Thread: New Type of Battery

Riding for the SON

Cool New Type of Battery

Since I am on my third Battery, this new non lead battery looks interesting.

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-44589-F800ST-GS.aspx

It is a Lithium Iron Phosphate.

Quote Originally Posted by roybarnes View Post

It would be helpful to know a little more about the age of your bike-assuming it's a F800st-and why they are going bad. I'm not sure what I'd go for when I need one but Odyssey and Westco are a couple of names I have heard kicked around. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by roybarnes View Post

I look forward to your report after getting one. I figure the Shorai is more shock resistant and the weight savings are always nice. If the battery has plenty of crank power I think it is a winner. My other choice would be an Odyssey AGM. I have had good luck with these batteries.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

From what I understand the Odyssey requires a bit of "modification" to the battery compartment in order to fit - not a big deal, but a bit of extra work.

The WestCo is a drop-in from what I am told.

Keep us posted ... since one of the common failure modes of the OEM battery it that it works fine right up until the it doesn't work at all I'm interested in something better ... and my OEM unit is now 2.5 yrs old...

Looks very interesting. Even though I've had no issues with the battery in my F800GS, it would be appealing to switch for the nearly eight pound weight saving. Thats eight pounds up top too.

I do want to replace the nine year old Odyssey battery in my RS this year, this might be a good choice for it too.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It would be helpful to know a little more about the age of your bike-assuming it's a F800st-and why they are going bad. I'm not sure what I'd go for when I need one but Odyssey and Westco are a couple of names I have heard kicked around. Gary
    Gary the bike I have is a F650gs 2009 and the first battery lasted about 3 months.
    The second battery from our local battery store was a flooded low maintance battery and was weak at starting. I got a glass mat battery in service now and it sometimes is a little weak at turning over. I have a odyssey in my 1150gs and love it, but they don't have one for the 650.
    This battery would solve the problems with lead in the kids small bikes and ATV"S.
    My dealer is 140 miles away and getting another bad battery did not make sence to me, because I would have to take other wheels and miss another day of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    Looks very interesting. Even though I've had no issues with the battery in my F800GS, it would be appealing to switch for the nearly eight pound weight saving. Thats eight pounds up top too.

I do want to replace the nine year old Odyssey battery in my RS this year, this might be a good choice for it too.
    It blows my mind that the thing weighs less than 2lbs.... is that right?

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob59 View Post
    It blows my mind that the thing weighs less than 2lbs.... is that right?
    That is what the chart says. Think of portable drill motors that are used in construction.

I have a Dewalt drill with the Li battery pack that weighs about 2lbs
    http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dc9280_2.aspx

It fires up my drill fine, and lasts a long time ... but when I look at it ... it just seems hard to beleive 2lbs of battery could last 5 years in my bike esp. the part about 80+ amps for the starter motor on a cold morning...

but I wouldn't complain

On the warranty page they talk about a "5-pin BMS port" on the battery...
    What the heck is that?

Registered User BetterLateThanNever's Avatar

Bump up...

Anyone purchased/used this battery yet? I've seen a few notices about it and it certainly sounds great on paper. I've not had any real issues with my battery (G650GS 2009), but I'm looking ahead to what comes next when I do get a new one.
    Michael
    2009 G650GS

any problem with these and the CANBUS system? or with preinstalled trickle chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob59 View Post

On the warranty page they talk about a "5-pin BMS port" on the battery...
    What the heck is that?
    It's a connector on the battery that allows you to plug in their special charger that provides an equalization charge on the individual cells. Theoretically this will give the battery even longer life. If you are interested in the long description look at this link
    http://americansolarchallenge.org/wo...01-01-0959.pdf
    2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 97,000, 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

I believe the Odessey PC 610 will fit the 650 if you don't mind the $180 price tag. I do.
    I think the bigger issue is why your bike is so hard on batteries. You might need to solve that instead of throwing batteries at it.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90