Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011

This is our fourth year hosting this rolling rally. Last year we started marketing very late but this year we start the year off right by declaring that:

Salty Fog Riders Rally
    September 5-9, 2011
    - Base Camp: Larry's River, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia
    (one night free camping plus lots of food upon arrival, supper and breakfast - $35)
    - A 400 mile tour in Guysborough Co. and around Cape Breton Island (Cabot Trail counter-clockwise)
    - Three camp nights at $10 per person (Group Rate) (about $30 if not with group) (Louisbourg, Baddeck and Meat Cove)
    - One (possibly two) Cable Ferries at $1.00 each (Group Rate) ($5.00 if not with group)
    - Option to join up or depart during any point in the ride.
    - Tour of Coal Mine (optional; museum/tour cost) (looking into group rate)
    - Live musical theater in Louisbourg (about $15; optional) (no group rate....yet)
    - Fortress Louisbourg tour (optional) (no group rate)
    - Rita's Tea House for lunch (tea cups only; no mugs)
    - All 'on road' foods are individual; we try to identify cost effective/interesting options

We are exploring various other visit options and will post as we identify them. Excluding the options list, costs will be pre-paid this year and, including Larry's River (food and camp) and three following nights camping will be $65 per person. Note that as we get into this year's negotiations some costing may change ie camping but we will post immediately.

We will be following up with much more information in the coming months! In the meantime, the following links will be give a bit of background on what to expect. We are also looking at T shirts for this one but no promises yet (not happy with local options).

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ight=salty+fog

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...alty+fog+rally

- Bob and Mary
    Last edited by tourunigo; 01-19-2011 at 01:59 AM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Guysborough County, Nova Scotia

Looks like a great time! I tried to Google Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, selected maps and was quite surprised at what I found.

Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    Looks like a great time! I tried to Google Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, selected maps and was quite surprised at what I found.
    uh..... and what was that? Lots of good stuff that's been underrepresented for a few years. We start off with an Acadian focus and then shift over to other settling cultures over in Cape Breton. Anyway, hope you found some interesting stuff on your Google Quest. Come and you will have a good time! - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

This sounds like a great way to mark Nova Scotia off "the list". What kind of weather do you typically have there in September?
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    This sounds like a great way to mark Nova Scotia off "the list".
    Naw, unless you're spending a month or two, you won't have enough time. It's not a place for drive-by touring.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

This sounds like a great way to mark Nova Scotia off "the list". What kind of weather do you typically have there in September?
    we like early September because the weather is more predictable and the bugs tend to show a bit more mercy at that time. Also, being just after Labor Day helps diminish some of the tourist traffic. We also like to run the five days between the weekends. As a 'rolling rally' we don't stay still but do try and give you a flavor of the areas through theater, museum, food, sites, camping locations and ever changing scenary. We have been fortunate to have a number of repeat attendees (aka Alumni). Our food in Larry's River seems to go over well !

Although I am currently trying to get a basket full of writing done, I hope to get the trip report of last year's SFRR posted with infor regarding this year's venue.

- Bob (optional email: saltyfogriders@gmail.com)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

I just saw Tom's remarks. Salty Fog only covers Guysborough County and then across the causeway to Cape Breton Island. The rest of the Province requires at least another week just to ride around. Following our coast itself will keep you here for a lot longer but what a trip! And the folks you would meet are unarmed and very friendly/hospitable. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

On the calendar. I hope this will be the year I finally make it!

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    On the calendar. I hope this will be the year I finally make it!

Holly
    a good time fer sure! - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Time to get the maps out!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Time to get the maps out!
    Mike, if you need any local info around the maps and travel times please either post here, PM or use saltyfogriders@gmail.com ...... I'll answer to them all. If you are in Penn in July we will also be able to speak more extensively about options and such. Glad that you are a) interested in Nova Scotia and b) that you are interested in the Salty Fog Riders Rally. (of course that goes for anyone else interested!) - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

feldis
    The rally is outstanding, the tour is spectacular, I have been two years in a row the second trip with my wife and lastly the hosts and food at Larry's River are great!

Quote Originally Posted by feldis View Post
    The rally is outstanding, the tour is spectacular, I have been two years in a row the second trip with my wife and lastly the hosts and food at Larry's River are great!
    thanks. We try to give participants a taste of Nova Scotia. Sometimes this leads to them coming back either with us again or venturing back at some other point on their own. Now, if we could only have 100% control of the weather. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    thanks. We try to give participants a taste of Nova Scotia. Sometimes this leads to them coming back either with us again or venturing back at some other point on their own. Now, if we could only have 100% control of the weather. - Bob
    Wait just one minute. Do you mean that the weather will not be as perfect as it was during the Salty Fog Rally of 2009? I expect a guarantee on the weather if I'm coming for the 2011.

I guess one day I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. Rode there in 2006; perfect weather. Visited Halifax in August of 2009; perfect weather; 2009 September Salty Fog; perfect weather. Are you telling me that this isn't always paradise?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Wait just one minute. Do you mean that the weather will not be as perfect as it was during the Salty Fog Rally of 2009? I expect a guarantee on the weather if I'm coming for the 2011.

I guess one day I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. Rode there in 2006; perfect weather. Visited Halifax in August of 2009; perfect weather; 2009 September Salty Fog; perfect weather. Are you telling me that this isn't always paradise?
    now that's funny Paul. 2010 had a few weather challenges ie the bridge over to Meat Cove got washed out on the first day of the rally and we had to improvise a bit. The folks that stayed through it all were outstanding, very outstanding. So this year Paul..... sunshine and a very gentle wind and stunning views will prevail. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com