Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

A pocket knife can be very useful in the event of a close encounter with a bear, especially a grizzly. The secret is to see the bear far enough in advance so you can inflict a fatal wound on yourself before the bear gets to you.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    A pocket knife can be very useful in the event of a close encounter with a bear, especially a grizzly. The secret is to see the bear far enough in advance so you can inflict a fatal wound on yourself before the bear gets to you.
    Now that's the most common sense...and hilarious....comment I've seen on this thread yet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!
    About that same era , the TSA let my wife mail my Dads old fingernail knife back to herself-instead of keeping it. I bought a leatherman on ebay from the Hoover Dam folks(captured from a terrorist no doubt!)-I have been told thats illegal but their feedbacks were in the 1,000's !!!
    And say, that knife roll would fit right in here in hillbilly land

BTW, what do you do with a bad boy like the thread starter knife?

Bury the thing

At an airport in a small town I went outside to bury my knife in their garden section (wrapped in plastic of course). But then I realized I had driven my car to the airport!

I normally carry a SOG Aegis in camo with normal black blade and a Leatherman Micra on my person. Also carry the large Leatherman multitool on my bike.

tsp

first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
    Since the old saying is that you don't really need to be able to run faster than a bear but just faster than your slowest friend, the knife could be used to cut one of your buddy's shoelaces.

I have always owned and carried pocket knives. Case, Schrade, Buck, and lately Spyderco. I favor Cold Steel for a sheath knife but own many other brands.
    Ride Safe

i just bought a Benchmade mini-griptilian, liked it so much i bought another one. now i have one for my tank bag and one for everyday carry.

I'm not a real knife guy, but when I was in Bradford, Pa. I had the opportunity to visit the Zippo lighter/ Case knife museum and factory. Really enjoyed it.

Unhappy Benchmade BMW knife??

I don't own a Benchmade, but understand a lot of folks really like their Benchmade knives. Being made in the USA is a real selling point for me!! I carry a Kershaw now, but it never hurts to have a few pocket knives!! I'd love to have a Benchmade, and might just buy one.

So, as I was just looking at the Benchmade site, I see that they make a whole slew of knives with Harley Davidson logos.

Wonder if the Board of Directors might work with them to make up a few models for us BMW owners, with the BMW logo??

Oh, silly me, the powers-to-be in the fatherland probably wouldn't allow that. Might have to use our BMW MOA logo?

Anybody else interested?

piperjim
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

They had a public sell off of confiscated and abandoned airport stuff in Austin a year ago..the TV folks panned across around 8 large tupperware bins filled with pocketknives...it was stunning to see that many and from a short time period. I need to go check that event out sometime. I bet that is where the EBAY guys stock up....seems like any knife in the bins was $5!
    nowadays you can simply mail your knife home to yourself, RIGHT FROM THE SECURITY CHECKPOINT! last year i was flying out of Houston, and had been somewhat distraught because my dad was dying... i forgot to put my pocket knife into my checked baggage, until i got right up to security. i raised my hand as i advanced in the line, was noticed pretty much immediately by a TSA person. when she came over to ask what was up, i told her i'd accidentally come in with my knife. "No Problem!" she said. she walked me thru the process of self-addressing an "envelope" and for a few bucks, my knife was in the MAIL!

while i was at it, i asked the *nice lady* about carrying things like knives, multi-tolls, and tools in general on planes, in carry-on luggage. seems the rules have softened up a bit... now. don't take MY word for it, BUT i was told that if you *declare* your "tools", you can tote all manner of things onto a plane. if you consider trying it, i would check with your airline AND/OR go to the TSA website first...
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 02-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.

i usually carry a Spyderco knife but lately have been carrying a BenchMade (Chinese) knife... i know shame on me(!) well it WAS cheap..er i mean INEXPENSIVE... got it at www.sierratradingpost.com

for a multi tool, i carry a Carbon Black Leatherman Surge (i also use this at work, but NEVER leave home on a M/C trip without it) i USED to have a Black Supertool 200, which somebody apparently liked better than i did. opted for the Surge this time, because the knife blade and 3 other *tools* can be accessed without opening the thing all the way up. it has a bad-@$$ pair of shears!

i love knives, have a pile of them but in no way am i as organised about it as SOME folks around here....
    Spyderco is probably my favorite brand. i've had several Delica's. great knives but seriously sharp when new.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    nowadays you can simply mail your knife home to yourself, RIGHT FROM THE SECURITY CHECKPOINT! last year i was flying out of Houston, and had been somewhat distraught because my dad was dying... i forgot to put my pocket knife into my checked baggage, until i got right up to security. i raised my hand as i advanced in the line, was noticed pretty much immediately by a TSA person. when she came over to ask what was up, i told her i'd accidentally come in with my knife. "No Problem!" she said. she walked me thru the process of self-addressing an "envelope" and for a few bucks, my knife was in the MAIL!

while i was at it, i asked the *nice lady* about carrying things like knives, multi-tolls, and tools in general on planes, in carry-on luggage. seems the rules have softened up a bit... now. don't take MY word for it, BUT i was told that if you *declare* your "tools", you can tote all manner of things onto a plane. if you consider trying it, i would check with your airline AND/OR go to the TSA website first...
    I "declared" my SA last month and the TSA person simply said "Hey Joe, another surrender" Joe came by and left with my knife. I bet Joe has an ebay account!
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

HMMM. maybe it depends on the airport?
    at IAH they had a machine right there. i had my Spyderco back home in less than a week.
    i thought "finally. pure genius." as i have always held that they should facilitate us commoners in such cases.
    perhaps another issue (can you even count 'em all?) with these jerk-offs is inconsistency?

as an aside,
    it is illegal to carry a pocket knife in England...
    i have heard of folks being arrested and having their pocket knives confiscated in TIMES SQUARE, NYC...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    as an aside,
    it is illegal to carry a pocket knife in England...
    Wikipedia says that's not so, if the blade is under 3": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Wikipedia says that's not so, if the blade is under 3": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation.
    Must be a folding knife. May not have a locking blade. Under current English law a knife that can not be closed without releasing a lock is a fixed blade knife, thus illegal to carry in public places.

I think all my current knives save one would be troublesome to carry were I in England.