Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65

Thread: A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

  1. #46
    Registered User motocamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    163

    Does this count?

    Greetings
    I never leave home with out it.

    http://www.aerostich.com/off-the-roa...l-machete.html
    The most usefull knife I own.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

    2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

  2. #47
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Must be a folding knife. May not have a locking blade. Under current English law a knife that can not be closed without releasing a lock is a fixed blade knife, thus illegal to carry in public places.

    I think all my current knives save one would be troublesome to carry were I in England.
    can't see the value of a knife without a locking blade, unless it's strictly for collectability.
    didn't really know the law specifically but i DO know that when i was in England for 3 weeks riding old BritBikes with my buddies, all of the English guys gasped and acted scandalised when it was found i carried a pocket knife.

  3. #48
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,535
    I don't understand. I've never owned a pocket knife with a locking blade. I'm thinking of my Swiss Army knives and my Leatherman Juice. They've all been perfectly adequate for my needs.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  4. #49
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    I never leave home with out it.
    One lives in my left pannier. Perfect for making kindling out of collected camp-fire wood. For cutting, though, I found this to be much easier on the hands:

    Name:  military-pocket-chainsaw-1.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  16.3 KB

    That pouch is about 3" by 3.5" to give you a feel for its size. I use it to cut stuff to size, then the ontario machete to make the kindling. Note: you can beat the 'stich price by about $25 if you look around a bit.

  5. #50
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003
    I only buy locking blade pocket knives. Almost cut off a finger years ago with a non-locking blade.
    Ride Safe

  6. #51
    Registered User savategreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    41
    This goes everywhere with me.
    "Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"-Filipino saying
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission, TX
    Posts
    270

    A big one

    If that is bigger than a 5" blade you can't carry it in a public school in Texas.
    LOL! What a weird rule... 5 inch blade?!?!?! I could see 2 or maybe 3 inches but 5???

    tsp

    Quote Originally Posted by savategreg View Post
    This goes everywhere with me.
    "Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"-Filipino saying

  8. #53
    Touring Panpsychist Theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by savategreg View Post
    This goes everywhere with me.
    "Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"-Filipino saying
    Now THAT'S a knife!
    Theo

    2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

  9. #54
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I don't understand. I've never owned a pocket knife with a locking blade. I'm thinking of my Swiss Army knives and my Leatherman Juice. They've all been perfectly adequate for my needs.
    alright, bro. to each their own.
    tell me your knife NEVER folded on you and cut you? never even ALMOST cut you? never ONCE folded unexpectedly?
    honestly?
    seriously?

    to my mind
    A: if there is a way that something bad can/may/will happen, do it ANOTHER WAY.
    B: why take a chance?
    C: DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!

    i use my knife as a tool for work. i use it as a tool for recreation. i use it forwards, backwards, upside down, hanging off moving things high off the floor, in every conceivable (and INconceivable) way, manner, position, etc.
    i use it often and i use it hard.

    with locking blade knives on the market, i wouldn't even consider anything else. (BTW i DO own an old Case Sodbuster i found once- haven't used it in over 20 years) call me crazy, but pain hurts. i've been hurt a lot and know (now) what it takes to keep from getting hurt. a lock-blade knife is merely ONE way to NOT get hurt.

    (not trying to be a d*ck, and i sincerely hope you never get hurt with your Swiss Army Knife and NON locking Leatherman...)

  10. #55
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,535
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    alright, bro. to each their own.
    tell me your knife NEVER folded on you and cut you? never even ALMOST cut you? never ONCE folded unexpectedly?
    honestly?
    seriously?

    to my mind
    A: if there is a way that something bad can/may/will happen, do it ANOTHER WAY.
    B: why take a chance?
    C: DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!

    i use my knife as a tool for work. i use it as a tool for recreation. i use it forwards, backwards, upside down, hanging off moving things high off the floor, in every conceivable (and INconceivable) way, manner, position, etc.
    i use it often and i use it hard.

    with locking blade knives on the market, i wouldn't even consider anything else. (BTW i DO own an old Case Sodbuster i found once- haven't used it in over 20 years) call me crazy, but pain hurts. i've been hurt a lot and know (now) what it takes to keep from getting hurt. a lock-blade knife is merely ONE way to NOT get hurt.

    (not trying to be a d*ck, and i sincerely hope you never get hurt with your Swiss Army Knife and NON locking Leatherman...)
    No offense taken. I understand the problem you're talking about, but -- and I suppose I'll cut off a finger now that I'm going to say it -- I've never even almost cut myself with the blade folding back on me.

    I don't use the knife for work, but it's in my pocket all the time and it gets regular use. I'm sure I use it just about every day for some purpose -- opening letters, boxes, using the various screwdriver blades, even the corkscrew gets used.

    Here's a photo of the Juice, in 2006, after making an emergency, side of the road repair to my R90S, when I found the choke dangling off the left side Dell'Orto. Note the new gasket I cut with it.

    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  11. #56
    Registered User fastdogs2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    343

    Pocket Knives

    This thread inspired me. I hadn't had a real pocket knife since I was a kid. It was a different time then. All kids carried pocket knives to use for anything from cutting fishing line to whittling a piece of wood, just to see what you could make out of it. None of us kids even vaguely considered using our knives for any violent purpose, nor were we viewed as criminals for carrying a pocket knife.

    I have a small (two-bladed) Swiss Army knife that my daughter gave me as a gift, but that comes out only when I am doing chores in the yard. After reading this thread, I decided to see what kind of knives are available today.

    So I visited REI and after looking at the display, I purchased a Kershaw Leek, which I put in my R1200R side case, where I store all of my emergency items.

    http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...eek-KS1660.htm

    On my second visit to REI, I noticed they had a blue Benchmade knife, model 901-530, on sale.

    http://www.rei.com/product/801860

    It was the last one they had and was made especially for REI. I figured I need that one too, It has been invaluable for opening boxes. A very sharp knife!

    So since I have three knives now, I guess I could be called a knife collector of sorts.

    Thanks for showing what is out there in the world of knives.

    Now, what do you all have for flashlights? I have a couple of Surefires and a Nebo Redline that I just bought.
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Posts
    288
    I had to get a new pocket knife a few years ago, I always had a small folder, my father gave me the classic boyscout two blade, screwdriver type, that I cut myself within the first five minutes of using, when I was in about third grade, any way I put the latest one in the box at his wake, in case he needed it when he got to where he was going. he was 79.
    Brian

    86 k100rt, 78 r80/7

  13. #58
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    No offense taken. I understand the problem you're talking about, but -- and I suppose I'll cut off a finger now that I'm going to say it -- I've never even almost cut myself with the blade folding back on me.

    I don't use the knife for work, but it's in my pocket all the time and it gets regular use. I'm sure I use it just about every day for some purpose -- opening letters, boxes, using the various screwdriver blades, even the corkscrew gets used.

    Here's a photo of the Juice, in 2006, after making an emergency, side of the road repair to my R90S, when I found the choke dangling off the left side Dell'Orto. Note the new gasket I cut with it.

    that's awesome! that *Juice* looks like it's been around the block a time or two. was that one of the first models with tools accessible without having to open the body up? i just bought a Surge, after having lost my trusty SuperTool 200
    (i think it was stolen- OR maybe the *ghost* got it. OK, i know- but that's a whole other story)
    anyway, still waiting to get into use of the Surge, but it has the 4 main tools accessible from *outside* the body of the thing. second biggest Leatherman made.

  14. #59
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeone View Post
    I had to get a new pocket knife a few years ago, I always had a small folder, my father gave me the classic boyscout two blade, screwdriver type, that I cut myself within the first five minutes of using, when I was in about third grade, any way I put the latest one in the box at his wake, in case he needed it when he got to where he was going. he was 79.
    bless his heart and i hope the knife serves him well *out there*.

  15. #60
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    This thread inspired me. I hadn't had a real pocket knife since I was a kid. It was a different time then. All kids carried pocket knives to use for anything from cutting fishing line to whittling a piece of wood, just to see what you could make out of it. None of us kids even vaguely considered using our knives for any violent purpose, nor were we viewed as criminals for carrying a pocket knife.

    I have a small (two-bladed) Swiss Army knife that my daughter gave me as a gift, but that comes out only when I am doing chores in the yard. After reading this thread, I decided to see what kind of knives are available today.

    So I visited REI and after looking at the display, I purchased a Kershaw Leek, which I put in my R1200R side case, where I store all of my emergency items.

    http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...eek-KS1660.htm

    On my second visit to REI, I noticed they had a blue Benchmade knife, model 901-530, on sale.

    http://www.rei.com/product/801860

    It was the last one they had and was made especially for REI. I figured I need that one too, It has been invaluable for opening boxes. A very sharp knife!

    So since I have three knives now, I guess I could be called a knife collector of sorts.

    Thanks for showing what is out there in the world of knives.

    Now, what do you all have for flashlights? I have a couple of Surefires and a Nebo Redline that I just bought.
    congratulations on the new *collection*.

    FLASHLIGHTS? sounds like a whole other thread to me man.
    (SureFire, Pelican, Petzl)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •