Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Food along the Route??

Hybrid View

Bryan

Best Food along the Route??

I just happen to watch an episode of "The best thing I ever ate" on one of the cable channels.

With this thought, is anyone going out of their way to the Rally just to eat at a particular restaurant/place on their route?

Our general route will probably be leaving the Tyler Texas area, then a choice of routes to Dayton, Ohio (Air Museum specifically), then up to the Rally, with Cleveland Ohio as a probable stop to visit some people in that area either before or after the Rally.

Haven't researched any restaurants yet, although this show just mentioned best "corn beef hash" for breakfast in Cleveland (Al's ?).

I have no idea what kind of response this thread will bring, but lets see what happens?

Scotchale
    04 RT, 10 650 Twin
    05 CS, 98 Funduro

Whatever wants to run for the day.....

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Interesting topic!

I've always wanted to try a pasty in the UP
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

When you get into Tennessee, look for a Krystal and a Waffle House.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    While driving to the airport in Wilkes-Barre from the board meeting in November, with two unnamed passengers, we stopped at a diner in a little town on Hwy 11. Passenger #1 had a burger, Passenger #2 had chili, and I had some marvelous pierogie's, cooked properly in butter and onions. There were only two pierogie's on the plate (potato and cheese), but they were the size of saucers.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    When you get into Tennessee, look for a Krystal and a Waffle House.
    Those I like ! It's my understanding Krystals was sort of the southern version of "White Castle" south of the Mason Dixon line ? They returned to Texas a few years ago, a few in the DFW area I believe, only been to one in Ft. Worth recently. No White Castles here (frozen foods doesn't count either

Waffle House...My post midnight favorite...wish they'd go further west, last one I'm aware of most west is in Weatherford Texas, west of Ft. Worth on I-20. Then you can find them as you head east. "Smothered and Covered" anyone?

As for Tennessee, need to research any good "pork" BBQ in that direction...?

Scotchale

Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If you're passing anything from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, that's a good bet.

There's a good road food thread here.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.
    What he said, and look for flowers, or other exterior "pride" in the property. A nice flower bed generally assures a caring proprietor. This goes especially for mom and pop hotels too.

Quote Originally Posted by scotchale View Post
    Our general route will probably be leaving the Tyler Texas area, then a choice of routes to Dayton, Ohio (Air Museum specifically), then up to the Rally, with Cleveland Ohio as a probable stop to visit some people in that area either before or after the Rally.
    If in the Columbus Oh area anytime around Lunch - City Barbeque - multiple locations. While it is all great - most recommended is their brisket! Hungry just thinking about it.

North Coast, Ohio
    Corn Beef in Cleveland, Slyman's. Get there by 11:30 or the line will be out the door.

http://www.slymans.com/

They also do a great breakfast.

BBQ in western Pa

If your route takes you through Pittsburgh here are a few bbq choices:

Traveling on Interstate 70 from WV into PA (south of Pittsburgh) you will find excellent southern style bbq at Hogfathers in Washington Pa. They are at 1301 Jefferson Ave, Washington, Pa 15301. I grew up in Georgia and this is some of the best bbq I have found in southwestern Pa. Look for the Jefferson Ave exit and go north about 3 blocks, Hogfathers will be on your left. http://www.letseat.at/hogfathersoldfashionedbbq

East of Pittsburgh you will find Clem's BBQ on Route 22 East. Their address is 1985 Route 22 Hwy E Blairsville, PA 15717. Every bbq lover in the Pittsburgh 4 Winds BMW club has been to Clem's. http://www.clemscafe.com/

North of Pittsburgh you can get great pulled pork at Fat Jimmy's BBQ at 2612 New Butler Road New Castle, PA 16101. If you are on I-79 you can take exit 99 and then go west on Route 422. Fat Jimmy's is on the left before you get into Newcastle. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148/972808-34.stm

Mark
    04 R1150RT

Good Bets are;
    Krispy Kreme
    Macaroni Grill
    Golden Corral
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Good Bets are;
    Krispy Kreme
    Macaroni Grill
    Golden Corral
    I take the mom and pop place anytime over the chains. Best bake goods are the local bakery, and owners usually take more pride in what is served that the 18 year old manager of some big chain..............IMHO

Melt Bar & Grilled in Cleveland (Lakewood)

http://www.meltbarandgrilled.com/

As the 42nd person to finish their challenge (Man vs. Food) I can attest they do it right.

Traveling north on 219 through PA hang a right in Mahaffey onto 36 and go about a mile to the Feed Store on the right. I can't remember the name of the restaurant inside, but they have fantastic pizza with mom and pop prices.

On a side note, Air Force Museum in Dayton a great idea and free!

Smile

When riding the backroads I've found that asking local folk for a good place to eat
    is usually rewarded with a fine meal at a good price.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe