Thread: A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

Hybrid View

Thumbs up A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

I bought a new pocket knife. Its a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian 556. Here's a pic from the Benchmade site:

The blade opens easily with the thumb stud, which is on both sides of the blade so its both right and left handed. After a little practice it can be opened and closed with one hand. It also locks open securely. The clip is right or left handed, too. It can be removed with a tiny allen wrench and put on the other side. In the picture above the clip must be on the other side of the handle, which means its set up right-handed. You can also just remove the clip and keep it off, which I may do since I just keep it in my pocket.

Its not spring assisted, which I didn't want as they are illegal and/or considered switchblades in a lot of states. The blade is 2.91" which is legal in all 50 states (Texas' legal limit is 5 1/2", and quite a few states limit legal knives to 3 1/2" or 3").

Its VERY sharp! Surprisingly so! All the reviews I read were great. I got it for $84 at Bass Pro Shops here in the Dallas area, and you can find it online for as little as $60. But I wanted to hold and feel it before buying, and doing that at a retail outlet then buying online seems a bit unprincipled to me. A bit high-end, maybe, but what the heck.

I'm happy with it. I've carried an old Swiss Army pocket knife for years, but I felt the itch for something new without so many gadgets.

I got the black because, well..., just because. I considered yellow because at a camp or deer lease it'd be easier to find if dropped. It also comes in pink, which a female police officer whith whom I work bought after she saw and liked mine!

MODS: I debated whether this ought to be in Gear or Campfire, but I noticed camping gear and tool type threads in Gear, so I figured knives are along the same lines and put it here.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Interesting that you went to a straight knife from a Swiss Army knife. The knife blade on my multitool gets used mostly for opening boxes, which I think would be very hard service for a real knife.

I can't live without all (ok, some) of the gadgets on a SA Knife or a multitool. I routinely use the screwdrivers, the bottle opener and even the corkscrew gets regular, if not frequent use.

I carried a SA knife for years, and then I thought I had lost it when I couldn't find it in my checked bag after a flight. So I bought a Leatherman Juice multitool. (Of course, I found the SA knife the next time I got the bag out for a trip.) The pliers have been useful any number of times, so I haven't gone back to the SA knife.

The Leatherman, with its colored anodized coating, doesn't stand up nearly as well as the Victorinox SA knife to getting jostled with my keys. It looks very battered at this point. Not that I care much, but some people would.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

rocketman
    Nothing as handy as good knife, I love the one I got out in Sedona last fall, very much like yours. only differance is the handle which was inlaid on one side with Rosewood and turquoise by a native craftsman. Goes very nicely with the inlaid wood and turquoise belt buckle I got from the same craftsman. A nice addition to my collection of pocket/camping/utility knives. Never leave home without at least one!

Very nice after xmas personal present. You obvious knew exactly what the reciever of said item really liked!

RM

First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I still use a Swiss Army pocket knife for every day uses.

I have a rather old (50+years) Case 3 blade pocket knife with carbon steel blades for a hunting knife. It holds a razor edge and has been great for skinning game, deer and hogs. No need for a rambo style or size knife for me.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.

Oh I don't know about that, perhaps it has more to do with the fact we just enjoy "cutting up" !

(sorry, just couldn't resist a really bad pun, blame my Dad, he was the worst (best) punster in town...)

RM

Bob T
    I've got a Benchmade....nice knife...

And oh...don't get me started...I have an addiction...

I buy several a year...and carry 2 or 3 every day...

I visit bladeforums.com regularly...

Always have at least one SA on me....plus a small folder, (lately a Case from the 70s) and some nice pocket clip knife...
    Today...a Lone Wolf Paul Presto knife like this...

My wife thinks I may have a problem...

One small case...

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    The blade is 2.91" which is legal in all 50 states (Texas' legal limit is 5 1/2", and quite a few states limit legal knives to 3 1/2" or 3").
    [/SIZE]
    I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days. Does the above quote mean that I would be in violation of American knife/weapon laws crossing into your country with it stored in my pannier or tank bag?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days.
    4 1/4" is way too close for attacking critters for me to the end of my hand...Bear Spray gets my vote!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    4 1/4" is way too close for attacking critters for me to the end of my hand...Bear Spray gets my vote!
    Boy howdy, yer right about that! Would NEVER consider a knife, or even a sword, as defense against a large animal!!! I'm not a fan of any spray either, having carried Mace back in the day, and having observed that defense sprays are NOT selective about who they disable during a fracas! If ya got the time and presence of mind to get it into play, nothing like a large caliber handgun to dissuade the beasts!!!!

rocketman
    I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days. Does the above quote mean that I would be in violation of American knife/weapon laws crossing into your country with it stored in my pannier or tank bag?
    I would think that as long as you don't carry it on your person around in town or while traveling it should not be a problem. Carrying it concealed might make it fall under general concealed weapons laws. Mostly switchblades and knifes with spring loaded blades that can be propelled seem to be ones controlled by fed laws of interstate travel. Around camp grounds I have carried a large Bowie knife with a blade of 7+ inches openly with no problem. when traveling, keep it in a side case etc and that should be OK. Also check with the boarder crossing regs. that may be the biggest hangup right there.

It seems that knife laws are mostly state/local issues and are somewhat fuzzy at best and vary widely from state to state and even county to county. Other than a pocket sized knife i would not carry one around town but for camping or fishing/hunting not so much worry.

Here is a link that talks about some basic issues.
    http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

RM

I'm most familiar with Texas law, but I suspect that, with regard to this subject, most states are similar. If you have a blade that is longer than the legal limit, then you should keep it in a manner that isn't quickly available to you. I wouldn't put it in my tank bag, but your pannier ought to be okay. I say that because, in Texas, if the blade is in the trunk of your car then you're certainly okay. If its on the floorboard of your backseat in a case or sheath then you're probably okay. But, if its on the front passenger seat you're likely to be in trouble.

Here's an example to make my point. I'm an assistant DA and I used to prosecute this kind of stuff. I once had a case where a chef was returning home from work around midnight. Chefs at fine restaurants, it seems, use their own cutlery. He transported his blades, including several long bladed carving knives, rolled in a leather wrap on the passenger's front seat. This particular night he was pulled over for some traffic violation. When the chef saw the officer's lights in his rearview mirror, he leaned over and put his knives on the floorboard. From behind the chef's car the police officer could see that he was doing this (the police call it a "furtive gesture"), and he had no idea what was going on. For all the officer knew it was cocaine, or a submachine gun, or a body part, or whatever. All he knows is that he's a big-city cop, its midnight, and the guy he's pulling over is trying to hide something in his car. So the officer is on high alert. When the officer got to the car the first thing he asked was why the guy leaned over to his front passenger seat. The chef, who was wearing his chef's clothing, pointed out the knives and told his story. The officer arrested him for the knives that were over 5 1/2" long. Now, this police officer obviously used no judgment at all. He should have said something like, "sir, in the future you might want to put those knives in your trunk," or something like that. In any event, after I confirmed with the restaurant that he was just going home from work, I got approval to dismiss the case.

Anyway, my point is that if you have a long bladed knife with you while on a motorcycle, then it ought to be in a place where you can't get at it. The pannier is probably fine.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Not a pocket knife per se. I have a lifelong friend and MOA member who is a knife maker. He recently presented this one to me as a gift. He calls it his "Cat Claw" design. Blade is made from old circle saw blade that was rusted and pitted. These blades were commonly used on farms to saw lumber and were 2 feet in diameter and larger. Becoming harder and harder to find as many ended up walls with pictures painted on them.

The scales are hedge, also known as Osage Orange, that I cut from an old fence post he had. Hedge is pretty hard, dense and rot proof and was used thru out the Midwest as fence posts.

Here is a trap spring knife he made, one of 8, that I presented to the BOD. It has the BMW MOA logo inserted into the handle.

For Christmas, Nancy gave me a display case to hold all of the knives that he has made.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.