Thread: How do you clean your riding gear?

Hybrid View

Cool How do you clean your riding gear?

Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by wcycle View Post
    Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!
    I suspect there is a washing instructions tag somewhere in the garment. I know there is in my Aerostich stuff.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!

Getting lost...
    We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.

GIZMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerk View Post
    We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.
    I too use Woolite and wash in the handwash/delicate cycle, air/fluff dry and then hang it up to thoroughly dry.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    There is a line of products called Nikwax that are made for washing and caring for for gore-tex and waterproof clothing.

Rally Rat
    I have used the Nikwax product for a number of years on my Aerostich suits. It works well. Every other year I use Revivex to refresh the Gore tex. Do not expect anything to remove the road splooge that darkens the lighter color material. My Hi-Vix Darien jacket is permanently dulled. Even Aerostich says it is impossible to restore the original color.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I use the Nikwax stuff, available at your local REI store.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)