Thread: air mattresses

Escanaba, Michigan - Michigan's Upper Peninsula

air mattresses

I have the luxury cot and the go- kot but thinks me might like a large air mattress that would be good for wife and I. She has decided to do the camping scene with me and I want to make it as comfortable as possible. I'm looking for a large inflatible good quality mattress. Any recommendations? Tent we have is a REI Taj 3.
    Last edited by Bandman; 01-08-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: incomplete post

Go for the Big Agnes system. Insulated air matress pad and a sleeping bag combination. They have various sizes and temp ranges. I have used my system for at least 5 years and will never go back to a Thermarest.

Agreed!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I have a Big Agnes for my solo trips, when my wife joins me with her bike, we use a Coleman queen size air mattress. I use a rechargeable pump for inflating both.

We switched from Thermarests a few years ago after my wife suffered a neck and shoulder injury. I found it so much more comfortable too, I got the smaller sized Big Agnes for my solo adventures since it packs super small. Space is less of a concern when you have two bikes with luggage. Still, the queen air matress rolled up is smaller than a pair of Thermarests anyway.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I have a Big Agnes for my solo trips, when my wife joins me with her bike, we use a Coleman queen size air mattress. I use a rechargeable pump for inflating both.

We switched from Thermarests a few years ago after my wife suffered a neck and shoulder injury. I found it so much more comfortable too, I got the smaller sized Big Agnes for my solo adventures since it packs super small. Space is less of a concern when you have two bikes with luggage. Still, the queen air matress rolled up is smaller than a pair of Thermarests anyway.
    When I first got it I loved my Thermarest. After a few years I was absolutely ready to quit camping after too many sleep-little nights tossing and turning and aching. Voni got me a Big Agnes internally insulated air mattress. I love it. We didn't quit camping. Now we mostly camp while on the bikes, on the road, April-September.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I tried the Big Agnes, and while it was fantastic when I was on my back, I tend to toss around a bit and usually end up on my side. So I tried the Exped 7 DLX insulated inflatable and it works really well for me. I think the two products are equal, but each is suited to different sleepers.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

A great set up

I'm using the Luxurylite Ultralight Cot and the Thermarest large NeoAir mattress and it is more comfortable than sleeping at home. Happy hunting. Don

Escanaba, Michigan - Michigan's Upper Peninsula

mattress

Thanks, Don and others for the response. Don, did your round legs fold under after about an hour on the ultralite? I had one of the first ones, and they replaced the grey legs with the much black ones. I do love the kot but for ease of set up, I use the go-kot. Goes up quickly but it just weighs a little more and takes a little more room. I also put it UNDER the tent floor between the tent foot and the actually floor. It is better on the floor and stays put. No problems. A little trick I learned from this forum.

Not Yet...

I have the black circular legs on mine, haven't had a problem with them yet.
    Don