Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean your riding gear?

Cool How do you clean your riding gear?

Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by wcycle View Post
    Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!
    I suspect there is a washing instructions tag somewhere in the garment. I know there is in my Aerostich stuff.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!

Getting lost...
    We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.
    2007 R1200RT
    1999 R1100RA

GIZMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerk View Post
    We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.
    I too use Woolite and wash in the handwash/delicate cycle, air/fluff dry and then hang it up to thoroughly dry.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    There is a line of products called Nikwax that are made for washing and caring for for gore-tex and waterproof clothing.

I have used the Nikwax product for a number of years on my Aerostich suits. It works well. Every other year I use Revivex to refresh the Gore tex. Do not expect anything to remove the road splooge that darkens the lighter color material. My Hi-Vix Darien jacket is permanently dulled. Even Aerostich says it is impossible to restore the original color.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I use the Nikwax stuff, available at your local REI store.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I picked up a bottle of Granger's G Wash Spray Cleaner at my local outfitter, and I use it with a nail brush to scrub the bugs off my suit.

Also, some washing machines have a hand wash setting.
    Last edited by rinty; 01-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Thanks for all the great options. I think I'll try the Woolite and maybe some spot removers and see if I can get it somewhat clean.

For the waxed cotton (Barbour) or the Olympia riding suit I like to soak them for an hour in more than warm but not scalding water using Woolite or Nixwax. After some soaking it's out on the lawn and a rinse inside and out with the hose. Air dry with reasonably constant attention on the line on a sunny day-good to go. Gary BTW 126149, welcome to the forum!
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Motorcycle Muffin
    Clean it?? No! Leave it alone! It's street cred!!
    '01 Black R11S "Rosie"
    '04 Titan Grey Mandarin R11S "Erica"
    '08 KLR "Bruce"
    '91 VFR750 "Penny"

Quote Originally Posted by motomuffin View Post
    Clean it?? No! Leave it alone! It's street cred!!
    +1

I also ride in the rain every now and then.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    crud = cred

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Clean it. We're supposed to clean it?

I have a Rally 2 Pro suit that I've washed the pants once, and a Darien Jacket also washed once. Both times I used Nikwax products, which did a fair to average job cleaning. The pants required a second wash to get clean--I wasn't too happy with this.

Any way, that's my $0.02.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer