Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What if your SO doesn't share your passion?

Quanto12
    I appolagise for going off track here guys!

For me the girlfriend thinks I spend too much time on or talking about the bike! So I go biking even more!!! She likes being on the bike but not her favorite thing to do.This summer,I'm doing my first long trip, and she's coming with me.This will tell us how much she does like it! Hope it never gets to the point that I have to choose between her or the bike, I might miss her!!!

Art.

Step one was to buy Diann a bike, a 1983 Honda XL600R.

Step two was paying for a rider training course.

We have been riding together since, or on separate trips.

We both enjoy riding alone, or meeting other people at the end of the day.

We also have other hobbies which are shared, and some which aren't.

I have to admit that I cannot imagine sharing riding, as it's such a large part of me.

As someone else said, the trick is to be passionate about something...........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

I've read a lot of posts from men about their S.O. But I'm curious to see how many women had an ex like mine where he hated the fact that I rode. Of course I would love to see how many women have great spouse - like Sara's - who say go ahead and go.

I Keep finding non riders in the dating pool so I'm keeping my feet dry for the summer.

Sharon

The Pretty Wife

Okay. I arrived home from work last night, tired and stressed form the rat race! Pretty Wife was busy packing a picnic dinner. Her plan was for us to take a ride through the spring countryside and end up at a local State Park for dinner. Great idea and much needed escape for my soul.

I strapped the soft-side cooler onto the rack of my 2005 R1200GS and she threw her leg over her 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone. Off we went. I asked her to lead, which is a bit unusual, as she would prefer I do the heavy lifting; route planning, etc.

She afterwards expressed a new appreciation of my being in the lead... a couple of missed turns and I was asked to lead us back on the route to the State Park. All in good fun, even the missed turns.

I asked her to lead because it was her idea and I found out that when she rides alone, she has trouble keeping the "Dragonfly" under the posted limit... this old man has obviously been holding her back.

So it was a rather spirited run on some beautiful country roads. The whole experience was a great delight for me. I’ve watched this lady go from MSF BRC to competent rider over the past year. It tickled me to see her out in front and riding with such ease and grace. Don’t get me wrong, she has led our little two-bike group before. However, the combination of a surprise picnic dinner, a nice ride after work, and observing her mastery of this sport will stay in my memory for a long time.

Len
    Last edited by lenrt1200st; 04-08-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

BugCollector
    Quote Originally Posted by wisernest View Post
    I've read a lot of posts from men about their S.O. But I'm curious to see how many women had an ex like mine where he hated the fact that I rode. Of course I would love to see how many women have great spouse - like Sara's - who say go ahead and go.

I Keep finding non riders in the dating pool so I'm keeping my feet dry for the summer.

Sharon
    I bought my 2004 R1150RT in December from a lady who was with a new guy that didn't ride. She must have said "I really miss my Harley" eight times while I was there buying the RT. The BMW was her Ex's. He had offered to learn to ride on the RT, but that's not the greatest bike to learn on.

Well my SO does ride but is fairly new to the sport (5yrs) as opposed to me. I started riding when I was about 19 and took off some 15yrs then started again at age 49 or so. Her idea of a ride is to go out for an afternoon and maybe grab a bite to eat on the way then head home.

Me, well I think I have a few trips in me that I would like to do. I am retired and she is not so I have the luxury of time too. I do have a few other friends I can ride with.

In my younger years I did two week long trips, one to Toronto and another to Cape Cod. Life was much simpler then and I was more adventurous. I am trying to recapture that adventurous spirit once again and not let fear creep into my thoughts as I think about planning some trips and rides this summer.

It's amazing how life flies by and suddenly I realize how much I have insulated myself from the world and what it has to offer. I am trying to change my outlook and renew my faith in humanity and the kindness of strangers....wish me luck!
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by PattiB View Post
    It's amazing how life flies by and suddenly I realize how much I have insulated myself from the world and what it has to offer. I am trying to change my outlook and renew my faith in humanity and the kindness of strangers....wish me luck!
    You can ride anywhere you wish. I found out common sense and natural instincts allows me to ride to places I never thought possible. It's all in the attitude. Give yourself permission to do it. You don't need luck but I'll wish you best of luck anyway.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lenrt1200st View Post
    Okay. I arrived home from work last night, tired and stressed form the rat race! Pretty Wife was busy packing a picnic dinner. Her plan was for us to take a ride through the spring countryside and end up at a local State Park for dinner. Great idea and much needed escape for my soul.

I strapped the soft-side cooler onto the rack of my 2005 R1200GS and she threw her leg over her 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone. Off we went. I asked her to lead, which is a bit unusual, as she would prefer I do the heavy lifting; route planning, etc.

She afterwards expressed a new appreciation of my being in the lead... a couple of missed turns and I was asked to lead us back on the route to the State Park. All in good fun, even the missed turns.

I asked her to lead because it was her idea and I found out that when she rides alone, she has trouble keeping the "Dragonfly" under the posted limit... this old man has obviously been holding her back.

So it was a rather spirited run on some beautiful country roads. The whole experience was a great delight for me. IÔÇÖve watched this lady go from MSF BRC to competent rider over the past year. It tickled me to see her out in front and riding with such ease and grace. DonÔÇÖt get me wrong, she has led our little two-bike group before. However, the combination of a surprise picnic dinner, a nice ride after work, and observing her mastery of this sport will stay in my memory for a long time.

Len
    Very nice story. Thanks for sharing.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by wisernest View Post
    I've read a lot of posts from men about their S.O. But I'm curious to see how many women had an ex like mine where he hated the fact that I rode. . .

Sharon
    Yeah, especially since the whole thread is in the WOMEN's section...

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

I and two friends used to ride motorcycles when younger. Our wives are not the least bit interested in motorcycles and think them dangerous. As is to be expected, the men talked about motorcycles now and then and the wives knew that deep down they missed riding. At a party about four years ago we discovered that each wife had been encouraging her husband to get a motorcycle and ride again. There are now three happy re-entry riders of mature years riding once again.

Thank you SO.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks Ken

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Very nice story. Thanks for sharing.
    After all the post is in the Women of the MOA section, Pretty wife is an exceptionally fine example of feminine gender, and she certainly qualifies as a woman rider. ;-)

Len

Quote Originally Posted by lionlady View Post
    Yeah, especially since the whole thread is in the WOMEN's section...

P
    Well, I'm male and I'm in here reading the thread. My wife has never been on my bike, and likely never will.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Another thread got me thinking about how lucky I am to have my mechanic, Paul, who shares my passion for motorcycling. I'm wondering, how do you cope when the one you enjoy sharing life with doesn't see motorcycling as as compelling as you do. . . .

Voni
    Have something you do like doing together.
    It doesn't have to be everything

some thoughts

My brother rides a lot and has done so for 30 years. In high school, his girlfriend said" You will have to choose between that motorcycle and me". He said he has never looked back.

His current wife rides a Softtail.
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

I ride alone.

My guy partner absolutely dislikes my motorcycles so much and my passion for them so much that the "M" word is limited to 10 minutes per day! He says that any vehicle that is inherently unstable at rest is crazy and dangerous. "If ya can't back it up on grass easily it's too big for ya"! I have often helped my male campmates at a rally to back up on grass. Anyhoo, I will just do my thing, plan my trips, get the nerve up to actually leave and voila, my happiness and confidence level keeps growing with every trip. I did have an accident while riding alone....the only problem with that was that there was no one to hit the kill switch so the bike burnt to a crisp after it seized. It seems BMW's don't shut off when horizontal and have EFI! So lesson here...don't get knocked out so you can switch off the bike! My partner was a gem though in coming 1500 miles west to rescue me! So I got back on the horse in '09 and got my plans for this summer...without him...sniff!
    He should'a known I loved motorcycles...there was one R65LS parked in my livingroom when he first met me in '87!!!