Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be the GS Giant?

My GS Giant Scorebook has arrived, been printed and perused. I'm in the Big Leagues now boy.

Very nicely done also.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    [Much other stuff, like ride-in movies, special seminars that aren't on the schedule (because the Giant isn't all that organized.... )
    There is nothing free, riders have to get down and dirty.

Folks, its has been an adventure inviting guests months in advance and they didn't decide to join us till after everything went to print. Its almost as bad as those registering late. You just don't know who is coming...........

The presentation and seminar situation happens at some Horizons Unlimited meetings, there will be open time, so the organizers will walk through the camping area looking for someone with a powerpoint presentation ..... don't worry my sharp eyes will be out looking on Rally Wednesday and Thursday. And in the spirit of that storied rider community we have Rene Cormier attending our event and he has offered his time to give everyone a Road Scholar eductaion unless someone else is delaying his journey........and we can't find a projector.

Then our Gypsie Tour leader Patrick Trahan of Dakar fame had a terrible accident in west Africa and is now in Physical Therapy. Best wishes to Patrick and thank you Twisted Throttle in supporting him and us. Patrick is another Canadian.

Now, Twisted Throttle is kind enough to find a replacement so they are sending a German Trainee that some how ended up in their luggage from Garmisch. He is coming to the BMW MOA rally to learn English since our members are so PC on the forum, what better place to be embraced by such a nice family..........I hope our French speakers do not confuse him.

And I heard a rumor, whoever wins the GS Giant event(s) has to Chair the GS Giant in Missouri ........ the show me state.

Its been an adventure..........and thank you for being part of it.

Christopher Dawe
    a.k.a. Herr An'al
    GS Co-Chair and Local Resource Chair
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Ian, Chris, and all those who have worked so hard on this event, I want to say thanks. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Just received scorebook, fixin to send to Kinko's to get printed. Then I realize my number is 13, HOLY MOLY what did I do? How can this be, they don't have a 13th floor in office buildings, NO one numbers a race car 13. How can I ever get my helmet on straight knowing this?

Just had to vent, by the way, if this counts as BS points against me please retract the last paragraph.

Still looking for more folks to rent small bikes for the Trials track and MSF Training so please spread the word around.

Dan
    GSMmotoRent.com
    8459 St. Hwy. 73
    Townsend, TN 37882
    865-448-6090

Quote Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
    Ian, Chris, and all those who have worked so hard on this event, I want to say thanks. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Just received scorebook, fixin to send to Kinko's to get printed. Then I realize my number is 13, HOLY MOLY what did I do? How can this be, they don't have a 13th floor in office buildings, NO one numbers a race car 13. How can I ever get my helmet on straight knowing this?

Just had to vent, by the way, if this counts as BS points against me please retract the last paragraph.

Still looking for more folks to rent small bikes for the Trials track and MSF Training so please spread the word around.

Dan
    i actually thought about this when sending out your score book. "should i just skip to 14? i asked.

"no... this is karma. Dan is such a good rider that he needs some psyching out."

others should thank me. my evil plan is working.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Cool Its a wolf .......... its a wolf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i actually thought about this when sending out your score book. "should i just skip to 14? i asked.

"no... this is karma. Dan is such a good rider that he needs some psyching out."

others should thank me. my evil plan is working.

ian

It is for 12 jurors and 1 judge, the wearer is his own Judge and Jury ....... a Lone Wolf biker

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

For those who asked (or over-analyzed)

RULES CLARIFICATION

You can do up to 10 stops on the Stop-InÔÇÖs list of places across the country. OR you can do up to 20 stops from the PA BS list.

So itÔÇÖs one list or the other, but not both.

Scoring Note

When completing your stops, detours, etc. please make clear and concise notes in your scorebook which will later be reviewed by a scorekeeper. Also, please try to organize (and preferrably name) your photos on an SD card, disc, or some other readable device. Occasional interesting photos of your travels and accomplishments may be posted on Facebook and the forum but will not count towards your score with the exception of fulfilling specific requests.

Repost of Schedule, just so's it's not buried in the tread....

Here is the schedule of GS Giant Events, hopefully we pull of everything!!!

Here is a complete Schedule of Events. Note that some overlap, since everyone won't be interested in doing everything:

SUNDAY, JULY 10 - SATURDAY, JULY 23

Ride Adventure detours and do Stop-ins during your ride to the rally.
    Take day rides around the rally.

SUNDAY, JULY 17 - TUESDAY, JULY 19

The GS Gypsy Tour starts in Marienville, PA and ends in Stillwater, PA

MONDAY, JULY 18 - THURSDAY, JULY 21

MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm (# of days depends on demand, we'll cancel the early days if they don't)

WEDNESDAY, JULY 20

9:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
    Warmup at the Family Farm
    Depart from Rally Site (or Gypsy Tour) to Off Site Location

9:00 AM ÔÇô 5:00 PM
    Rider Performance University (RPU): MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm
    Rally Grounds Parking Lot

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    AltRider's 2nd Annual Giant Loop Adventure Ride
    Depart from AltRider booth

THURSDAY, JULY 21

9:00 & 11:00 AM, 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00 PM (every 2 hours)
    RPU: BMW Performance Center Training Demos
    GS Giant Track (Race Track)

RPU : MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm
    Rally Grounds Parking Lot

Day Ride downloads and route sheets - visit the GS Giant area

Evening: Ride-in movies - Race Track infield

FRIDAY, JULY 22

8:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
    BMW Performance Center Adventure Ride
    Depart from GS Giant Track (Race Track)

8:00 AM ÔÇô 5:00 PM
    RPU: The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde
    Departs from RawHyde Designated Area

9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
    Tech Inspection for GS Giant Competition
    GS Giant Track (Race Track infield)

3:00 PM ÔÇô 6:00 PM
    GS Giant Competition

Evening: Ride-in movies - Race Track infield

SATURDAY, JULY 23

8:00 AM
    GS Tech Inspection Opens for Open Track
    Outside of GS Giant Track

8:00 AM ÔÇô 5:00 PM
    The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde
    Departs from RawHyde Designated Area

Open Track Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    There is nothing free, riders have to get down and dirty.
    Best wishes to Patrick and thank you Twisted Throttle in supporting him and us. Patrick is another Canadian.

Now, Twisted Throttle is kind enough to find a replacement so they are sending a German Trainee that some how ended up in their luggage from Garmisch. He is coming to the BMW MOA rally to learn English since our members are so PC on the forum, what better place to be embraced by such a nice family..........I hope our French speakers do not confuse him.

And I heard a rumor, whoever wins the GS Giant event(s) has to Chair the GS Giant in Missouri ........ the show me state.

Its been an adventure..........and thank you for being part of it.

Christopher Dawe
    a.k.a. Herr An'al
    GS Co-Chair and Local Resource Chair
    Wow! Best wishes to Patrick also.

I will only teach him the nice words I promise.

Ok if you insist and, if I win.

Thank you!

It is going to be a great time for sure.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

Routes to Bloomsburg and Marienville

Giants and Gypsies:

Here are some less-paved routes that were prepared for approaches to (1) the Rally site from Thurmont MD, and (2) to Marienville from Thurmont MD, Conowingo MD, Valley Forge PA and Green Spring WV, that didn't make it into print. They are in .gdb format, using Mapsource 6.16.3 and City Navigator NA NT maps 2012.1. I guarantee they'll be fun, with water crossings and plenty of off-pavement in the mountains.

Whether you're going to Bloomsburg or Marienville, or both, use part of these routes to catch more BS Points while digging around in Pennsylvania's forests.

Also check out the adventure tours in your scorebook, which has more approach routes to the Rally site and the Gypsy Tour site.

Fred
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FredRydr; 07-12-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Pa four corners completed

The roads where fun. Here are some photos and trip log from my Spot Adventure pages.

GS Giant four corners run

Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures

Alaine,

I like the Spot Adventures and the way it nicely organized the pics! Thanks!

I've scored your 4-corners ride. See me on the Gypsy Tour to get your scorebook stamped.

That Spot thing is pretty sweet! I've got the North and South west done. Will have to wait till the rally to get the eastern points. The south was way better than the north in my opinion. A lot more gravel and dirt to ride.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldewaay View Post
    The roads where fun. Here are some photos and trip log from my Spot Adventure pages.

GS Giant four corners run

Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures
    now wait just a minute... is that Interstate highways I see on this route?

Certainly there is *something* to cause loss of GS BS points for that total lameness...

Mistress Scorekeeper, quick, make up a new rule!

on the cool Spot show.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar

Smile Getting a R80 this weekend

I'm going to pick up an R80ST this weekend in North Carolina. It's only 950 miles away. No big deal, right? As some people will know, the R80ST was built out of the R80GS. The ST has a smaller front wheel and shorter suspension. It seems to me that those things are pretty easily changed.

Perhaps it will morph into something like.......THIS!

So, I'll be buzzing through Pennsylvania this weekend...twice. If timing has it, I'll be staying overnight at a roadside no-tell-motel in PA on Saturday night before finishing the final leg home to New Hampshire. Maybe I can stop in at Bloomsburg and see what's happening. I will be taking I-81.