Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Food along the Route??

Bryan

Best Food along the Route??

I just happen to watch an episode of "The best thing I ever ate" on one of the cable channels.

With this thought, is anyone going out of their way to the Rally just to eat at a particular restaurant/place on their route?

Our general route will probably be leaving the Tyler Texas area, then a choice of routes to Dayton, Ohio (Air Museum specifically), then up to the Rally, with Cleveland Ohio as a probable stop to visit some people in that area either before or after the Rally.

Haven't researched any restaurants yet, although this show just mentioned best "corn beef hash" for breakfast in Cleveland (Al's ?).

I have no idea what kind of response this thread will bring, but lets see what happens?

Scotchale
    04 RT, 10 650 Twin
    05 CS, 98 Funduro

Whatever wants to run for the day.....

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Interesting topic!

I've always wanted to try a pasty in the UP
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

When you get into Tennessee, look for a Krystal and a Waffle House.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    While driving to the airport in Wilkes-Barre from the board meeting in November, with two unnamed passengers, we stopped at a diner in a little town on Hwy 11. Passenger #1 had a burger, Passenger #2 had chili, and I had some marvelous pierogie's, cooked properly in butter and onions. There were only two pierogie's on the plate (potato and cheese), but they were the size of saucers.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    When you get into Tennessee, look for a Krystal and a Waffle House.
    Those I like ! It's my understanding Krystals was sort of the southern version of "White Castle" south of the Mason Dixon line ? They returned to Texas a few years ago, a few in the DFW area I believe, only been to one in Ft. Worth recently. No White Castles here (frozen foods doesn't count either

Waffle House...My post midnight favorite...wish they'd go further west, last one I'm aware of most west is in Weatherford Texas, west of Ft. Worth on I-20. Then you can find them as you head east. "Smothered and Covered" anyone?

As for Tennessee, need to research any good "pork" BBQ in that direction...?

Scotchale

Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If you're passing anything from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, that's a good bet.

There's a good road food thread here.

219 is my usual route through PA. Stopped at the Royal Motel in Ridgeway once. They have a dining room that looked like it hosted every Italian wedding in a 200 mile radius. Great food.

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    219 is my usual route through PA. Stopped at the Royal Motel in Ridgeway once. They have a dining room that looked like it hosted every Italian wedding in a 200 mile radius. Great food.

Holly
    From 219 it's easy to pop off to Denny's in Clearfield. It's a hoot. And it's not the chain with a similar name.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.
    What he said, and look for flowers, or other exterior "pride" in the property. A nice flower bed generally assures a caring proprietor. This goes especially for mom and pop hotels too.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I like down home country cooking. When I am traveling on my bike, I like to stop in small towns to eat. If I don't see an obvious place to eat, I pick out a couple of likely locals and ask them for their recommendations. I have had some of the best meals in the most unlikely places that I would have never tried based on their outward appearances.

One of the best meals I have had was somewhere unknown in the middle of West Virginia on my way back from the Charleston Rally. There was nothing around so we stopped at a dumpy little gas station and asked the owner where we could get something to eat. He sent us to a house with a "restaurant" in the end with a little faded sign. The lady of the house sat us down and treated us like one of the family and fed us a great meal. Looks can be deceptive.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    One of the best meals I have had was somewhere unknown in the middle of West Virginia............ .
    My guess is you are talking about Rella's Roadside Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    From 219 it's easy to pop off to Denny's in Clearfield. It's a hoot. And it's not the chain with a similar name.
    +1 on Denny's! I'm planning a weekend trip back there in the spring. Great roads and very nice folks at the Holiday Inn!

If anyone is coming up from South Eastern PA, I recommend Hanks in Chadds Ford among other great local establishments.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    My guess is you are talking about Rella's Roadside Cafe

Not exactly
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

best food along the route?

+2 on the royal in ridgway--stayed and eat there on a return trip from rt6--could have sworn i saw the pope eating there!!