Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Broken Zipper

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DrCiao
    Guest

    Broken Zipper

    So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCiao View Post
    So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?
    Not familiar with the jacket but if you don't have someone locally that does alterations a good source for the service is the local drycleaner. Sometimes a cobbler with a more stout machine is needed for leather. Really not a bad fix.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  3. #3
    Registered User bmwgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    531
    I got a zipper replaced on my riding pants by a leather shop.

  4. #4
    Ute's Chauffeur
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    165
    If you have trouble locally Rainy Pass does warranty work for BMW apparel, as well as, for individuals. http://www.rainypass.com/services.htm

  5. #5
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    If you have trouble locally Rainy Pass does warranty work for BMW apparel, as well as, for individuals. http://www.rainypass.com/services.htm
    That looks like a good resource.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  6. #6
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,109

    Zipper preventive maintenance & repair

    This is on my website from when I used to repair tankbags:
    Here is your chance to "do it yourself" following these simple directions. First it is important to clean and lubricate your tankbag zippers. They are full of the road grime that you routinely wash off of your bike. I use a silicon spray, apply liberally, wipe zipper with a clean rag, reapply and operate the slide. What a difference!

    You should also be aware that most, but not all BMW tankbags use locking tab zippers. To release the lock you pull out on the pull tab, perpendicular from the direction of the slide travel.

    If you have a zipper that seperates after being closed, you can often repair this by squeezing the slide together with a pair of pliers. You want to squeeze it just slightly, not to the point that the slide binds on the cloth portion of the zipper.

    Note: This method works on any zipper that is not too worn, including jackets, pants and Stitches. Lube your tent zippers too, nothing worse than a 2AM nature call and being unable to get out!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    40
    There used to be a place in the mid west around Chicago called, I think, Dr. Zipper. they would replace your zipper and/or add a three inch extension via two zippers to your leather jacket.
    Don't know if they are still in business but I think I saw an ad for them in Rider magazine last year.

    I used them about 10 years ago to replace the zipper on my Heine Gerike Paris to Dakar jacket.

    AGS

  8. #8
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,000
    Sometimes your slider gets out of whack.
    I know I hates it when my slider gets out of whack...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  9. #9
    DrCiao
    Guest
    Hey Lmo1131, what was the name of the sailing place that did your jacket? Was it actually in Pismo?

  10. #10
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    745
    Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum. We all have more plastic zippers than we can count. Maybe he (or you) can answer my first question: what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers? Most of these automotive products don't list ingredients. Is WD40 good? I've been using something called "Eagle One Protectant" with good results, but you probably wouldn't find it in the US.

    If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

    Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  11. #11
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum. We all have more plastic zippers than we can count. Maybe he (or you) can answer my first question: what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers? Most of these automotive products don't list ingredients. Is WD40 good? I've been using something called "Eagle One Protectant" with good results, but you probably wouldn't find it in the US.

    If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

    Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!
    What Doug describes is basically what I said. The zipper teeth have to align in 2 planes, side to side and front to back. Squeezing the slider closed regains the front to back alignment. Just don't squeeze it to the point it drags on the fabric portion of the zipper.
    For lube I used straight silicone spray, found in the auto parts store. I has less 'oil' to attract and grab dirt than WD-40.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  12. #12
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum.
    It may not make it as a sticky but I have added "tags" to make it easier to search in the future.
    what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers?
    I actually use a lot of products from the marine industry and marine supply such as West Marine. The other day when I was there I picked up a tube of Star Bright Snap and Zipper lubricant with white PTEF. This product works well on keeping a zipper moving. Hint-once applied let it set in the sun to allow it to melt in

    If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

    Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!
    Another great hint!
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •