored with it despite the claustrophobic parade pace of the procession. I kept thinking that riding a bike of this caliber is the closest IÔÇÖll ever get to flying an F-18 Hornet to work everyday.

The K mantra seems to be ÔÇ£complex by choiceÔÇØ but what does that really mean? Off the bat, I am concerned about the total cost of ownership. Having admitted that, is this a rhetorical question that can only be answered; ÔÇ£if you have to ask, then you canÔÇÖt afford itÔÇØ?
    Man if you think you've got problems... I own a 2009 K1300S (see below) and I want an R1200GSA bad. The trouble is I won't give up the K so I have to enter another two-year negotiation with my wife (that's how long the K purchase took). I can assure you that if you have migrated to sport touring or long-distance touring from enduro riding, you are not going to be sorry with the K-bike (or probably the RT for that matter).

The K has power "out the wazoo" and is "smooth as butter" (those are both technical terms and I should know, I'm an engineer). In the end, I think both bikes are outstanding for different reasons and you just have to decide what kind of riding you're most likely to do. But be aware, you can forget going off-road with your K-bike. I almost killed myself on an unpaved gravel road last summer (no fun at all).

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kent Niederhofer; 01-29-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Photo didn't upload.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    The trouble is I won't give up the K so I have to enter another two-year negotiation with my wife (that's how long the K purchase took). Kent

Tell me about it.... I'm an engineer too.....a sales engineer, it took me 2 hours and in the end.....,

However, I am paying dearly by letting my beloved GS go...

P.S. Nice neighborhood.... Good taste. The bike matches wonderfully.
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

GREGFUESS

2008 k1200s

That is an addictive motorcycle. Smooth delivery of incredible power. I put about 28k miles on mine in 18 months and want more.

But get ready for the traffic tickets... 5 in 12 months. And I rode it to Chaco Canyon in NM without any thought of trouble.

Everyone to their different tastes.

Me & K12S.jpg

I have thought that I would like a GS but I can't make myself let go of my K-GT. I love the power and the way that it will chew up miles on long trips. I'm heading to North Carolina in April to see my kids and won't think twice about getting on the bike and going.

I guarantee you'd love the GS for all the reasons we've stated here and more that you just can't explain. I am having a really hard time letting it go. I wish I could have both but I just can't swing it. Im hoping the experience with my new K will be just as rich.
    Also, don't kid yourself, traffic tickets were a problem on the GS too. However, it is considerably understated as looks go and allows for a tiny bit more wiggle room. If you are interested... some experiences with the police:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...t=44784&page=4

Geez I love my wife. When I wanted to buy myself a GS as a second bike a few years ago, she just smiled and said great. When it got written off after a deer strike, I just ordered up the new F800GS to replace it, no consultations required. I did the same the other day when I put the deposit on my new K1200GT. When I told her that night about it, she just smiled and offered to get the bank draft ready for me the next day (she's a bank manager). Her only concern was where we were going to put it until the R1100RS is sold, she was worried that her car might have to sit outdoors at night. She's also a two bike owner, so for awhile there are five in the stable.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Its Official..... I own a 2010 Candy Apple Red 1300GT.

I will remember my GS fondly

Cheers

Rally Rat
    Congrats! Pictures!!!

Talking

Congrats on you new purchase! I don't think you will be disappointed. In fact I just traded my '08 RT for '10GT and loving it. Man this bike has the juice...

Guess I'll need a new call-sign

BoydRT

Yeah I'm really excited... unfortunately its still at the dealer getting the finishing touches on software updates and a part on left handle bar stalk needs to be replaced.

Here in the northeast we are only half way through an incredibly annoying winter season that continues to dump copious amounts of snow and ever falling temperatures that freeze your breath into snow crystals with every exhale. It may be another 6 weeks before I can get it down the driveway if they can even get it up here in the first place.

I will take pictures of her in the snow... should look great, my new Candy Apple Red in a fresh fallen snow.
    Last edited by CH2Ous; 01-31-2011 at 04:41 PM.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    CH2Ous,

Congratulations. You won't be sorry as I've seen that bike in person (in Candy Apple Red) and I know how good it looks. You will soon see how well it rides -- that engine is a beast so have fun but be safe!

Kent

Kent, I will most definatly ease into this bike after riding a GS for so long. Looking forward to taking it down to Bloomsburg in July.

Thanks again MAX BMW...
    Attached Images Attached Images

CONGRATULATIONS!
    That bike is absolutely beautiful.
    You won't regret it...
    '92 K75S, all black...
    '08 K1200GT, silver...
    '06 R1200GS, silver...
    '63 R50/2, black...

Thanks Robday.... Its still very icy here in the northeast so I haven't had her out for a romp yet. I can only describe the anticipation as being 6 years old again, waiting at the top of the stairs for the rest of my siblings to emerge from their rooms at 5am to converge on the Christmas tree.

We have a couple of thawing temp days ahead which will hopefully melt a narrow path down my treacherous driveway to the main road. If I can get her down off my edge of the mountain I may not be home for dinner.