Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bike lifts?

Any advice on which Handy lift to look at... accessories?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

dstuckmann
    Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    Aside from all of the cheap crap made off shore, last year we got an ad that was all over the honoring vets bandwagon. When asked what they were doing to honor/recognize vets (SWMBO is a retired 1SG), the answer was "well, (cough) nothing".

Lame.
    I guess we should sell the BMWs get a Harley or Victory if someone is that worried about made in America. I'm sure that would probably create/keep more jobs (and keep cash in America) than the purchase of a Handi Lift (or BMW)!

Now before people get excited, I like to buy American when I can, but there are many instances where it does not make financial sense to me when there is a large discrepancy in cost. Adding up the costs of all the tools and toys I would like to maintain the bike could cost more than the price I paid for the bike!

FYI - I like my HF lift as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Any advice on which Handy lift to look at... accessories?
    I'm not up on their current models. But, mine is the basic air lift, with 8" side extensions, and of course the wheel vice. The extensions mean I can ride on and back off astride the bike with a place to put my feet down. The wheel vice is essential.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

4. 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    This is a real back saver! I'm doing winter stuff like Quick disconects,cam covers, canisterectomy,alternator belt, cleaning and general putzing around
    ...and it lifts heavy beer.

I bought a "Viking Lift".. it looks like a Handy Lift.. I can't find the guy who built them anymore.. but still looking.

Anyway.. flawless.. with "extensions" it was only $600.. an air lift.

Thumbs up

Hi Brewmeister, what is that front wheel lock attachment on your lift? Was it part of the original lift, or did you add it? At any rate, good looking rig.

Mine appears to be, or at least closely resembles, a HF lift. It's got the front wheel catcher with a crank on the side to secure it. Problem is, if you ever want to put it on the centerstand and lock that front wheel with this clamping device, the bike rolls back about six inches when you put it on the cenerstand which moves the front wheel away from the clamp (and on my bike it puts too much weight to the back of the lift). I should probably come up with a better idea than this, but I found that putting trash bags under the lift where the centerstand pads will touch, then extending the centerstand onto the trash bags allows you to push the bike forward and it will slide back into place with the centerstand deployed. A strap attached to the front wheel and the centerstand, as shown here, prevents centerstand retraction when you push the bike forward. Once you're ready to take the bike off the lift, slide the bike back 6 inches, remove the strap, then push forward off the centerstand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2004 R1150RS, forming a search committee to add another.

8. 01-13-2011, 02:16 AM

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'm not up on their current models. But, mine is the basic air lift, with 8" side extensions, and of course the wheel vice. The extensions mean I can ride on and back off astride the bike with a place to put my feet down. The wheel vice is essential.
    Paul, your lift has the wheel vise and the brewmeister's picture shows a wheel chock. Does either have an advantage over the other for performing certain jobs on the bike?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Paul, your lift has the wheel vise and the brewmeister's picture shows a wheel chock. Does either have an advantage over the other for performing certain jobs on the bike?
    I don't know. I had grasping wheel chocks in a trailer - they said no tie downs were needed. Of course I didn't believe that for a minute. I actually use one of them at times when working on a bike on the floor.

On my lift I find no need for tie downs for stability in most situations, especially if on the center stand. The vice grips tightly. If I have the bike jacked off the centerstand as when removing a transmission on a K bike I use tie downs as a precaution.

I can't speak to other chocks - mine took a hefty tug to move the bike back out of the grasping chock. With a vice, loosen and roll back.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

dstuckmann
    I use the vise on my HF, but all my bikes have center stands (which I always use on the lift) so the vise works fine for me. I have the vise and the front stop set apart as far as they go and it works fine for me. You could always drill holes and remount the vise to account for the roll back from using the center stand if you wanted.

I aways use tie downs as well. Depending on the job, you could be tugging on something more than you want. Not to mention that steel-on-steel is slippery. I slid one of my bikes (center stand and no tie downs) while fighting with an exhaust system removal. That got my attention real quick, so now its tie downs for every task!

For front end work, I just use an old screw jack under the engine to raise the front.

Quote Originally Posted by dstuckmann View Post
    I use the vise on my HF, but all my bikes have center stands (which I always use on the lift) so the vise works fine for me. I have the vise and the front stop set apart as far as they go and it works fine for me. You could always drill holes and remount the vise to account for the roll back from using the center stand if you wanted.

I aways use tie downs as well. Depending on the job, you could be tugging on something more than you want. Not to mention that steel-on-steel is slippery. I slid one of my bikes (center stand and no tie downs) while fighting with an exhaust system removal. That got my attention real quick, so now its tie downs for every task!

For front end work, I just use an old screw jack under the engine to raise the front.
    There is a HUGE difference between the vice shown on the HF lift in Post #26 and the one on my Handy Airlift. The one shown has a small horizontal clamp. The one on my Handy lift is somewhat L shaped and it clamps the bottom and the front of the tire. It actually extends above the axle, and grips a full third of the tire. This makes a significant difference in stability. My earlier comments about tie downs related to the Handy lift vice - not at all to what I see in the above photo of the HF lift. If my vice was like that vice I'd use tie downs all the time too.

Here is a picture of the Handy lift vice. Pardon the lack of a wheel. I just ran out and put the tire there to provide size perspective.

Has anyone used a lift by K&L Supply? The videos on this site show some rather slick accessories for their lifts. I don't see any pricing information but I'm guessing they aren't cheap:

http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUI...5RAIRLIFT.aspx
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

RK Ryder
    So how many of you mechanics have a bike lift like this one featured on You Tube? It looks as moving your bike around on the lift to be a breeze. Seems that you wouldn't need to ever use your centre stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_JJ...eature=related
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    With a few exceptions, the postings are all about Harbor Freight lifts. I'm also interested in what is available and searched "lifts" last week. Not of much help as I don't buy from HF.
    I just bought a lift from HFT a couple of weeks ago. But I have not yet used it on my BMW. It cost less than a hundred bucks and is good for 1,500 lbs.

I am a big spender at HFT and for me, most of their stuff works fine. Just because it's all made in China doesn't mean it's all junk.

I have this one.

Notice they have a BMW shown up on their lift.

But perhaps you will prefer this one.

So far, I have only used mine on my Suzuki DR200SE:

-Don- SSF, CA

dstuckmann
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ...The one on my Handy lift is somewhat L shaped and it clamps the bottom and the front of the tire. It actually extends above the axle, and grips a full third of the tire...
    I can see that is quite stable. Can that slide back grab the wheel after you center stand it or don't you use the center stand? If not, to me its got the same problem as a chock - no center stand ability.

Having the rear wheel lifted is a real plus for most of the work that I do on my bikes. The center stand does that task securely and automatically, without the need of secondary lifting devices.

Both wheels can be down if you are just changing the oil or brake pads, but with most other tasks you want the rear lifted somehow.

- Rear tires get generally replaced more often than fronts
    - Changing final drive fluid
    - Bumping the engine to set valves

So why not use the center stand if you have one?

For me, the inexpensive HF (less than $300 on sale) with its generic vise works perfectly. I used the money I saved to get a GS-911.

Is it the best? Of course not. If you work on lots of bikes, an air lift is a plus, but for the few times a year I use a lift, taking 2 minutes to raise it is no big deal.

Bottom line is that you need to look at YOUR needs and go from there.

So how many of you mechanics have a bike lift like this one featured on You Tube? It looks as moving your bike around on the lift to be a breeze. Seems that you wouldn't need to ever use your centre stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_JJ...eature=related
    Wow! I like that!