Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In need of basic gear.

Started riding last year after 10 years,same problem,no gear,no exp. in clothing,checked out cuurent items on internet.Purchused used clothing 1st ,but purchased new helmet after reading info on web.Now I am starting to buy new clothing piece by piece.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

So, I'd suggest if you're his size and have some gear that didn't work for you, you find a way to send it his way . . .

That way he can learn too.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Welcome back to riding!!! My suggestion is that you get a new helmet and buy used clothing, while doing your research. For some of us this is a life long quest.

The best gear does not do you any good if it is hanging in the closet. I live in SC and ride in the heat, just like you in FL. If you go with a full face helmet, I can recommend a Shoei X-11 if it fits your head. The best vented full face helmet on the market. A helmet I would buy locally. I would wear it in the store for about 15 minutes to see if you have any pressure points. I would also value a "return" policy if the helmet does not fit right. I used to buy all my helmets on line, until I went this route at Cycle Gear. It was well worth it. For my slightly narrow head the Shoei X-11 is my first choice, second is the Nolan N013 (modular helmet) or the new Schuberth helmet.

As far as pants and jacket, you will need to get some mesh stuff for the Florida heat. With a liner you will be warmer and also have wet protection. Olympia comes to mind, so does BMW or Revit. I ride in a Aerostich suit all year long, but would also consider Motoport gear.

Gloves: With BMW brand or Held brand you can't go wrong. But consider TourMaster, Olympia, Alpinestar brands... Depends what you find used.

Boots: Sidi, BMW, TourMaster, Cruiserworks, Alpinestars are all good companies. But you can ride works boots for a while too. Just remember the protection of shin and ankles.

Surf the internet and read, read and read. Ask questions. Other brands to research are Hein Gericke, First Gear, Rukka. Check out BMW dealers on line and see what they have to offer, then check the flea market on this site, bmwinternet riders marketplace, and I have found good stuff on ebay and craigslist. Check out adventure rider website....

Best of luck.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Get good quality gear - you get what you pay for in the long run. Starting out I found used gear or by chance - someone's roommate stiffed them on rent & gave them moto gear for $$$ then they sold & had no clue what they had - that I picked up for a steal. - Dainese leather gear. Depends where you ride & live. And at some point - I hate to say - You'll be hit or get thrown off, or lay the bike down - you need gear to help you survive - Good Luck & ride safe & with someone
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    So, I'd suggest if you're his size and have some gear that didn't work for you, you find a way to send it his way . . .

That way he can learn too.

Voni
    sMiling
    Great idea Voni,now if you can get it off my wife.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

Maybe inspect and try on some equipment at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. I went to a similar venue (sponsered by Cycle World, I think) up in Greenville, SC last year and was surprised at the selection of gear. Also, if you have a S.O. and she rides, they had an excellent selection of women's riding gear too. I see that they're doing one in Daytona Beach early March, if you can wait two months:

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/static/show-info

Good luck, and welcome back to the fold!
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2004 R1150RS, forming a search committee to add another.