Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MD to NV on US 50: Advice, please!

lastsix
    Do you have time constraints on the trip? There are some roads in Texas you could enjoy since you are coming this far west if you have the time. I can point you in the right direction if you are interested. If you stay in Albany, Texas...be sure to eat at the Beehive...great place.

http://www.fortgriffinandbeehive.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lastsix View Post
    Do you have time constraints on the trip? There are some roads in Texas you could enjoy since you are coming this far west if you have the time. I can point you in the right direction if you are interested. If you stay in Albany, Texas...be sure to eat at the Beehive...great place.

http://www.fortgriffinandbeehive.com/
    Thanks for the Beehive recommendation -- I will definitely eat there and report back!

I do have a constraint, and that is to be in Las Vegas for the beginning of my Edelweiss tour on May 7. I also cannot leave Maryland until April 26. Apart from those constraints I'm free and easy! I've never been to the stretch between Jefferson and Albany, and would welcome recommendations. Thanks again.
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

lastsix
    Are you planning on riding through the DFW Metroplex?

Quote Originally Posted by lastsix View Post
    Are you planning on riding through the DFW Metroplex?
    Through it on the interstate (I-30, I believe). I only take the slab through cities.
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

BACKROAD.ADV
    Here are some pics taken April 28, 2008 of Blue Mesa, Gunnison, and Monarch Pass all along US 50.

Blue Mesa Reservoir

Monarch Pass

Gorgeous, but...

...these photos do not encourage me to cross this way in late April!
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

BACKROAD.ADV
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcruiser View Post
    ...these photos do not encourage me to cross this way in late April!
    Don't be discouraged. The passes are kept open, during that time of year the only barrier would be a weather pattern dropping precip.

But dress warmly in the morning.

And remember you can turn south at Pueblo, CO.

Backroad ADV

lastsix
    Michael...here are a few pics through Arkansas...

Eureka Springs, AR

Eureka Springs is a cool town to visit.

Highway 23...the Pig Trail Scenic Byway.

Highway 23...the Pig Trail Scenic Byway.

Ozark Mountains

Talimena Scenic Parkway

Talimena Scenic Parkway

There is a great restaurant on top of Rich Mountain at the State Park to eat lunch or Dinner at... http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

John, thank you for these pix. Gorgeous, and as close to a sure thing climatically as I'm likely to get that time of year! I'm sold.
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

I hope you have a great & safe ride! I gotta ask:why, with your obvious ability to travel a really long ways on your own, what caused you to pay $$$ for the Grand Canyon part of the trip that couldn't be done on your own? The Canyon and the roads around it belong to the people, right?
    BTW, US50 is neat in spots but there are other 2 lanes in my native Kansas, that offer nice scenery & riding, so check the map out a bit-maybe google scenic roads in each state you'll hiy and then put it all together where it makes some sense as a continuous route-enjoy!!!

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I hope you have a great & safe ride! I gotta ask:why, with your obvious ability to travel a really long ways on your own, what caused you to pay $$$ for the Grand Canyon part of the trip that couldn't be done on your own? The Canyon and the roads around it belong to the people, right?
    BTW, US50 is neat in spots but there are other 2 lanes in my native Kansas, that offer nice scenery & riding, so check the map out a bit-maybe google scenic roads in each state you'll hiy and then put it all together where it makes some sense as a continuous route-enjoy!!!
    I'm with Kantuckid on choosing a different road across Kansas. 50, at least from here West to the mountains, is pretty full of trucks and there isn't much to see. If I was coming out of AR around Fayetteville, I'd probably stay South of 50 over to NM. OK and southern KS have some great two-lane roads, and you can avoid all the larger towns if you want. Pick up 50 somewhere in CO or not.

When taking a long ride, I like using maps to plot out the next couple of hundred miles rather than planning the entire ride before leaving home. Sometimes 50 miles north or south can make a big difference in the riding conditions. All roads lead to the Grand Canyon........eventually.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Kantuckid,

I have experience with Edelweiss, and like them a lot. Plus, as I indicated, my wife will be flying in, and she really likes the Edelweiss quality as well. And the price isn't that high if one provides one's own bike!

Yeah, I'm now pretty much decided on abandoning 50 at St. Louis, going down the Mississip, crossing Arkansas through Eureka Springs then across North Texas. More interesting and likely safer for climate, too.
    Last edited by mdcruiser; 01-16-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

Motorcycleton
    Last year I purchased a K75S that was located in California. My wife and I flew out to Ca and rode it back to Ohio during June. In the western US we traveled US 50. I thought that the road was fantastic and highly recommend that you take this route (to the extent possible).

Here are links to various wiki pages on US 50 -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Colorado
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Utah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by robsmoto View Post
    Last year I purchased a K75S that was located in California. My wife and I flew out to Ca and rode it back to Ohio during June. In the western US we traveled US 50. I thought that the road was fantastic and highly recommend that you take this route (to the extent possible).

Here are links to various wiki pages on US 50 -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Colorado
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Utah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada
    Oh believe me, if I was riding out in June I would be on route 50 all the way from maryland. But I've been told by more than a few people that going through the mountains in late April is dicey. Maybe I'll look at the weather forecasts a week before departing!
    Michael
    05 R1200RT Dark Graphite

Hwy 50

As several have suggested, you can come west on Hwy 50 all the way to Pueblo, CO and then see how it's looking across the Rockies. If it's looking dicey, head south down I-25 to Walsenburg (about 45 miles on the interstate), turn west on Hwy 160 over La Veta Pass (the Sangre de Cristo range is very narrow, you can be up and over in 20 minutes). Turn south at Fort Garland, CO (visit the fort), head south through San Luis, CO (oldest town in CO) to Taos. Visit Taos and Santa Fe. Ride the Enchanted Circle that circles Taos ski area. If the mountains are having bad weather, head west on Hwy 64 across northern NM, (Farmington and Shiprock), then Cortez CO (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park), and work you way back up to Hwy 50.

Just hang loose....be flexible and it's going to be awesome!!!

piperjim
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP