Thread: cross country trip; NJ to WY

cross country trip; NJ to WY

hi all:

I am planning a trip from NJ top WY. Once in MO i pland to start retracing the Oregon trail as much as possible off road on a 2005 1200GS. I need advice on route planning on my PC to then dowload my routes and waypoints on a GPS unit (dont have one yet but leaning towards Garmin Zumoo 665 or 660). Any advice? Anyone familiar with the oregon trail?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stellario View Post
    hi all:

I am planning a trip from NJ top WY. Once in MO i pland to start retracing the Oregon trail as much as possible off road on a 2005 1200GS. I need advice on route planning on my PC to then dowload my routes and waypoints on a GPS unit (dont have one yet but leaning towards Garmin Zumoo 665 or 660). Any advice? Anyone familiar with the oregon trail?

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum Stellario. Sometimes a trip like this does a little better in ride reports but as you are looking to do as much as possible off road hopefully some of the members can help you out. As for the GPS and related, the membership has been accumulating a large bank of info here http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50080 . Hopefully some of the info in that thread will help. Any questions just ask. Good luck, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program