Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Year round easy tenting!

Year round easy tenting!

Bibler is my question? I'm a year round camper in all weather and want to move into an easy/quick/bad weather, setup tent, with bombproof abilities! Bibler has been on my mind for years and pricey is indeed an understatement, regarding these, BUT??? Anybody using these single walled units and how good/happy are you folks? I think Utah is their home and I'll be glad to hear some input about'em. 500$ and up are common prices so far, on sale. I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good. ARE they that good? Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Bibler is my question? I'm a year round camper in all weather and want to move into an easy/quick/bad weather, setup tent, with bombproof abilities! Bibler has been on my mind for years and pricey is indeed an understatement, regarding these, BUT??? Anybody using these single walled units and how good/happy are you folks? I think Utah is their home and I'll be glad to hear some input about'em. 500$ and up are common prices so far, on sale. I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good. ARE they that good? Randy
    A single wall tent will be as having a shower head installed nicely in the mornings.
    Check the Hilleberg tents. Ground, tent, fly always attached. Quich set up in wind, rain, snow... It is the only true tent used by the Mt Everest expeditions and others around the World. It has changed our Journey for ourselves... If you need more info let me know.
    Be well... Ara & Spirit

And, it comes in

RED!!!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    And, it comes in

RED!!!

Voni
    sMiling
    Don't mean to contradict you Voni but green should be the color. Too many birds and animals are attracted to red... (we know Paul is... ). Stealth mode amongst Nature is a better way to camp...

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerchef View Post
    Don't mean to contradict you Voni but green should be the color. Too many birds and animals are attracted to red... (we know Paul is... ). Stealth mode amongst Nature is a better way to camp...
    I'd like to see a few more birds when I'm camping and there is research showing that male homo-sapiens can be attracted with the color red, but mammals in the wild are more likely to be attracted by scent.

SAR organizations would prefer you use a bright color. Red, orange or yellow are good choices for your tent color. Some say, although I could not confirm this, that NOLS prefers navy, which blends in well and fits better with the Leave No Trace philosophy.

I'll err on the side of safety. Better RED than dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post
    I'd like to see a few more birds when I'm camping and there is research showing that male homo-sapiens can be attracted with the color red, but mammals in the wild are more likely to be attracted by scent.

SAR organizations would prefer you use a bright color. Red, orange or yellow are good choices for your tent color. Some say, although I could not confirm this, that NOLS prefers navy, which blends in well and fits better with the Leave No Trace philosophy.

I'll err on the side of safety. Better RED than dead.
    I also don't care for the birds to poop on the tent... just a personal preference...

*Keep in mind we can on the hack afford the 9+lbs of this tent...

Be well, Ara ^ Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good. ARE they that good? Randy
    How about "tent suspended from fly"? I recently upgraded to an Exped Venus II for that reason. Pitch the fly and the tent is automatically pitched inside.

I got the exped after my last trip of the season so have only set it up in the back yard. Lots of pics here.

Last edited by marchyman; 12-04-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add pic

Thx:)

Some new stuff here I've not heard of. The Bibler is not supposed to leak? But you say a single wall will leak if touched inside! I'll check carefully for my next tent and have found myself to be a tent junky, with so many stashed in my garage. A couple really good ones, but none perfect! Randy

Hilleberg:)

I looked at their site. A neat unit in these tents. Thanks for the input, as this is what I'm looking for, the good and better stuff out there! My last tent in my next purchase...right, for a tent junky to say! Randy

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    How about "tent suspended from fly"? I recently upgraded to an Exped Venus II for that reason. Pitch the fly and the tent is automatically pitched inside.

I got the exped after my last trip of the season so have only set it up in the back yard. Lots of pics here.

+1 on Exped... I recently reviewed the Exped Andromeda II. Expeds are a small click below Hilleberg in terms of overall durability, a click above in flexibility, from what I've seen, there is a difference in price, too. Hillebergs are quite expensive (and worth it).

However, Randy, I would not recommend the Andromeda for you, since the peak height isn't what it needs to be for us old farts. (imo)

The Venus that Marchyman points to is a better option. it's peak height is about 5" higher than the andromeda.

although it's hard to beat the vestibule on the Andromeda.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

THX Ian:)

Good input and appreciated. I need a real weather,easy pitch tent and have had a really great REI Bullfrog(a favorite) for single use, but want another tent, that has an easier setup, regarding fly's or even no fly, as in the Bibler's. The Hilleberg's seem the ticket and I look hard at them. Height, old fart'ism? I guess I'm in that breed now, but at least know with the "wisdom" that comes in all this aging, that the good stuff is worth the price paid and I'm a camper for life, no age barrier. Happy Trails, Randy

Height...
    I like enough height so I can sit up and get my t-shirt on, in the morning.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I ruled out some great tents because they required staking out. I can't remember when I last pitched a tent and didn't stake it down, but I find I often do some fine tweaking of the position between pitching and staking to make sure the tent is properly positioned with respect to any slant in the ground. And it seems like there is alway some slant wherever I camp.

Another thing to look at is the length. I'm 6' tall and find that some tents just aren't long enough. The Venus II pictured above is OK, but if I were 6'2" it would be too short. The slant of the tent walls can make a tent that looks long enough on paper turn out to be too short in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    +1 on Exped... I recently reviewed the Exped Andromeda II. Expeds are a small click below Hilleberg in terms of overall durability, a click above in flexibility, from what I've seen, there is a difference in price, too. Hillebergs are quite expensive (and worth it).

However, Randy, I would not recommend the Andromeda for you, since the peak height isn't what it needs to be for us old farts. (imo)

The Venus that Marchyman points to is a better option. it's peak height is about 5" higher than the andromeda.

although it's hard to beat the vestibule on the Andromeda.

ian
    Love that last photo! I use the same chair (and color!) same table, same mug... but the tent is a Hilleberg which actually looks similar! It all fits in the larger vestibule for rainy days.

Be well... Ara & Spirit