Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: bike lifts?

dstuckmann
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    So how many of you mechanics have a bike lift like this one featured on You Tube? It looks as moving your bike around on the lift to be a breeze. Seems that you wouldn't need to ever use your centre stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_JJ...eature=related
    Some real thought went in to that one. It is really cool, but for $4937.80 (plus international shipping) it better be! Ouch!

http://www.accessorimotostore.com/in...d73a7784b44ec5

Quote Originally Posted by dstuckmann View Post
    I can see that is quite stable. Can that slide back grab the wheel after you center stand it or don't you use the center stand? If not, to me its got the same problem as a chock - no center stand ability.
    If I roll the bike all the way to the stop and then centerstand it, the wheel is in approximately the same position as the tire is shown in that picture. My F650 Dakar has a long enough centerstand that it swings the bike a bit further back.

When I need to slide the whole thing forward to optimize the placement of the wheel in the vice I simply hook a tie down strap to each center stand leg and standing at the front of the lift pull the bike forward an inch or two.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I was ask to post some pics of the sunken bike lift. Here are a few of before during and after.

Very nice installation 4NBike
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

RK Ryder
    Thank you for sharing these photos. I am so tempted to do the same when I get my lift.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Very nice job on the sunken lift

The one draw back beside cost and difficulty to construct is the lift will now lose approximately 6 inches of maximum lift due to it's lower starting position. In my experience I use all the lift my Handy Lift provides and sometimes wish for more.

I do like the easier loading and unloading on the lift with the sunken design.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

The one draw back beside cost and difficulty to construct is the lift will now lose approximately 6 inches of maximum lift due to its lower starting position. In my experience I use all the lift my Handy Lift provides and sometimes wish for more.
    If you are inclined to tackle the job your self the cost is not all that bad, rental for a concrete cutter, lumber to build the form and of course the concrete . An estimate to have mine done by a contractor was 3 days and $800.00.

Handy makes a number of lifts that when fully raised reach 35 inches one I think goes to 40". I think the HF lifts limits are 29 inches.

It is a messy labor intensive job, clean up takes as much time as the work itself, at the end of the day it all depends on how bad you want one in this configuration. I have never regretted the decision.

Earache
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Very nice job on the sunken lift

The one draw back beside cost and difficulty to construct is the lift will now lose approximately 6 inches of maximum lift due to it's lower starting position. In my experience I use all the lift my Handy Lift provides and sometimes wish for more.

I do like the easier loading and unloading on the lift with the sunken design.
    K&L make a lift that goes up to around 50" high. I saw it at the Indy Dealer Show a couple of years ago.
    Very robustly made - like the Handy - and had a buttload of options that you could add to it.

As I remember, it wasn't cheap though. Somewhere around $2,000.

The one draw back beside cost and difficulty to construct is the lift will now lose approximately 6 inches of maximum lift due to it's lower starting position.
    Ah, but then we do not know the "altitude" of the OP... do we? Nice project 4N.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

bike lifts

All things said and done, the Handy lift is really one fine lift. However, for the weekend mechanic and one that enjoys working on the bike, the Harbor Freight models work very well and are much cheaper than the Handy lift. They do the same job. I made wings out of 2x6 framing and put 3/8 plywood over that. I use this set up on each side of the HF stand and it works great. I also use good quality tiedowns and the bike is well supported. Final word from me is that the HF lift does a very good job with no regrets from me. My knees really appreciate the lift.

That bike lift from Italy is fantastic, as well as its' price!
    HF is prolly my speed too.
    another company not mentioned for a bike jack is J&S jacks

http://www.jsjacks.com/index.php/pro...torcycle-lifts

Also a question: Is a table lift the only safe/least damage way to lift an RT? I ask since the RT doesn't have a solid frame and best lift point seem to be where the cat is.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

Quote Originally Posted by 4NBike View Post
    I was ask to post some pics of the sunken bike lift. Here are a few of before during and after.

That hole could come in handy when U sell your house to someone with cats.It will take a lot of cat litter though
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

Under $300 ??

How can we get a Harbor Freight lift for under $300 these days?
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

Quote Originally Posted by mikegates View Post
    How can we get a Harbor Freight lift for under $300 these days?
    In store pick up and watch for the specials they run several times a year...Have purchased two that way as has my neighbor...a buddy "stored" a third one at my place ...they all get used! No complaints, the first one is about 6 years old
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Don't know what "Handy Lifts" are going for these days, but they are really quality equipment. 10 or so years ago, I used to travel from KC to Marshaltown Iowa and pick up 13-14 lifts for Letko Cycles. Toured the plant, met the workers and was impressed with the quality. Still have one --and at my age it is so much easier to work on my bikes at eye level than to have to "get on the ground".
    They weigh about 350#--I know because we had to unload them.
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    1988 Honda Hawk GT
    2009 KLR 685
    1981 Honda Trail 110