Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet audio blows!

J&m

Just got off the phone w/ Charlie from J&M (he rides a '96 RT!) and he's happy to give me full refund on the Nolan. I'll take a trip to 'WIng Stuff' in Orange County and demo the Arai helmets which he believes are better suited for their 629 series headset. Also going to try using foamies in combo w/ helmet headset it just makes sense.

I have a Zuno 665 XM, MP3 equipped, also paired to a blackberry storm.

I ride with a Shoei RF-1100 with J & M HS-Blu277edr-FF their premium Blutooth Stereo speakers (deeper/thicker speaker drivers) and in helmet mic (not a boom)

I also use earplugs: Earsoft- Grippers

the J & M sound is outstanding. Absolutley no complaints. All I can say is good stuff about the J & M speakers. They are that good!

I played music professioanlly most of my life (Trumpet player) and have 2 extremely good (and expensive) sound systems at home. I still play and prractice daily and have spent a bit of time in professional recording studios.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Atomicman, what horn(s) are you playing on?

Owner of Sport Tour Shop MATTWALSTON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    Sena system. Almost audiophile sound quality - and I wear regular earplugs to cancel the wind/road noise.
    Hearing is subjective and people have diffrent definitions of "audiophile".

Start with good custom ear buds.

Throw J&M stuff away.

Plug the ear buds straight into your iPod. World of diffrence.

If you want multiple devices, use an Autocom it sounds almost as good as the source audio. A little tinny on the highs, but remember you loose the high end of your hearing with age so your mileage will very.
    Matt Walston
    (888) 685-9269
    http://www.sporttourshop.com/
    Free shipping on ALL ORDERS! Authorized Autocom Dealer.

5. 10-05-2011, 12:58 AM

6. 10-05-2011, 01:45 AM

With SWMBO riding pillion, I think it's safer at times to have audio with her. In traffic or trying to find an address, it's nice to have a second pair of eyes doing the looking so I can focus on the driving. When the road turns boring, it's nice to have the occasional conversation. She's ridden herself and understands when I tell her that I need to focus on the road.

Oh, and we've been pleased with the sound quality of our Senas. Then again, I don't expect the same quality as my home stereo. Different conditions and at this point I don't feel the need to dump big bucks into the kind of earbuds that would make a difference.

Seeking Mental Floss
    I agree, you'll never get audiophile quality sound in a motorcycle helmet at speed. Having said that, the Honda in-helmet speakers for my Wing, in my Shoei RF1000, do quite well. I have XM and iPod capability, plus intercom and Nav. I find it improves my alertness and focus, and reduces fatigue. My wife and I have some wonderful conversations while traveling on the bike. FWIW, while in helmet speakers are apparently legal in all states, earphones are not. Just sayin'.........
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!