Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Vendors @ the 2011 Rally

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Avoiding any restaurant that advertises "PA Dutch" is usually best.
    I've found that shoo fly pie is very useful for on-the-road repairs. It's kind of a cross between spackle and Gorilla Glue.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I think this is the single best introduction to the culture of the Rally site.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

I grew up on PA Dutch food and crave good chicken pot pie. No one could make it like my step mom.

My hubby and inlaws introduced me to Polish/Slovak food. In fact, I'll be spending the day making cabbage rolls and homemade pierogi today.

I've found that shoo fly pie is very useful for on-the-road repairs. It's kind of a cross between spackle and Gorilla Glue.
    Spackle is more useful and Gorilla glue, probably, tastes better.

Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that shoo-fly is really a demonic juxtaposition of PA Dutch and colonial English (the molasses) cooking. Always remember, these people might have been asked to leave Europe for good reason.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    OMG!!! The things you find on you tube! Sad but true!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    I grew up on PA Dutch food and crave good chicken pot pie. No one could make it like my step mom.

My hubby and inlaws introduced me to Polish/Slovak food. In fact, I'll be spending the day making cabbage rolls and homemade pierogi today.
    Real PA Pot pie? Crust baked on top or cut in strips and stewed with the meat and veggies? You pick the wrong one and we'll know you're a poser!

Cabbage rolls and Pierogi, that qualifies as ethnic food in PA Dutch country. Do you eat that with chopsticks?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Spackle is more useful and Gorilla glue, probably, tastes better.

Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that shoo-fly is really a demonic juxtaposition of PA Dutch and colonial English (the molasses) cooking. Always remember, these people might have been asked to leave Europe for good reason.
    Hey! HEY!! My wife is PA Dutch on both sides and makes a GREAT shoo fly pie! Her mom used to make scrapple and quince pie, too, and I liked both of those, but she's been gone for more than 10 years and nobody else in the family cares about it.

But I do have to admit that the one time I rode through Amish country and tried the shoo fly pie at a restaurant, I was sorely disappointed.

My SIL is over and she's promising a turkey pot pie tonight. YUM.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Hey! HEY!! My wife is PA Dutch on both sides and makes a GREAT shoo fly pie! Her mom used to make scrapple and quince pie, too, and I liked both of those, but she's been gone for more than 10 years and nobody else in the family cares about it.

But I do have to admit that the one time I rode through Amish country and tried the shoo fly pie at a restaurant, I was sorely disappointed.

My SIL is over and she's promising a turkey pot pie tonight. YUM.
    Did you ever notice that most all PA Dutch food is yellow?

You have me on quinces. I've never had a PA Dutch dish made with quinces. Did you ever try Mincemeat pie?

Did you ever notice that most all PA Dutch food is yellow?

You have me on quinces. I've never had a PA Dutch dish made with quinces. Did you ever try Mincemeat pie?
    Yellow food? If your shoo fly pies are yellow, it's no wonder that you don't like them.

Yep, MIL used make mincemeat pies, too. And we have pork roast with sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. And then there's the hot lettuce recipe...
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    As long as they have the usual fare.....burgers, ice cream, breakfast food and pizza, I can survive. Each rally has individual local favorites, but none have ever been as good as the bbq brisket from Phil's BBQ Pit at the Johnson City rally.
    I even ordered some of their sauce to be sent to my home .
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

I remember the BBQ guys at Johnson City - he MADE MY DAY
    Did you have any of the free samples - to hook ya in before he opened !!
    PA. video from Sloppy Seconds on PA. was great - after growing up in Northern Jersey & going to most of these places - This yr. I'll be sharing this rally with my son.
    Until then we'll have local rallies to do until July - see you all there
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by 119240 View Post
    PA. video from Sloppy Seconds on PA. was great - after growing up in Northern Jersey & going to most of these places
    It concerned me that I understood almost all of the references in it. I've ridden past the majority of those places. They even flashed Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which is one of my ride-to-eat places when I'm heading for the Elk Country.

It concerned me that I understood almost all of the references in it. I've ridden past the majority of those places. They even flashed Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which is one of my ride-to-eat places when I'm heading for the Elk Country.
    You go up 322 to Penfield then back to Benezette? That's sorta lame, in my humble opinion. I would suggest a route up thru the Quehanna Wild Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehanna) to Medix Run then down Rt120 to Lock Haven and I-80.

But, that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Yellow food? If your shoo fly pies are yellow, it's no wonder that you don't like them.

Yep, MIL used make mincemeat pies, too. And we have pork roast with sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. And then there's the hot lettuce recipe...
    Shoo fly is brown, which is a shade of yellow.

That hot lettuce dressing recipe was originally served on young dandelion greens. Later, the more affluent devotees, started using it on endive. You really need something with a bit of bitterness to balance the sweetness of the dressing.

Did the MIL make steamed dumplings on top of the sauerkraut and pork loin?

Steve
    You go up 322 to Penfield then back to Benezette? That's sorta lame, in my humble opinion. I would suggest a route up thru the Quehanna Wild Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehanna) to Medix Run then down Rt120 to Lock Haven and I-80.

But, that is just my opinion.
    I've done it both ways many times.