Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies?

On Pay Per View

just last night. ......The Debt....! Not filled with stars, not much sex, medium violence.

A story about Nazi hunters set in 1965 Berlin. {IMO} very good, gritty movie, strays a bit from hstory, but still .....one of those where I hated to even step to the fridge for another beer...

A new one I want to see is War Horse. I'm a 'softie' for animals though,...I {HOPE} the horse doesn't die.

J. Edgar

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

The Help was thought provoking.

an *old* one

well, oldER anyway-

The Bourne Identity (on DVD)

Starring Matt Damon and the female lead from Run Lola Run, Franka Potente.
    excellent action film with a solid plot!

waiting for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.....
    lots of hype over the Hollywood release.

Good Flicks

+1 for Secondhand Lions.

Another all time favorite: The Quiet Man. Best if you can see it in the original B&W.

Atlas Shrugged ought to be a requirement, I can't wait for part 2!

The Bishop's Wife is a 1947 Samuel Goldwyn romantic comedy feature film starring Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven in a story about an angel who helps a bishop with his problems. You can see it here.

HUGO is worth seeing especially if you enjoy clocks, mechanical devices, and wish to see a tribute to the silent film era all in one.

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

TinTin

TinTin is brilliant right down to the proper sidecar piloting in a brief scene, this life like animation is exciting and in true form of the beloved comics. Some of the scenes seem to extend the sequence of adventure to a point of exhaustion and you must watch closely because there are a few things occurring on the borders so please mind the terrier as one of the main characters.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - US version (2011)

Excellent actually. I saw the entire Swedish series and thought they were great, and was afraid the US version would be too Hollywood. It's not - follows the book story quite well, performances are excellent and really outstanding by Rooney Mara as Lisbeth.

Rooney Mara went above and beyond for the roll. Besides getting all the piercings shown in the movie for real - she also learned to ride a motorcycle since the motorcycle (unlike the Swedish version) is at least a minor character in the movie.

The riding scenes are great - some very skilled and ballsy riding. I don't think she did all the riding, but apparently she wasn't doubled for a lot of the movie. There are some interesting websites about the motorcycle(s) that were made for the movie (the reason for the "s" is - there were three identical ones made to withstand the rigors of film use.)

It's called "The Feel-Bad Movie of the Christmas Season" - and it sort of is, but it's also quite good (but dark) and intricate enough to keep my attention through the entire movie (and leaves me with the intention of owning it when it comes out on BlueRay..)

1-4 stars - this gets 4 stars from me.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Smile

"Good movies?"

That's almost 'oxymoronic' given today's Hollywood standards and leanings.

However.............. rented "UNKNOWN" starring Liam Neeson last night.

Really enjoyed that flick!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Seen any good movies

Warhorse.

Also, if you missed it in the theatre, rent "Secratariat."

I am not a horse owner and have no affiliation with horses, other that the iron one (R1200R) that lives in my garage, but I found both of these movies will lift your spirits and restore your faith that humans can have an emotional attachment to animals that is lifechanging.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    "Good movies?"
    That's almost 'oxymoronic' given today's Hollywood standards and leanings.
    The ones I saw I thought were great but I have been avoiding the flash bang ones destined to become video games.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    Warhorse. I am not a horse owner and have no affiliation with horses, other that the iron one (R1200R) that lives in my garage, but I found both of these movies will lift your spirits and restore your faith that humans can have an emotional attachment to animals that is lifechanging. Bill
    I agree, this is very nice movie.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Excellent actually. I saw the entire Swedish series and thought they were great, and was afraid the US version would be too Hollywood. It's not - follows the book story quite well, performances are excellent and really outstanding by Rooney Mara as Lisbeth.

Rooney Mara went above and beyond for the roll. Besides getting all the piercings shown in the movie for real - she also learned to ride a motorcycle since the motorcycle (unlike the Swedish version) is at least a minor character in the movie.

The riding scenes are great - some very skilled and ballsy riding. I don't think she did all the riding, but apparently she wasn't doubled for a lot of the movie. There are some interesting websites about the motorcycle(s) that were made for the movie (the reason for the "s" is - there were three identical ones made to withstand the rigors of film use.)

It's called "The Feel-Bad Movie of the Christmas Season" - and it sort of is, but it's also quite good (but dark) and intricate enough to keep my attention through the entire movie (and leaves me with the intention of owning it when it comes out on BlueRay..)

1-4 stars - this gets 4 stars from me.
    +1 on GWTDT. we also read all the books and saw all 3 Swedish films, only the first of which we thought was really good, number 2 wasn't good at all, and 3 pulled it out in the end.

Hollywood's version came out alright tho, in spite of having to overcome a major (IMO) obstacle of meeting the standards set in casting alone that the Swedish films established over a year ago. in this regard, only Rooney Mara pulled it out, totally nailing the part of Lisbeth Salander, by completely immersing herself in the character. to me, Daniel Craig is only partly believable in the role of Mikael Blomkvist.

the film was pretty much dead on, tho i'm trying to imagine viewing it without having the benefit of having read the books and seen the Swedish films... the story line seemed a bit jerky but i guess the overall substance [of the novel] was there, solid enough. Fincher changed the storyline a bit but only in one instance was it rather significant, i thought- though admittedly it didn't detract from our enjoyment of the film, so not a game changer. his collaboration with Trent Reznor for the soundtrack DID help however, i must say- i'm a rock-n-roll fan anyway. BUT i admit i didn't *get* the cover of Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song until i was seated in the theater, and then i was like "oh yeah- it's Trent Reznor."

Ultimately, we liked Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, or at least didn't NOT like it!

oh, the fact that my buddy Justin Kell built the bikes and trained Ms Mara to ride (she was NOT at first enthusiastic but warmed to the concept and eventually rode well) helped perhaps more than a little. the bike here is featured more prominently than in the Swedish films. below is a link to the story of the CB 350s that Glory Motor Works built for the film.

http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-movie
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 01-01-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thumbs up Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

is a tense, down tempo spy thriller.
    Gary Oldman is brilliant. the casting, in general, is pretty great. we liked it, now i gotta go back and read the book.

This is a classic....wish I could have found the trailer. More here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083717/

Cannery Row

Last edited by Omega Man; 04-22-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add title as link has dropped
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I attended a Foreign Film Festival this past week.

I like animations thanks to Rango, Tin Tin and now Chico & Rita

Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, this is the story of a love affair between two musicians which spans six decades, numerous countries and political regimes. In 1948, Chico is a hotshot jazz pianist living in Havana, where his reputation as a ladies' man nearly outshines his talent at the keyboard. When Chico sees Rita singing at a nightclub, it's love at first sight. After a quarrel, Rita is approached by an American talent scout and travels with him to New York. Not wanting to lose Rita, Chico and his best friend, Ramon, follow her to the Big Apple. This is a colorful and pulsing work of unusual charm.
    "A visually hypnotic, musically electric film.ÔÇØ -Hollywood Reporter

I liked the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but for those that like a Hitchcock style and even crazier checkout WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN. It reminded me of one of my clients about 35 years ago.

A suspenseful and gripping psychological thriller, this film explores the complex and difficult relationship between a mother and her son. Tilda Swinton, in a tour-de-force, Golden Globe-nominated performance, plays a mother contending with the increasing malevolence of her first-born child, Kevin. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, this film explores the question of nature versus nurture in new ways, as Eva's culpability is measured against Kevin's criminal behavior. Ramsay's masterful storytelling simultaneously combines a provocative moral ambiguity with compelling narrative, and builds to a chilling, unforgettable climax.

ÔÇ£Acting doesn't get much better than the subtly brilliant display put on by Tilda Swinton.ÔÇØ -Rolling Stone