Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What about camping food?

Gluten free restaurant cards

I carry these gf cards with me all the time. They are extremely useful in explaining that this isn't just a whim of mine but something with serious health consequences. I have them in several languages, which is a huge help when I'm traveling overseas and don't understand the local language.

I tend to pick up salads and such at the local deli counter and avoid freeze dried meals because so few are gf and they all have too much salt. Besides, I love cheese which ups the salt content quite a bit. Small cans of salmon or tuna can compliment a plain salad beautifully and there is no need for cooking.

I always have lots of gf bars in the tank bag for snacking. My latest fave is the KIND fruit and nut bar.
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

There is a lot of similarities between m/c camping and boat camping. We have an AeroPress coffee press. Works well, easy to clean, quick, good IMO. We use alcohol on the boat for fuel. Lots of small packages of mayo, catchup, pickle relish make great one dish meals when mixed with canned tuna, chicken etc. Also cheese and crackers work well anywhere. Breakfast only needs boiling water for oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. For a kick, add a little Irish cream! Then the ever popular Tang and a pop tart!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

My $01 ...

Great thread!

This outfit: www.minimus.biz - sells ÔÇ£individualÔÇØ / ÔÇ£travel-sizedÔÇØ sized items ÔÇô food & other stuff. A $20 order gets free shipping. I camp with the Boy Scouts, and on the bike, and some of this stuff comes in very handy. (for the record I have no affiliation with the company )

I've started using some of the meat in "pouches" as it packs better than the cans and there is less volume to pack out. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Starkist-Creat.../dp/B000CQZXRW

I cook when I'm on my GS out in the backcountry where the availability of stores and restaraunts is limited or non existant.

I keep the grocery selection to a minimum with nothing fresh or perishable. I typicaly will just have some variety of hot ceral for breakfast, Red River or Sunny Boy are favourites, Oatmeal is also good. I just buy a standard package of these, then portion out daily servings into Ziploc bags. A glass of Tang and a cup of coffee round out the menu. I have a small collapsable coffee filter basket that fits on a mug to make my brew, no instant coffee ever

Lunches are usually just some trail mix and jerky carried in my Camelback for easy access.

Suppers consist of either some variety of canned meat or if its a good day, perhaps a fresh caught trout. I supplement that with either instant mashed potatoes or minute rice and some dehydrated veggies. These are also pre-portioned into Ziploc bags from the standard packaging.I sometimes will make a simple gumbo/stew with a dried soup base and add the rice and meat and veggies into that.

The only additional ingrediant for making any of this is clean water. I carry a 3L hydration pack and try to keep it topped up. I do also carry a water filter pump to refil from whatever source is at hand, so clean potable water from a tap is not a neccessity for replenishing my supply.

Of course no evening meal would be complete without a wee dram to cap it off. A small flask full of single malt scotch is carried for that need.

I use a Primus LPG stove for all my cooking. Its very much like the JetBoil stove.

When I'm travelling closer to civilization or touring with my wife along, restaraunts for a good breakfast and supper are the preference. We usually skip lunches having just a granola bar or something of that sort to hold us over.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Nice info here.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

watch out, wallet...

check out this awesome camping/cooking gear! GSI Outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    check out this awesome camping/cooking gear! GSI Outdoors.
    Looks good and packs small, but too much plastic for me. I have a nasty habit of getting plastic too close to heat. I don't think the complete set would last me a season.

as mentioned in my column, i am currently testing a set of those fold-up/snap-together plate, bowl, cup vs. something very similar to the GSI stuff mentioned above. the fold-up stuff is amazingly compact and easy to clean.

the pain of leaving Uncle Bob's WWII-issue mess kit is killing me, but it's just too heavy for the lighter kit i'm seeking.

I have the Orikaso stuff. Easy to fold up, easy to stow, and cleans with a little tongue effort. No more hard sided plates or bowls for me. OTOH, I still carry an insulated mug.

grab one of these http://www.ezgrill.com/Grilling-Prod...ginal-EZ-Grill a steak from local store and a can of mushrooms,can of aspergras six pack of local brew and good to go.
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    as mentioned in my column, i am currently testing a set of those fold-up/snap-together plate, bowl, cup vs. something very similar to the GSI stuff mentioned above. the fold-up stuff is amazingly compact and easy to clean.

the pain of leaving Uncle Bob's WWII-issue mess kit is killing me, but it's just too heavy for the lighter kit i'm seeking.

Thanks!
    I'm not fond of the oragami skills needed for the other stuff ...
    Fozzils with snaps look like what I need

So you can get 4 easy grills for $26 .
    R1150 GS R100 RS XT 500 CL-72

cinghiale

Camping stuff

I purchased a Jetboil when they first came out and love the thing. I use all Jetboil stuff, except coffee maker, pain in the butt to clean (coffee) anyway Bombay foods (I think) meal in a bag just heat with the Jetboil water, then use the hot water to wash up, clean etc. Alaska in 2010, 18 days on the road, camped 15 and cooked with the Jet. Was great, little clean up and no gas spill ever.
    Disadvantage, not all store's carry Jet fuel. So I stock up on cans. Both for the home disaster kit and motorcycling.