Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bike lifts?

bike lifts?

What kind of bike lift do you have? Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by radiofun1 View Post
    I had two of the Craftsman motorcycle jack things -- a standard one, and a low-profile one that I used for a cruiser I used to have. Both are useless with the RT, and now I'm considering getting one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I'm interested in hearing comments on them.

Quote Originally Posted by radiofun1 View Post
    If you get a minute try the Search Forum box on the upper right hand part of the page and enter the word Lifts-there is quite a bit of info. This is a good thread http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ighlight=lifts HTH, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

With a few exceptions, the postings are all about Harbor Freight lifts. I'm also interested in what is available and searched "lifts" last week. Not of much help as I don't buy from HF.

Why don't you like HF? I know some stuff is pure junk, but I can tell you the lifts are great. Mine was around $250 and gets a lot of hard use.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I've had mine for about a year now. Thing gets a work out. I store one of my bike on it. It gets a lot of up & down action because my bikes are stored in my woodshop. Each time I need to do woodworking, I pull all the bikes out. That means I drop the lift, pull the bike off, then roll the lift out to the driveway. Then at end of day, it all goes back in the shop.

Only drawback to it is that it takes 55 foot pumps to raise the deck to its highest setting. HF also makes a thing to roll the bike's front tyre into to hold the bike up. I don't use the vice-like gadget that came with the lift. I took it off and put this other thing on. Once bike is on lift, it stands on its own without a kickstand. Then use a couple of tie-downs to secure the bike before lifting it.

I would highly recommend the lift to non-proffessional users. I'm sure a motorcycle shop would need a better unit. For all the rest of us though. this HF lift should be great.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Handy Air Lift

Made in Marshalltown, Iowa

Great lift. Decent price for a lifetime piece of equipment. I use mine all the time. If lighting struck and melted it I would order another one tomorrow.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Why don't you like HF? I know some stuff is pure junk, but I can tell you the lifts are great. Mine was around $250 and gets a lot of hard use.
    Aside from all of the cheap crap made off shore, last year we got an ad that was all over the honoring vets bandwagon. When asked what they were doing to honor/recognize vets (SWMBO is a retired 1SG), the answer was "well, (cough) nothing".

Lame.

Earache
    I also have a Handy lift. It's been a great lift for the 8 years I've had it. Rock solid even with a heavy tour bike on it.

I had heard that they were going out of business - dunno if it actually happened or not.

edit: they'll be at the Dealer Expo in Indy next month so they must still be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    Aside from all of the cheap crap made off shore, last year we got an ad that was all over the honoring vets bandwagon. When asked what they were doing to honor/recognize vets (SWMBO is a retired 1SG), the answer was "well, (cough) nothing".

Lame.
    Yeah, I understand. They do have a lot of cheap crap. This lift is not, but I understand. I don't rent from Blockbuster for similar reasons (I don't like the executive management). And I can't argue with buying American. I used to try to do that all the time and finally gave up.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

lifts

I have the HF and it works great. it actually makes working/waxing the bike a real joy. Watch for coupons and it is greatly reduced. I think my was about $250.00. Foot pump model. Mine does not take 55 pumps. It takes alot fewer than that..

Quote Originally Posted by Earache View Post
    I also have a Handy lift. It's been a great lift for the 8 years I've had it. Rock solid even with a heavy tour bike on it.

I had heard that they were going out of business - dunno if it actually happened or not.

edit: they'll be at the Dealer Expo in Indy next month so they must still be in business.
    Handy was bought buy another company and is still making lifts. The quality looks the same. I love mine.

I bought the Handy and sunk it to floor level in the garage, love the thing very good quality material and workmanship. Of course you get what you pay for and they are not cheap.

I bought my Handy Air Lift from a dealership that went under. It's a joy to use and I'll never wear it out.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I bought my Handy Lift in 2001 and have used it continuously for the past 10 years. Between my motorcycle and quad and friends motorcycles it has had quite a work out with no issues at all. It is easily moved around the shop after use so a car can be parked where I normally lift the bikes. I would buy again. Between this lift and the NoMar tire changer I have fun in the shop. This equipment has paid for itself over and over.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing