Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Things Worth the Ride in Pennsylvania

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Is that abandoned town with the burning vein of coal underneath it in the general area? I couldn't remember the name of it or which state.
    It's Centralia. It is close to the rally site but, in my opinion, not worth the time.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Is that abandoned town with the burning vein of coal underneath it in the general area? I couldn't remember the name of it or which state.
    Yes, Centralia is its name 15-20 miles S of Bloomsburg

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    It's Centralia. It is close to the rally site but, in my opinion, not worth the time.
    Its a quick stop, and the roads to and from are excellent. RT 61 was buckled by the heat and there is a detour around the attraction. The heated earth is about 110 degrees with the smell of sulfur and melting motorcycle tires.........there are signs warning that death is riding pillion.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The scenic valley below is Ringtown a worthy riding destination. Way south or left from this photo is Centralia. One valley will be wonderful farmland the next valley will be stripe mining or places reclaimed by nature.

The photo below I thought was a reclaimation area but winter weather exposed that it is still active. Sorry this photo was taken last summer, so no updated winter scene of white covered mine trailings. This site borders one of the best twisty roads to Hermys BMW.

A vacant road between Catawissa and Centralia in a valley that fed the Industrial Revolution. I rode this area many times and only shared the road with local farmers. I should have stopped for produce and steamed the veggies in Centralia.

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Low speed, high drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post

I'm going to go for sure, just for the photo op! You can get picture-postcard panoramas anywhere, but this one is special...

Steve
    Good luck. When I was there last autumn, I walked around for a while but didn't see anything that made it worth the effort to pull my camera out of its case.

Good luck. When I was there last autumn, I walked around for a while but didn't see anything that made it worth the effort to pull my camera out of its case.
    That was my experience also. In fact, if you didn't know the area, or the story, it's pretty easy to miss the whole town/site these days.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Thanks for the intel...had read about and seen pictures for years. Closer to the Rally site than I thiought. Even if it's boring it's a distraction attraction.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

How about Worlds' End State Park?

Nice 220+ mile backroads ride from my house...

Yeah.. that is Mapsource 6.13.7 (the HOLY GRAIL)...
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    That was my experience also. In fact, if you didn't know the area, or the story, it's pretty easy to miss the whole town/site these days.
    When traveling south on Rt 61, from the downtown portion of Centrailia, on your right you'll pass the town cemetery the road will bend slightly to the left going around the jersey barriers that prevent you from traveling the old portion of Rt 61. I suggest that you park your bike and walk that portion of the original road that has the most interest;ie gaping holes with fumes poring out..basically now a huge trash pit where people have thrown in garbage to see it it catches fire..

Thanks for the intel...had read about and seen pictures for years. Closer to the Rally site than I thiought. Even if it's boring it's a distraction attraction.
    Steve,

Definitely make the trip and, hopefully, chat with some locals or make the ride with some local BMW riders. If you're careful, you can still see the town streets.

Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by DRw2ge View Post
    How about Worlds' End State Park?

Nice 220+ mile backroads ride from my house...

Yeah.. that is Mapsource 6.13.7 (the HOLY GRAIL)...
    It's a great sight to see. A trip to Eagle's Mere is then required.

In Centralia a Russian Orthodox Church looks upon the valley of life after people with its rustling forest bordered by grid patterned paved streets. However there are two defiant homesteads, a veterans park and the former town center intersection of RT 42, 54 and 61 reduced to a four way stop. The obvious warning signs still go unnoticed by a few tourist that meander among the fumes of toxic mist. The ground is noticeably hot and the closed part of RT 61 is shifted and buckled. But that does not stop those wishing to burn garbage, the original ingnitor to people crafting on hot earth. One can blame the adolescent graffiti, the dabbling with the occult and lack of interest on the ambience. But its still a reminder and promoter of carelessness that might be of interest.

The times I took the curious, I parked on top of the mountain and walked down the forbidden road. There were two times I just drove over the dirt pile barriers and rode the forbidden path...........my GS comfort me. Today one can easily travel this way since the dirt barrier that too hampered water drainage was parted by the town folk making an opening big enough for a boxer motor to take the least path of resistance. Is it worth a stop ? To me at least once, others write blogs about it or use it as a centerpiece to address other environmental concerns to ineffective government intervention and others feel its a way to communicate with the unknown......they must believe Satan uses coal.

Come believe what you wish, its a tragedy that some blame on a Priest cursing the Molly Maguires on a Sabbath morning to careless jubilant victors casting fireworks into a refuse pit during a holiday celebration. Nothing new if you look at town records, it suffered the same fate when someone forgot to yell fire in a crowded theater that left a generation standing in the mist of hot earth and few homes. When will they ever learn.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Steve,

Definitely make the trip and, hopefully, chat with some locals or make the ride with some local BMW riders. If you're careful, you can still see the town streets.

Jon
    Not sure what you mean by careful--the streets are all in pretty good shape, particularly by Pennsylvania standards. There's just nothing on them.

Not sure what you mean by careful--the streets are all in pretty good shape, particularly by Pennsylvania standards. There's just nothing on them.
    Careful meant ......... take your time.

The streets aren't hard to find, but easily missed.

Cool Spooky Pa.

Gravity Hill

The Hooded graves.

http://outtaway.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Statdawg; 02-21-2011 at 05:07 AM.