Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Bikes

Back when the Hurt report first came out, I remember being impressed by a statistic that said most accidents happened to new riders (first 90 days I think) or those on borrowed bikes. Riding an unfamiliar bike can be problematic if you encounter a situation that requires intense braking or maneuvers.

As for loaning a bike, you really want to know something about the rider's skill and mindset. Even a minor tip over on a faired bike can be really expensive. I've also met a few would be test pilots who gave every vehicle they borrowed a 10/10ths workout.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I have no problem letting my bestest HD buddy ride any of my bikes. He rides them better than I do. I am however, not interested in riding his land yacht-Ultra Glide.

I'll convert him yet!
    09 HP2 Sport: '06 K12R; '09 Buell XB9SX

Doug,

Are you sure that was an R12R?

An R12R has a gear indicator - actually much bigger and easier to read then the one on the K75 (and it doesn't get confused when it gets wet out..)

Vibration above 4k - - well you can feel the engine. But along with that, around 4K is when the engine becomes interesting (not running out of breath like the K75..) 5K it comes ALIVE.

And almost everyone who has ridden an R12R - comes back and buys one. Especially if they came off a K75.. (BDTD..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

As a track instructor I sometimes drive student cars BUT I will never flog someone elses machine like I will my own. For one thing, I didn't prep it or even know for certain (beyond usual tech checks) that it is sound. I've gotten to drive a whole lot of very pricey stuff I'd never buy as well as develop my own opinions of the relative merits of some very expensive toys.

Same holds true for bikes not mine- but I will ride one if interested and its offered.
    Day after tomorrow I've been offered a chance to use a friends K bike so I don't have to bring my RT- not sure yet what I'll do because I prefer mine but I want to ride and mine may not be there.

I've seen competent racers abuse and destroy engines on loaners- forgetting to use their skills in a courteous manner and then not covering the damage. Another reason I won't flog someone else's too hard- I coludn't do that with a clear consciece and don't want to buy anyone else a motor. But for more gentle street use, this isn't really an issue.

As a track instructor I sometimes drive student cars BUT I will never flog someone elses machine like I will my own. For one thing, I didn't prep it or even know for certain (beyond usual tech checks) that it is sound. I've gotten to drive a whole lot of very pricey stuff I'd never buy as well as develop my own opinions of the relative merits of some very expensive toys driving stuff owned by others.

Same holds true for bikes not mine- but I will ride one if interested and its offered.
    Day after tomorrow I've been offered a chance to use a friends K bike so I don't have to bring my RT- not sure yet what I'll do because I prefer mine but I want to ride and mine may not be there. Not a question of beating it to death- jut a casual street ride- and I have done some work on that bike so know it is in OK shape.

I've seen competent racers abuse and destroy engines on loaners- forgetting to use their skills in a courteous manner and then not covering the damage. Another reason I won't flog someone else's too hard- I couldn't do that with a clear conscience and don't want to buy anyone else a motor. But for more gentle street use, this isn't really an issue.

I have loaned one of my own track toys to others who normally drive similar stuff- but that had a rotary motor that for practical purposes can't be over revved and had a very soft clutch to help protect the tranny from shock loads- plus a whole lot of other stuff done to make stuff track reliable.

Just to show that I am not only a loanee, but a loaner, here's a shot of Richard Sheckler after trying out my 1928 R52:

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Darryl, does anyone ever wear gear when riding your R52? Brent wasn't.

Or is the big smile all that is needed?

I've loaned others my machines, and ridden other's bikes, but only when the riders are familiar with that type of machine, and there is either a spoken or unspoken agreement that if something goes wrong the borrower will take care of the problem.

Everything will likely go OK, until a hazard appears suddenly, requiring a quick response. Then, unfamiliarity can put you in trouble. The same is true for the novice rider on his/her first bike, or a rider who has just purchased a different machine. It takes several months of riding for the operating techniques to become subconscious enough to respond correctly to emergencies.

I had a nasty crash in July on a borrowed machine, a Triumph sport bike with which I was unfamiliar. I flipped over the bars attempting to do a quick stop, reverting to my BMW muscle memory. I've never crashed someone else's machine, but I've been on rides where someone on a borrowed bike crashed. It's enough of a known hazard that some event organizers have a written rule against swapping.

I've sometimes ridden someone else's machine in a controlled situation such as around the rally grounds. I've seldom wanted to swap bikes during a ride, but from here on out it will be an ironclad personal rule.

You're free to write your own rules, of course.

pmdave

Don, now that you mention it, I'm sure the bike was either an 1100 or a 1150. (Really must remember to fully engage brain before activating my typing fingers.) Anyway, it DIDN'T have a gear indicator and DID vibrate a lot. I understand the 1200's are much better in that respect.

By the way, the K75 had lots of power above 5000 rpm. (Running out of breath?) The same is true (only more so) of my current K100RS four valve. Guess I will take pmdave's advice and not try a 1200 - might create a need I didn't even know I had.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    ... Guess I will take pmdave's advice and not try a 1200 - might create a need I didn't even know I had.
    I really think you should head on down to the dealer and try out a few machines. The economy needs a boost.

I've done my part already by channeling lots and lots of Medicare bucks and co-payments to various fire departments, hospitals, X-ray technicians, surgeons, anesthesiologists, drug companies and occupational therapists.

pmdave

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Don, now that you mention it, I'm sure the bike was either an 1100 or a 1150. (Really must remember to fully engage brain before activating my typing fingers.) Anyway, it DIDN'T have a gear indicator and DID vibrate a lot. I understand the 1200's are much better in that respect.

By the way, the K75 had lots of power above 5000 rpm. (Running out of breath?) The same is true (only more so) of my current K100RS four valve. Guess I will take pmdave's advice and not try a 1200 - might create a need I didn't even know I had.
    Kinda thought so. The 11xx and hexhead 1200's are really much different.

And Eilenberger's Law #13 covers the rest ride situation: http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm

I purposely broke it when I found the R1150RS was causing me not to ride much.. (and I'd test sat the R12R at the NYC moto show a few months before - and immediately thought "BMW has finally made a bike just for me.." - that opinion hasn't changed..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

great shots, darryl!

but i think the risks of swapping vintage bikes are mitigated by the unwritten understanding about how one treats the machinery.

i only swap bikes with the most trusted of riders/friends, people who also ride built bikes. we expect each other to "try out the accessories"

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Just to show that I am not only a loanee, but a loaner, here's a shot of Richard Sheckler after trying out my 1928 R52:

i am definitely hitting you up for a ride the next time i see you!

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Darryl, does anyone ever wear gear when riding your R52? Brent wasn't.

It's part of the vintage experience.

Or is the big smile all that is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i am definitely hitting you up for a ride the next time i see you!

You know, those hardtail bikes aren't so good in the dirt...