Thread: Ozarks in March

Ozarks in March

I have a couple of weeks in mid March off for some riding and was looking into riding around Arkansas. I have looked at the weather for previous years and its not too bad but would like to hear from those of you more experienced than me and the locals.

RadRider
    2014 S1000R,2014 R1200GS, 2013 Ural Patrol
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

I could be fantastic, or you could be riding in sleet, snow, hail and cold rain.

If you go with the averages, it will be nice enough to ride.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

What Sibud said. Could be really nice then quickly turn tough. Be prepared for cold rain and wintry weather. Bring warm dry gear. I love riding the Ozarks.

When we lived in Kansas Voni always looked for a good place to run to for spring break. Typically - if there was a weather window - she would ride down here to the Texas Big Bend. The big problem was sometimes how to get back across Oklahoma or Arkansas.

It was probably about "no problem" one out of three years; Cold but not slick one out of three years, and cold and wet or slick one out of three years. Those are not precisely calculated numbers but about right nonetheless.

Have a backup plan. Voni's was always me with the trailer to come get her.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks for the advice. I live in South Florida and would like to plan a ride of about 10-14 days outside of Florida in mid March. I have done the typical Florida rides and the BRP, TN, NC area. If you were planning a ride during this time of the year where would you go?
    RadRider
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

Quote Originally Posted by jmirizarry View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I live in South Florida and would like to plan a ride of about 10-14 days outside of Florida in mid March. I have done the typical Florida rides and the BRP, TN, NC area. If you were planning a ride during this time of the year where would you go?
    Come to the Texas Big Bend - National Park and surrounding area.

See: http://www.visitbigbend.com/site09/index.php
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks to all for your advice. I will continue to evaluate my options for this time of the year. I plan to be at the next MOA rally in the summer too!
    RadRider
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323